The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

My concern level is going up with this player. I know he is young and not every player breaks out right away and he could just be a late bloomer but if there saying that he isn’t working hard enough then that is a big red flag. This guy was a  top 10 pick and right now I’m not seeing him justified for that spot. We already blew two top ten picks in Olli and Jake so this kid needs to turn into a legit top 6 player. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Wat 6

2 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

My concern level is going up with this player. I know he is young and not every player breaks out right away and he could just be a late bloomer but if there saying that he isn’t working hard enough then that is a big red flag. This guy was a  top 10 pick and right now I’m not seeing him justified for that spot. We already blew two top ten picks in Olli and Jake so this kid needs to turn into a legit top 6 player. I hope I’m wrong. 

He is a young kid playing in a men's league, a league where older players usually get ice time. Good thing is if that is he they talk about him and view him it is highly likely the player will leave when his contract is up and come to north america. Pod can be sheltered for the rest of this year, getting lots of practice time and then easing him into the line up. 

Not every prospect can be a Hughes or Pistol Pete. I am not worried yet as the kid is young, let's see what kind of shape he shows up in and how motivated he is once he is here

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

When did they say he isn't working hard enough?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

He is a young kid playing in a men's league, a league where older players usually get ice time. Good thing is if that is he they talk about him and view him it is highly likely the player will leave when his contract is up and come to north america. Pod can be sheltered for the rest of this year, getting lots of practice time and then easing him into the line up. 

Not every prospect can be a Hughes or Pistol Pete. I am not worried yet as the kid is young, let's see what kind of shape he shows up in and how motivated he is once he is here

That’s a valid reply. I’m not totally writing him off but he needs to round out his game more. Even in the World Juniors last year I expected him to dominate a little more. Definitely he could still

become a great player. 

12 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

The GM of his Russian team said that in Dhaliwals extended twitter post. 

Doesn't sound like they are implying that he isn't working hard, but rather suggesting that he shouldn't be discouraged by being sent down and continue to work hard. Just sounds like he wants him to get more minutes there as he will be representing the National Junior team and he might not get the regular minutes as a 19 year old in the men's league.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Doesn't sound like they are implying that he isn't working hard, but rather suggesting that he shouldn't be discouraged by being sent down and continue to work hard. Just sounds like he wants him to get more minutes there as he will be representing the National Junior team and he might not get the regular minutes as a 19 year old in the men's league.

Quotes can get misunderstood. It can be read into different ways. Hopefully he becomes a meaningful player for us. 

• Wat 4

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

Quotes can get misunderstood. It can be read into different ways. Hopefully he becomes a meaningful player for us. 

So you're the guy that reads.....he is playing well, but not scoring and can see that is not what the coach said............

Because, you know........you can read between the lines! Good Job! :picard:

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The sooner Podz is done in Russia and in Vancouver the better

Really? You figure it would be better for his development to be sitting around in Vancouver doing nothing, wondering if and when the NHL is ever going to start up again, rather than playing in Russia?

13 hours ago, High and Inside said:

That’s a valid reply. I’m not totally writing him off but he needs to round out his game more. Even in the World Juniors last year I expected him to dominate a little more. Definitely he could still

become a great player. 

Hopefully, we need him and Hog to pan out cause after those 2 and maybe Lind we got no top 6 caliber prospect depth at the moment. Hopefully the Canucks can move some players at deadline to recover some draft picks and aim to be ultra competitive in 1-2 years time once all the horrible cap hits are off the books 

1 hour ago, warrchief said:

Pods getting the Jasek treatment because he is likely to sign an NHL contract. I expect him to dominate the World Juniors (if it happens) this year. I really hope he comes over because he would be an immediate impact player with his solid two way play.

Considering his team in the KHL has a successful pipeline of players that have hit the NHL I doubt he is being shafted because of him looking to come over. 

They have given him plenty of chances and he’s just in a bit of a slump. He makes his line better but he needs to shoot more. 

also even if they were shafting him (which they are not) it’s entirely their prerogative as they are paying his wages and they will have players they want to develop for the longer term that will stick around in the KHL. Just because the Canucks has the NHL right to him does not make it so every team has to do it the Canucks way (unless it’s the Canucks who are paying his wage and loaning him to a club with conditions) 

44 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Considering his team in the KHL has a successful pipeline of players that have hit the NHL I doubt he is being shafted because of him looking to come over. 

They have given him plenty of chances and he’s just in a bit of a slump. He makes his line better but he needs to shoot more. 

also even if they were shafting him (which they are not) it’s entirely their prerogative as they are paying his wages and they will have players they want to develop for the longer term that will stick around in the KHL. Just because the Canucks has the NHL right to him does not make it so every team has to do it the Canucks way (unless it’s the Canucks who are paying his wage and loaning him to a club with conditions) 

He has a 3.4% shooting percentage.  He either needs to work on his shot or get in a better scoring position before taking the shot.  

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I was a bit concerned when the GM said he needed to get in shape. B)

I think it may be more of playing under 5 minutes a game doesn’t really keep you in game shape.  

It is probably better that he is in a LW or league actually getting ice time.  It will also be really good for him to be on the national team soon.

Apparently Larionov (GM of national team) went to the club a couple of weeks ago to talk about Podkolzin.  I fully suspect that he said he wanted the kid ready to play significant minutes in the tourney (he is likely to be Captain of the team), and not playing more than a few shifts wouldn’t prep him for those demands very well.

This demotion seems to be letting him get his game legs for a couple of weeks instead of being thrown to the wolves.

It is well known that KHL teams are loathe to give ice time and development time to kids who aren’t going to be there long, and are headed to the NHL.  I don’t  particularly blame them, but on the other hand there should be easier “outs” for the player to come over if they aren’t being played on their club team.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2