The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] A (realistic?) way to get 3rd or 4th overall

[proposal] A (realistic?) way to get 3rd or 4th overall

Unfortunately, I think it will be impossible to get a top two pick in this draft unless we part ways with Elias Pettersson (something that we should NOT do obviously).

However - I do see an opportunity to land 3rd or 4th overall that is still within the shades of reality.   So here’s what I had in mind:

Step 1:  Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + 8th.

Step 2:  2nd rounder for Corey Perry + 9th.  Perry’s 8.625 million dollar cap hit, combined with his chronic injuries, makes him a pure cap dump at this point.

Step 3:   8th overall + 9th overall for 3rd or 4th overall.

[please note - I’m not really sure if I would trade 8th AND 9th for 4th.  Truth be told, I might actually hold onto both picks in this hypothetical.  However - since this thread is about “how to get the 3rd or 4th,” I’ll proceed forward]

Canucks welcome Bowen Byram to the fold in front of a sold out Rogers Arena.  Vancouver’s own.

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Lucic-Gaudette-Perry

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Byram-Schenn (If Byram doesn’t make the line-up and needs another year, Hutton stays).

Markstrom

Demko

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

Your idea breaks at step 2.  If the Ducks are indeed starting to rebuild, there's no way they trade the 9th OA pick just to get rid of Perry.  They need that pick more than the Canucks do and getting a 2nd round pick in return just doesn't cut it.

Step 3 doesn't really work either.  If I am the Hawks or Avelanchers, I am keeping that 3rd or 4th OA pick.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Unfortunately, I think it will be impossible to get a top two pick in this draft unless we part ways with Elias Pettersson (something that we should NOT do obviously).

However - I do see an opportunity to land 3rd or 4th overall that is still within the shades of reality.   So here’s what I had in mind:

Step 2:  2nd rounder for Corey Perry + 9th.  Perry’s 8.625 million dollar cap hit, combined with his chronic injuries, makes him a pure cap dump at this point.

[please note - I’m not really sure if I would trade 8th AND 9th for 4th.  Truth be told, I might actually hold onto both picks in this hypothetical.  However - since this thread is about “how to get the 3rd or 4th,” I’ll proceed forward]

Canucks welcome Bowen Byram to the fold in front of a sold out Rogers Arena.  Vancouver’s own.

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Lucic-Gaudette-Perry

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Byram-Schenn (If Byram doesn’t make the line-up and needs another year, Hutton stays).

Markstrom

Demko

Anaheim only has 2 more year of Perry's contract.  I think their window has closed and they know it.  Absolutely no point of trading the 9th overall just to get rid of Perry.  Like you mentionned, he has chronic injuries....they'll probably just keep him and put him on IR most of the time.    Otherwise buyout would probably be wiser.  He would only cost 2.6M, 6.6M, 2M and 2M on the cap for the next 4 years, instead of 8.6M for the next two.

But with Kesler on IR for at least 1 year....I don't think cap space will be a problem for them, so I think they'll just keep Perry for another 2 years.

• Cheers 1

Step 1:  Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + 8th.    (Why do Canucks do this without having Steps 2 and 3 confirmed, Lucic and 8th in this draft would be a horrible result from the 10th and LE....absolutely horrible)

Not a hope an aging Ducks team will trade top 10 pick for a second rounder.     Perry's cap hit hurts them for sure but this would be such a massively dumb move by the Ducks.   

Step 3:   8th overall + 9th overall for 3rd or 4th overall.    This is possible.   However, why would you move two top 10 picks in a great draft for that pick?   BB is a great prospect but if you have 8 and 10, you likely get TWO future top six forwards.     TWO.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Step 1:  Eriksson + 10th for Lucic + 8th.    (Why do Canucks do this without having Steps 2 and 3 confirmed, Lucic and 8th in this draft would be a horrible result from the 10th and LE....absolutely horrible)

Not a hope an aging Ducks team will trade top 10 pick for a second rounder.     Perry's cap hit hurts them for sure but this would be such a massively dumb move by the Ducks.   

Step 3:   8th overall + 9th overall for 3rd or 4th overall.    This is possible.   However, why would you move two top 10 picks in a great draft for that pick?   BB is a great prospect but if you have 8 and 10, you likely get TWO future top six forwards.     TWO.

If we did (somehow) get the Oilers 8 OA pick, wouldn't JB be far more likely to trade 8 and 10 for 2, providing Crappo goes first overall?  I think JB would only move up to get Jack Hughes.  

Just now, Alflives said:

If we did (somehow) get the Oilers 8 OA pick, wouldn't JB be far more likely to trade 8 and 10 for 2, providing Crappo goes first overall?  I think JB would only move up to get Jack Hughes.  

Not a hope the first or second picks go for those two picks.   Not a hope.    Quantity over quality may work for some at the bar at closing time but in the NHL under the CAP, unless a hand is forced by a veteran player who wants out (e.g. demands a trade and/or won't re-sign), the days of this sort of deal are almost dead and certainly in terms of pick movement very dead.

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Lucic-Gaudette-Perry

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Markstrom

Demko

If we have the 8 and 9 picks, I'd keep them and take the 2 BPA.  I don't think Byram is  better than say Podkolzin+ Cozens or Caufield+Sieder (or whatever combo).  I also don't think that any team is going to give up a top 10 pick to rid themselves of a bad contract.  Is there an example of this happening in the past?  I can get behind the ML for LE with a swap of picks though, I really like that idea.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If we have the 8 and 9 picks, I'd keep them and take the 2 BPA.  I don't think Byram is  better than say Podkolzin+ Cozens or Caufield+Sieder (or whatever combo).  I also don't think that any team is going to give up a top 10 pick to rid themselves of a bad contract.  Is there an example of this happening in the past?  I can get behind the ML for LE with a swap of picks though, I really like that idea.

Maybe in the new capped NHL two really good players (who together will eat as much as one great player in cap) are better for winning the Cup than one star?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe in the new capped NHL two really good players (who together will eat as much as one great player in cap) are better for winning the Cup than one star?

There's no guarantees... Better to have two kicks at the can then one. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

5 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Better to have Magnum vs TC, Higgins and Rick.:P

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] A (realistic?) way to get 3rd or 4th overall
3 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Stajanov and then Antoski...consecutive first overall for Vancouver under Quin....maybe we should give Benning some slack for OJ...

I would take on Perry’s contract plus give up a 2nd rounder to get the 9th overall from ANA (even though ANA is unlikely to do this).

I would not do the Lucic deal. I’d prefer to keep Loui and find a way to trade him at a later date without taking such a big hit.

So we are left with 9th and 10th overall.

Then we either pick BPA at those picks, or trade them at the draft for the 3rd, 4th or 5th overall (if Byram is still available).

I think to get to pick 3 or 4 we should make a trade with Detroit at 6 and then another trade to move to 3 or 4.  That way Chicago or Colorado have a better feeling about still getting their guy at #6  instead of having to wait until # 10 to see who is left.  The trade(s) would likely have to include draft picks and a few players but I am not sure what player needs we could fill for Detroit and Chicago/Colorado.