The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Did Canucks lose out on their guy?

Rate this topic

Doogie

I personally believe the following, and I was getting these vibes from the media circles after the draft.

Canucks wanted Zegras, Detroit had their sites on Seider (obviously). I think the asking price for the canucks to move up was too high.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, nergish said:

After the playoffs we just watched, we managed to come away with a Tarasenko jr. with a lot more heart and little less snipe.

He is an odd one to prognosticate because he's not really 'boom or bust', in that his dogged pursuit of the puck will bode well no matter what... but we don't know how high he can actually go. I mean, this was Russia's number one offering this year, and the one WJC game I attended this year he looked exactly that.

But where are the points this year? Hard to imagine him not putting up numbers next to our young players.

Regardless of how one states "dogged pursuit of the puck" is that you have the mentality of that's mine and i'm going to get it! That's an OV trait but realistically there's a ceiling for players and his is a bit unknown as for how high but he has the tools and no one can argue that so no i hardly think JB settled at all... we'd all probably like to see him in utica than anywhere else for 2 years for a closer look but i guess JB figured it was worth the gamble at a top 6 potential with a top line ceiling if he goes coastal and rocks it out of the park but easily a 2nd line potential... nothing wrong with that, not a bad play at tenth. I would have traded my 2nd to move up and for sure grab zegras but it's a deep draft and who knows who our 2nd could turn out to be... meh... 

Anyway If we get a cap friendly top six player in 2 years then i'm happy with that but tarasenko with less snipe can change with simple practice (with petey hopefully!)

Edited by iceman64

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mean, if we're talking about the whole draft, they obviously did, as their guy would have been Jack Hughes.

But Benning seemed pretty happy with Pod.

He knew it was a solid pick... and it is.

I doubt they got this far in the NHL game by only having one guy on their list. Lol. If I had to guess they wanted to trade up for Zegras. I really think they caught wind of what Detroit wanted and what Edmonton wanted and knew they were getting one of Zegras or Podkolzin at 10 and decided against trading up. I highly doubt they are upset with how it turned out. Podkolzin screams Benning guy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I personally believe the following, and I was getting these vibes from the media circles after the draft.

Canucks wanted Zegras, Detroit had their sites on Seider (obviously). I think the asking price for the canucks to move up was too high.

Price was a 2nd rd pick apparently. Imo, that is a very reasonable price. 

15 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I could see a scenario where the canucks wanted to move the 2nd next year opposed to this year due to the draft being here.

52 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Naw. Unlike 99.9% of CDC, who are Benning apologists btw, that likes to keep telling me 2nd round picks amount to nothing. I don’t buy that for a second. I think we are getting someone better than Jet Woo this year for sure. And with Kaliev and Lavoie still available, I hope we snag one of them. 

Pod and one of them will beat Zegras for sure imo. We shall see but I have always been in the do not piss away picks for no reason camp. I would give up an uneeded roster player to move up in a heart beat though, we have plenty of those.

The funny thing is, I could have sworn there were tons of podz haters that couldn’t stand him until Benning picked him. Lol  That goes back to the 99.9% who would defend any poor move Bennng does. 

I am okay with this pick though. Worth the gamble. I don’t think pissing away 2nd round picks are worth the gamble though and I probably never will.

Wouldn’t give one away for Vey. Wouldn’t give one away for injury prone placeholder garbage like Baerschit and wouldn’t give one away to move up 4 spots when Byram was already gone.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

There's a chance of that, personally was hoping for Zegras there like a lot of people, but if Pod pans out, it would fantastic, probably even better than those other options if he brings that element of making us tougher to play against. I do hope in a couple years he's able to speak some English.

27 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

For other organizations yes. But for us, an organization that up until 2014 had only Bo Horvat and Ben Hutton to show for, is too rich. Not to mention the second round picks traded away in 2014, 2015 and 2016. 

Other than Joulevi, there's a lot of question marks surrounding the next crop of Canucks prospects. Lots of raw talent that's anywhere from 2-4 years away from getting a shot at the NHL. 

Canucks need to stock up. If Podkolzin was Swedish we'd all be stoked and would have forgotten all about Zegras. 

• Upvote 2

Some interesting stuff in this article. Podkolzin was apparently ranked around 8-9 by our scouts.

According to the Canucks’ Russian scout, Sergei Chibisov, Podkolzin was ranked “eight or nine” on the Canucks’ list. That means one or two players picked in the top ten were below Podkolzin on the Canucks’ rankings.

18 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Naw. Unlike 99.9% of CDC, who are Benning apologists btw, that likes to keep telling me 2nd round picks amount to nothing. I don’t buy that for a second. I think we are getting someone better than Jet Woo this year for sure. And with Kaliev and Lavoie still available I hope we snag one of them. 

Pod and one one of them will beat Zegras for sure imo. We shall see but I have a,ways been in the do not piss away picks for no reason camp. I would give up an unseeded roster player to move up in a heart beat though, we have plenty of those.

The funny thing is I could have sworn there were tons of podz haters that couldn’t stand him until Benning picked him. Lol  That goes back to the 99.9% who would defend any poor move Bennng does. 

I am okay with this pick though. Worth the gamble. I don’t think pissing away 2nd round picks are worth the gamble though and I probably never will.

Wouldn’t give one away for Vey. Wouldn’t give one away for injury prone placeholder garbage like Baerschit and wouldn’t give one away to move up 4 spots when Byram was already gone.

Damn, does it hurt being this #woke?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Because you get the guy you want for certain. We settled for Pod, not saying hes a bad player or anything but I think it was pretty clear Benning LOVED zegras. 

Maybe he did but I think it may end up better with Podkolzin. Pod brings an element that is missing amongst the forward group that we have. I'm not sure if Zegras does.

I'm pretty happy that we got to draft Pod as I was expecting him to go well before.

Ok so JB has selected Podkolzin ....but when???? is this going to play for the Nucks?? still under contract for 2 yrs????? WTF.....the Nucks need help NOW....is JB going to buy out his remaining term with Russian club? or what? why select someone who can'f fracking play for you for two whole seasons???? Someone please enlighten me ffs

• Wat 4

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

In two years, when we all watch Podkolzin play, everyone will realize this was the best pick after Hughes.  Big, fast, skilled, mean, and hyper compete guys are a must to win Cups.  I love that Podkolzin is mean.  This kid is going to be no fun for the other teams to play against.  

I completely agree. Zegres would have been great but he's soft. If he aint scoring he aint worth having. In the playoffs you need size, speed and skill. Pod is that. We need guys that will do whatever it takes to win. This is Pod.

55 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Ok so JB has selected Podkolzin ....but when???? is this going to play for the Nucks?? still under contract for 2 yrs????? WTF.....the Nucks need help NOW....is JB going to buy out his remaining term with Russian club? or what? why select someone who can'f fracking play for you for two whole seasons???? Someone please enlighten me ffs

None of the remaining prospects left were NHL NOW anyways. Anyone we picked would've been 1-2 years away from joining the Canucks and the KHL is probably the toughest league to play in outside of the NHL so it's not like he's wasting time there; he'll be developing at a faster pace playing against men and more NHL ready than most of the other prospects when he steps in.

3 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

Any GM worth his salt picks thinking about ceiling rather than a player’s ability to play in the NHL now.