The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 9/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the right skating coach could work wonders with Podkolzin. He’s effective, but very inefficient in his skating (as @deus.ex.makina noted earlier). With some technical work, Podkolzin could probably be a lot better. Which is saying something, because he already gets around quite well,  he just looks awkward at times doing it. He seems to be expending so much extra energy, but with his relentless motor and drive, it somehow works for him. Agree with @deus.ex.makina that it might not be sustainable for the long term, and hopefully that’s something the Canucks are watching and planning for. But with the right technical adjustments, Podkolzin could potentially clean up his mechanics, improve his efficiency, make immediate gains in his movement, and also take some long term wear and tear off his body, which could benefit his career longevity.

I think he could stand to work on his hands a little too tbh, but he's a bull I like his game.

14 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Tbh I'm just glad he's playing on one of the KHL's top teams and averaging around 12 minutes a game. I don't really give a rats ass about his point production. At all.

I think like Quinn, his skill sets will really be highlighted being put in a better roll with better players.  He'll really do well in Van.  Can't wait!

OCTOBER 09/2020 Translation is very good (LOL) in my opinion, enjoy .....

Vasily Podkolzin: "I never thought about where I would be now if I went to Canada"

SKA forward Vasily Podkolzin explained why he has not yet decided to go to North America. In the NHL, the rights to the forward belong to Vancouver.

"I never thought about where I would be now if I went to Canada," the KHL website quotes Podkolzin. "Even there were no such thoughts. I did not regret the decision for a second. In the CHL draft, I was chosen without my knowledge, I was not going to go there. Among my friends in the national team there are enough guys who went overseas, but this is their way. They should go through it. Guys like - let them play, study the culture of another country. But I feel at home in Russia. You know you're here yours. You can calmly talk with the coaching staff in your native language. Hockey is developing around, and you are with him.

My way out of my comfort zone is that I left home at the age of 13 for a boarding school. Then I moved from Podolsk to St. Petersburg. For me, moving to a big city is a major change. I made the decision to stay in Russia more intuitively. There can be no correct answer here. I came to St Petersburg - I looked at the city, conditions and I liked it. There was an option with Lokomotiv, since my children's coach was from Yaroslavl. But the choice fell on SKA. For two years, favorite places appeared in St. Petersburg, fell in love with this city. I wanted to buy an apartment here. Nevsky Prospect, Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaac's Cathedral... wherever you come - everywhere beautiful. "

https://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/khl/news/vasiliy-podkolzin-nikogda-ne-zadumyvalsya-o-tom-gde-by-ya-seychas-byl-esli-by-uehal-v-kanadu-1717796/

Ok, not a big deal yet, 19 year old explaining his decisions but I really DO NOT like ALL this talk about "I feel home in Russia and you can calmly talk with coach".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Vasily Podkolzin: "I never thought about where I would be now if I went to Canada"

SKA forward Vasily Podkolzin explained why he has not yet decided to go to North America. In the NHL, the rights to the forward belong to Vancouver.

"I never thought about where I would be now if I went to Canada," the KHL website quotes Podkolzin. "Even there were no such thoughts. I did not regret the decision for a second. In the CHL draft, I was chosen without my knowledge, I was not going to go there. Among my friends in the national team there are enough guys who went overseas, but this is their way. They should go through it. Guys like - let them play, study the culture of another country. But I feel at home in Russia. You know you're here yours. You can calmly talk with the coaching staff in your native language. Hockey is developing around, and you are with him.

My way out of my comfort zone is that I left home at the age of 13 for a boarding school. Then I moved from Podolsk to St. Petersburg. For me, moving to a big city is a major change. I made the decision to stay in Russia more intuitively. There can be no correct answer here. I came to St Petersburg - I looked at the city, conditions and I liked it. There was an option with Lokomotiv, since my children's coach was from Yaroslavl. But the choice fell on SKA. For two years, favorite places appeared in St. Petersburg, fell in love with this city. I wanted to buy an apartment here. Nevsky Prospect, Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaac's Cathedral... wherever you come - everywhere beautiful. "

https://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/khl/news/vasiliy-podkolzin-nikogda-ne-zadumyvalsya-o-tom-gde-by-ya-seychas-byl-esli-by-uehal-v-kanadu-1717796/

Ok, not a big deal yet, 19 year old explaining his decisions but I really DO NOT like ALL this talk about "I feel home in Russia and you can calmly talk with coach".  

What's not to like? He's a Russian, why wouldn't he feel at home? You don't think Petey loves Sweden, Brock loves the US, or Juolevi loves Finland? They were all still here in North America last season. He wants to play in the NHL, he'll come when it's time. It also makes sense that there'd be a sense of comfort discussing hockey with a coach and peers who speak your home language. You don't think that if him and Tryamkin come over next season they won't talk hockey in Russian? 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

I don't think this is anything to worry about. I think his answer has more to do with where he would be if he left for the CHL before his draft year.  When the article says "They should go through it" it translates more into "They could go through it" I think he's basically saying that for him he couldn't handle moving away from home and adapting to a new culture and language. That's really nothing to fault him on. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

What's not to like? He's a Russian, why wouldn't he feel at home? You don't think Petey loved Sweden, Brock loves the US, or Juolevi loves Finland? They were all still here in North America last season. Makes sense that there'd be a sense of comfort discussing hockey with a coach and peers who speak your home language. You don't think that if him and Tryamkin come over next season they won't talk hockey in Russian? 

I would like him to be hungry to play in NHL, I would like him to give an interview in English and not talking about comfort at home . He need to adapt to play here, it much easier to adapt from junior league. Again, not a big deal at this moment YET, I am not sure how Petey Brock or Juolevi think or what they LOVE. I found latest interview with TOP Canucks prospect, translated and share with everybody. 

8 minutes ago, Pavel the Bure said:

I would like him to be hungry to play in NHL, I would like him to give an interview in English and not talking about comfort at home . He need to adapt to play here, it much easier to adapt from junior league. Again, not a big deal at this moment YET, I am not sure how Petey Brock or Juolevi think or what they LOVE. I found latest interview with TOP Canucks prospect, translated and share with everybody. 

Where does it say he's not hungry? Until he actually says something along those lines you're just speculating. And why would he give an interview in English when he's in Russia, playing for a Russian club, and likely being asked questions in Russian? 

He's got a contract, we'll figure things out with him once it's honored as there's nothing we can do til then. 

And that's appreciated, I just don't see any cause for concern. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Where does it say he's not hungry? Until he actually says something along those lines you're just speculating. And why would he give an interview in English when he's in Russia, playing for a Russian club, and likely being asked questions in Russian? 

He's got a contract, we'll figure things out with him once it's honored as there's nothing we can do til then. 

And that's appreciated, I just don't see any cause for concern. 

His English is very limited, I am Russian, I heard him give an interview in English, I concern about his future adaptation.  I am glad you enjoyed his interview. 

• Cheers 2

He is making $4800.00 per year in the KHL...........................or should I say $400.00 per  month

I am not sure he understands a 2 way contract...................$925,000 on the big club per year or $92,500 per year in the AHL

$92,500 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$4800

$925,000>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$4800.00

Yes, I am sure, he has not a clue!

6 hours ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Green frantically clicking his way around Amazon and E-Bay to find a Rosetta Stone English-Russian set