The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If Benning actually gets ANYTHING of value back for Eriksson, he's doing well. If he gets back something that actually helps us, he deserves a parade at that point in my opinion. lol

The value JB is getting back for Loui will be six million in cap space.  We are terminating that contract, or Loui is going to be riding buses in Utica.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That's what I'm saying, don't expect value back.

So why make a trade then, and accommodate Loui?  Put him on waivers, send him to the minors, and then (when Loui refuses to report) terminate his contract and save the full 6 million in cap.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So why make a trade then, and accommodate Loui?  Put him on waivers, send him to the minors, and then (when Loui refuses to report) terminate his contract and save the full 6 million in cap.  

Simple: save money. Move an unhappy player on. ;)

Also, a buyout would be expensive.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

$3-$4m in cap space and one less year are. As well as not giving up other assets is.

For all the despair over capspace, I have yet to hear a peep from the #assetmanagement critics on Dubas giving up a 1st round pick to move one year of Marleau. 

But dollars to donuts if Benning had done that for Eriksson?  EPIC MELTDOWN!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Sure this is preferable to Loui floating around aimlessly in my opinion, but I think the goal should be to just get rid of his toxic contract, not replace it with an equally as bad contract for a player that might bring slightly more to the table. 

Again, it's all relative to what's more likely to happen right? 

The teams have discussed at least internally about the swap. I doubt there are teams actively thinking "Hmmm... let's help Vancouver with their Eriksson nightmare and we'll probably get a 1st round pick out of them!"

So to dump Marleau, Toronto paid a 1st rounder.  PM is still a somewhat effective player. 

LE has a similar cap hit, a garbage attitude, and is pretty well useless (unless you count his little things). 

People thinking we return ANY value is crazy.   

We will be lucky if we only pay a 2nd to get rid of him.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For all the despair over capspace, I have yet to hear a peep from the #assetmanagement critics on Dubas giving up a 1st round pick to move one year of Marleau. 

But dollars to donuts if Benning had done that for Eriksson?  EPIC MELTDOWN!

If the Canucks were in the position that the Leafs are in currently, I don't think anyone would be freaking out about giving up a 1st. 

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

If the Canucks were in the position that the Leafs are in currently, I don't think anyone would be freaking out about giving up a 1st. 

I think we are looking better than the Leafs.  Yes the Leafs have some more experienced high end forwards, and Rielly on D, but after that their team is thin.  The Leafs will make the playoffs next season (baring injury to Rielly) but they don't have any prospects coming up who will fill much needed spots for cheap.  They are in a serious downward trend.  

If Marner signs with another team, then the Leafs will be is real trouble.  

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s zero benefit for the sens to flip smith for eriksson. 

And zero benifet for us too.  There is no other option than Loui getting put on waivers, and sent to Utica.  If he reports we save 1 million.  He won't report though, so we save all 6 million.  :towel:

Just now, Alflives said:

I think we are looking better than the Leafs.  Yes the Leafs have some more experienced high end forwards, and Rielly on D, but after that their team is thin.  The Leafs will make the playoffs next season (baring injury to Rielly) but they don't have any prospects coming up who will fill much needed spots for cheap.  They are in a serious downward trend.  

If Marner signs with another team, then the Leafs will be is real trouble.  

I just meant dead in the middle of their "window" to compete and in an absolutely atrocious cap position with significant players still required to sign. 

The Leafs are screwed and I love it, but they absolutely had to give up the pick to shed Marleau and I don't think that Nucks fans would be outraged if they were in a similar position and absolutely had to give up a 1st to shed Loui. Luckily, we're much better off than that. 

7 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

What position is that?  Up against the cap with 2 NHL defencemen for opening night and their top player unsigned?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

I just meant dead in the middle of their "window" to compete and in an absolutely atrocious cap position with significant players still required to sign. 

The Leafs are screwed and I love it, but they absolutely had to give up the pick to shed Marleau and I don't think that Nucks fans would be outraged if they were in a similar position and absolutely had to give up a 1st to shed Loui. Luckily, we're much better off than that. 

Whatever window you might think they have, you may feel differently come September, save for Dubas pulling some bigtime rabbits out of his hat.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s zero benefit for the sens to flip smith for eriksson. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Straight across. LE's actual salary after bonus is paid is only $1m this year, $4m next. Smith's is $3.25 this and next year. That's a savings of $1.5m actual dollars ($2.25 this year) for cheapo Melnyk and an almost $3m cap gain to help reach the floor. And by all acounts, he's trying to sell the franchise. If he manages it his year, he saves $2.25m. Next year $1.5m. As long as he sells it before the 3rd year, he's laughing. And Eriksson's a better player.

We could then waive Smith and turn Loui's 3 year, $6m cap hit ($5m if waived) to a 2 year $2.25 cap hit. Or just keep him on the 4th line.

15 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

So to dump Marleau, Toronto paid a 1st rounder.  PM is still a somewhat effective player. 

LE has a similar cap hit, a garbage attitude, and is pretty well useless (unless you count his little things). 

People thinking we return ANY value is crazy.   

We will be lucky if we only pay a 2nd to get rid of him.  

Marleau 82GP 16G 21A 37pts

Eriksson 81GP 11G 18A 29pts 

Loui is still very good on the PK and is very sound defensively, so to praise Marleau as “somewhat effective” and sandbagging Loui as useless makes zero sense when only 8pts separates them. Also the guy with 8 more points played on an offensively stacked team that finished 3rd in their division. Loui played on an injury plagued team in mostly a shutdown role.