The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree with why the team wants to see what their options are but if Edler really wants to sty here why would he wait to let the team explore other options(FA's) and risk the possibility that a replacement is found for him? Now it appears term and money are more of an issue for him then staying here. It just seems contradictory to what he has been saying up until now.

Absolutely.  You’d think the deal would already be done.  So far Bennings treated all his UFAs with the utmost respect...but he sure doesn’t fool around with any young guys BS so you have to wonder if he’s running out of patience...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I agree with why the team wants to see what their options are but if Edler really wants to sty here why would he wait to let the team explore other options(FA's) and risk the possibility that a replacement is found for him? Now it appears term and money are more of an issue for him then staying here. It just seems contradictory to what he has been saying up until now.

it seems pretty simple to me; the guy's first priority is security and control. his second priority is staying in vancouver. 

edler wants to play beyond the expansion draft. he feels, rightfully, that he's earned another contract long enough in term and high enough in value that it should be his last, without the need to sign 1 year deals as a 35+ player. he feels he's earned the right to decide where he plays. he wants security against injuries over the next few years to protect his family. his first choice is to have those things in vancouver, but if something has to be sacrificed, it'll probably be the locale. 

it's an entirely understandable and reasonable position to take. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

You missed the whole point of my post. If he refused to go to a contender because he really wants to stay in Vancouver then why has he not signed an extension yet? All of a sudden it appears there is a BUT in the equation now.

Edler's probably enjoying time with his family and letting his agent handle this. As is his job.

Agent's likely waiting until the 23rd until he can talk to other teams to get as much leverage as possible to get as good of a deal as he can for his client in VAN. As is his job.

Y'all got a case of premature consternation.

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler's probably enjoying time with his family and letting his agent handle this. As is his job.

Agent's likely waiting until the 23rd until he can talk to other teams to get as much leverage as possible to get as good of a deal as he can for his client in VAN. As is his job.

But we have to have something to b)&ch about or contemplate...free agency and the draft couldn’t come sooner..

• Cheers 1

Let Edler walk.  There is no positive outcome to signing him as he will be done in another year or two.  Throwing money at him and giving in to his ntc demands are stupid.  Let him, and his agent go see what other teams are willing to give him..

3 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Let Edler walk.  There is no positive outcome to signing him as he will be done in another year or two.  Throwing money at him and giving in to his ntc demands are stupid.  Let him, and his agent go see what other teams are willing to give him..

Edler: 4 years for 20 million:  NMC first two seasons; limited NTC final two seasons; as much money as possible paid out first 2 seasons.

Sign EK on July 1: 7 years for 77 million.  NMC first 4 seasons; limited NTC final three seasons; as much money paid out as possible first 4 seasons. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Edler has been good the past couple of yrs. So 2 yrs x 6.5 mill, or perhaps 3 yrs x 6(no protection from ED) is reasonable. Decide quickly, or walk..simple.

If he balks trade our #10 pick, Baer & meh prospect to LA, for #5 OA & Phaneuf. Just tolerate this tugboat(bit of a stealth-manoeuvre) for one season. Play him less, with a righty that can skate. Then buy out last yr, or bury as #23, 24 roster guy.

JB with a top-5 pick, can sometimes work miracles.

You'd give that trash defense 6.5 million? Wow. He was average at least last year defensively (aka not a liability) and you want to give him 6 mill. That's difference making money. He's a spot filler. 

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Parayko makes 5.5 and he can actually defend. People wanna pay this kid 6.5?!

I don't agree with 6.5, but you have to also consider the fact that Parayko signed his contract a couple of years ago and the money on these deals keep going up. Parayko would probably get at least 6.5 nowadays if not more.

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't agree with 6.5, but you have to also consider the fact that Parayko signed his contract a couple of years ago and the money on these deals keep going up. Parayko would probably get at least 6.5 nowadays if not more.

I agree Parayko would market 6.5 today, however Edler isn't even in the same league when it comes to the position of defense. I'd argue he's maybe around half the defender he is. When he's really on his game, yeah, worth 6.5 absolutely but we get that 1 out of every 4 games. Fortunately the past 2 years Edler has limited his liability games significantly but I think those few years of really not giving a rat's ass really soured my outlook on him. He's just too lazy too often for me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I agree Parayko would market 6.5 today, however Edler isn't even in the same league when it comes to the position of defense. I'd argue he's maybe around half the defender he is. When he's really on his game, yeah, worth 6.5 absolutely but we get that 1 out of every 4 games. Fortunately the past 2 years Edler has limited his liability games significantly but I think those few years of really not giving a rat's ass really soured my outlook on him. He's just too lazy too often for me. 

Parayko was also an RFA with only a couple NHL seasons under his belt. If he was signing a contract today, buying more UFA years, he'd likely be getting upwards of $7.5+ and FAR more term.

Apples and oranges.

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd love to hear it come out later on that Edler, Benning, and Edler's agent have already sealed the contract and are just throwing out false information to the media through second and third hand avenues, just to f with the rumor mill.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Parayko was also an RFA with only a couple NHL seasons under his belt. If he was signing a contract today, buying more UFA years, he'd likely be getting upwards of $7.5+ and FAR more term.

Apples and oranges.

A fairly stay at home d-man won't propel himself into the top 10 cap hit for defense. He's not making more money than Vlasic. Vlasic just re-signed at 7. 

Speaking of which, people want a contract similar to Vlasic?! Come on. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

A fairly stay at home d-man won't propel himself into the top 10 cap hit for defense. He's not making more money than Vlasic. Vlasic just re-signed at 7. 

Speaking of which, people want a contract similar to Vlasic?! Come on. 

Vlasic, for all his competent stay at home capabilities isn't, and will never be, 6'6" 230lbs. Parayko would get more than Vlasic because he's just as good of a defenseman who also brings massive size and the ability to use it.

• Upvote 1

Vlasic is 32, Parayko is 26. They're also different players.

Yes he would. I don't think you seem understand how contracts, age. rising cap etc all work together here...

Edited by aGENT