The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

33 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I saw that very differently - he had just turned 18 in June  - very young, I saw Podkolzin playing chess while the rest of his team with one exception, were playing checkers. I saw Podkolzin creating a lot of play on which his teammates did not capitalize. He defended well, but his sense of the game really showed on the man advantage. I guess all of us owns his own perception and estimates. After the WJHC his KHL coach, not noted for using young players, dramatically increased his icetime - it would seem that he saw something too.

I'm not saying I was disappointed in any way.  I thought he had an outstanding tournament and was the best Russian fwd through it all.  But he's raw and it'll take some time to polish his game.  

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying I was disappointed in any way.  I thought he had an outstanding tournament and was the best Russian fwd through it all.  But he's raw and it'll take some time to polish his game.  

I’d agree that he can add a lot to his game. The question is, how much does he need to add to be a very useful player (by which I mean capable of deserving to take someone’s job)? If his growth continues, he will be more than ready in another year.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’d agree that he can add a lot to his game. The question is, how much does he need to add to be a very useful player (by which I mean capable of deserving to take someone’s job)? If his growth continues, he will be more than ready in another year.

Possibly another year, I agree.  Of course covid is going to factor into that.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 12:34 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pure ceiling: all that and more.

He has the potential to be a first line/star talent that pushes his individual scoring rate up to around a point per game, while making strong contributions all over the ice (defense/checking, retrieval, possession, playdriving, physicality, energy, leadership, special teams, etc).

Podkolzin has a wealth of raw talent, plays a relentless, high energy, two-way game, drives play at both ends of the ice, creates a tonne of chances, extends possession, and has an impressive arsenal of overall offensive skills. He has the potential to be a Mark Stone level player (or a Mark Messier type, if you wanna quote Igor Larionov). I could see him becoming the type of player that regularly posts elite level GAR/WAR (and similar overall stats measures for on-ice effects).

In terms of pure potential, his ceiling is very high.

But like all prospects, the odds are he doesn’t hit his ceiling.

Most likely range: middle-six winger who can play either side, all situations, 40-60 points per season, along with a very nice fancy stats profile.

Best C match, Petey/Bo/Gauds: TBD.

I can see Podz clicking with AG. 

When watching Podkolzin in the past he was somewhat choppy in his skating and movements. Often, when a teenager grows into a bigger man's body ahead of schedule and ahead of his peers he doesn't yet have his best coordination. That usually takes more time to catch-up. When it does catch-up the synergy gives you  a significant improvement in efficiency. Let's hope that will be the case with this guy.

55 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Thanks for sharing that carefully reasoned analysis with us. It all becomes clear now.

Take a look at the lists of people who have scored 100+ points at in the last couple years.  
It is a very impressive list of extremely high end players.  

VP is going to be great, but he isn’t a big point getter.  Never has been and probably never will.   
The kids game isn’t about putting up huge offensive numbers.  
It is about forechecking, hustle, aggression, etc....   

He isn’t a great shooter, his hockey IQ has been questioned, and he isn’t all that fast.  

Like I said, he will be a great player, but this 100 point thing is dumb and unfair to the kid.  

• Thanks 1

I think Podkolzin  19, 6'1, 200lbs, will be a solid NHL player playing 1st or 2nd line, PP solid on forecheck, aggressive style, will drop his gloves -

GP 75 -- G 24- 27  --  -- 65-70 PTS -- Will be a complete player and will look great playing with Petey or Bo.

Very exciting future another top end player for Vancouver.

Experts will say he was a great pick at #10 spot..He should of been a top 3 pick but being Russian and signing 2 year KHL deal some teams get scared..

Glad we drafted at # 10 spot..

Edited by wildcam

44 minutes ago, wildcam said:

He should of been a top 3 pick but being Russian and signing 2 year KHL deal some teams get scared..

They're all chicken, but not Benning. They will regret their poor decisions when Podz visits their arenas in a few years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Take a look at the lists of people who have scored 100+ points at in the last couple years.  

VP is going to be great, but he isn’t a big point getter.  Never has been and probably never will.   

He isn’t a great shooter, his hockey IQ has been questioned, and he isn’t all that fast.  

Like I said, he will be a great player, but this 100 point thing is dumb and unfair to the kid.  

I agree with mostly what you're saying, but who's questioning his hockey IQ? The guy plays a smart and willing defensive game at the ripe age of 18. He was making passes in WJ that players couldn't convert because he was making those plays that the shooters probably didn't think he could/would make. If people are questioning his hockey IQ, then it is an underrated part of his game that they will be surprised with.

So with that said, I see him being a JT Miller type player that is likely to be a 60 point player, but has the opportunity to break out being a PPG guy like he has this season. However, I would like to see him improve on his shot to get his goal totals up, but he does have decent hands, so he could be a decent at collecting garbage goals.

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Never heard anyone question his IQ. Mind telling me who said this? Not saying you’re lying or anything just curious.

I agree it’s too early to anoint anyone as a 100 point player. Just let the kid play and develop. Putting lofty standards on prospects is why we still have people b*tch about Virtanen. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I agree with mostly what you're saying, but who's questioning his hockey IQ? The guy plays a smart and willing defensive game at the ripe age of 18. He was making passes in WJ that players couldn't convert because he was making those plays that the shooters probably didn't think he could/would make. If people are questioning his hockey IQ, then it is an underrated part of his game that they will be surprised with.

So with that said, I see him being a JT Miller type player that is likely to be a 60 point player, but has the opportunity to break out being a PPG guy like he has this season. However, I would like to see him improve on his shot to get his goal totals up, but he does have decent hands, so he could be a decent at collecting garbage goals.

42 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Never heard anyone question his IQ. Mind telling me who said this? Not saying you’re lying or anything just curious.

I agree it’s too early to anoint anyone as a 100 point player. Just let the kid play and develop. Putting lofty standards on prospects is why we still have people b*tch about Virtanen. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/vasili-podkolzin-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

This isn’t the one I read before, but after a quick search, it still says the same thing.  

Near the bottom it has STRENGTHS

and UNDER CONSTRUCTION.  

The improvements needed were decision making and hockey smarts.  

It was talked about when he was drafted too I believe.   I know they talked about it a lot on sportsnet after we drafted him.