The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

It wasn’t a bad signing at the time at all. It just didn’t work out for anyone.

I get why we did it, and had to do it to get him. Take a step back to see what I mean from the bigger picture. I'd rather not waste time debating the word "mistake".

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To Van:

Zaitsev (25% retained, years 3 through 5).

Zack Smith

Kapanen

To Ottawa

Erkisson (post bonus)

Goldobin

Tor 3rd 19

To Toronto

Tanev (50% retained).

Schaller

We are making a trade for Toronto’s 2019 3rd after Eriksson’s July 1st bonus is paid?  That seems amazing as a timeline!

I also don’t think you can retain salary only in a specific year.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is there a d-man out there with an equally bad contract that we could swap and maybe make better use of?  Would you do Eriksson for Alzner, we'd probably have to eat the difference in the cap hit.  Is a 6M Alzner better?

Alzner

Seabrook

Shattenkirk

Vlasic

Seabrook and Vlasic contracts way too long.

Edited by amplified0ne

3 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Is there a d-man out there with an equally bad contract that we could swap and maybe make better use of?  Would you do Eriksson for Alzner, we'd probably have to eat the difference in the cap hit.  Is a 6M Alzner better?

Alzner

Seabrook

Shattenkirk

Vlasic

Seabrook and Vlasic contracts way too long.

Would Dallas be an option for LE. His family has apparently moved back there.

Could we trade LE for Hanzal and Nichuskin and buy them out?

For those Lucic haters out there, their argument for being better off holding on to Eriksson doesn't even hold water!

Just looked up quick stats on both for last 3 seasons: 

Eriksson had 0.39 point ppg, avg-7 a season, missed tons of games 

Lucic had 0.43 ppg, avg -8, hardly missed games, younger and much tougher!

So ppl are bashing Lucic on his foot speed but not like Eriksson is any faster... we just need to negotiate better to get more out of Edmonton for the extra year of $6M.

Sure... a more ideal scenario would be getting Ottawa or Arizona to pick up Eriksson and a 3rd round pick while we retain 25-50% of the salary...  but how likely????  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Don’t think that extra 0.04 ppg with Lucic is worth an extra year of a bad contract. Just my two cents.

Fair point!! But we lack size and toughness still as Schaller failed to play that role! Also, Lucic is now wanting to play for us while Eriksson doesn't get along with Green anymore... 

That's why JB needs to squeeze more out of the Oilers for the extra $6M.

Let's say no other takers for Eriksson... you still want him to mope around either here or in Utica?? The owner isn't prepared to buy out his contract....

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Don’t think that extra 0.04 ppg with Lucic is worth an extra year of a bad contract. Just my two cents.

how about the extra 256 hits and the imminent threat of face punching if anyone deigns to so much as look at pettersson or hughes the wrong way?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

With Luongo recapture penalty, JB absolutely has to get rid of LE contract and other dead weights (Schaller, etc).

Yup totally.... time to get creative dealing Sutter and Tanev too. We need to somehow get more competitive while refreshing this roster!

3 minutes ago, tas said:

how about the extra 256 hits and the imminent threat of face punching if anyone deigns to so much as look at pettersson or hughes the wrong way?

Sure this is preferable to Loui floating around aimlessly in my opinion, but I think the goal should be to just get rid of his toxic contract, not replace it with an equally as bad contract for a player that might bring slightly more to the table. 

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Sure this is preferable to Loui floating around aimlessly in my opinion, but I think the goal should be to just get rid of his toxic contract, not replace it with an equally as bad contract for a player that might bring slightly more to the table. 

if the canucks have another palatable way to offload him without taking money back, my preference would be to still bring in lucic, but with sutter going the other way. the canucks should be able to pry something decent out of them in that trade. tyler benson+?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Lucic also got FAR more offensive opportunity a couple of those years and with McJesus for that added .04 PPG.

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

With Luongo recapture penalty, JB absolutely has to get rid of LE contract and other dead weights (Schaller, etc).

I wouldn't be so sure that's a done deal.

5 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Zack Smith works for both clubs.

3 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Last thing the Canucks need is another bottom 6 FWD. 

No, the last thing we need is a $6m, 3 more year bottom 6 forward with an attitude problem.

I'd sub in a character guy that's at $3.25m for 2 more years instead in a heart beat. Only a $2.25 hit if we waive him.

3 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Sure, but if you're trading Loui for that type of return (if it can be done) you may as well at least try to fill a need. You can get a 5th or 6th dman for that price. 

If Benning actually gets ANYTHING of value back for Eriksson, he's doing well. If he gets back something that actually helps us, he deserves a parade at that point in my opinion. lol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1