The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Reason for lack of trades: salary cap may fall short of already low projections

Only thing that makes sense for the lack of movement on draft day. For people like me that attended, it was a literal “draft” and nothing else...now we know why.

With the projection a few days ago being $81.5m or $82m, it could drop below that to $80m! That’d be a minuscule raise from the $79.5m salary cap this past season.

At first I didn’t get when I heard cap reasons might have been the reason why the Barrie deal specifically wasn’t done considering both teams have so much cap. Maybe it meant the Avs were going to take on a contract from us? Either way, clearly every dollar matters more than ever with the premium teams have to pay their RFAs. So not knowing if a mill or 2 will benefit them or not is pretty huge in the grand scheme of things and something that should never occur again. To think heading into the draft there’s nothing set in stone for the cap is pretty ludicrous and rather inexcusable. I can honestly say it sort of ruined the draft experience for a lot of fans; all that buzz leading in for nothing. This sort of predicament in this day in age should never happen again.

Edited by Generational.EP40
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Hockey guys and sound business practices don’t always go hand in hand.

Yea it’s shocking.

$82m to potentially $80m? That’s the difference for some teams having to shed 1 contract to 2 and for some teams wanting to acquire/sign 2 players to 1.

Huge implications.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Good, I'm scared of any potential Barrie especially with our 1st next year in play.

Heck talk of Bo being involved however unlikely is giving me stress.

Bo talk nonsense so need to sweat it lol.

As for 1st next year, tbh I’m for it as long as we don’t pull a Ottawa and actually lottery protect the pick.

...Barrie along with the right FA signings would honestly make us a playoff team. If you can remember, we already were this past season up until December where injuries decimated and cost us. So fair to think one of the best offensive blue line producers would make us that much better, along with FA reinforcements + our young players only getting better.

37 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Only thing that makes sense for the lack of movement on draft day. For people like me that attended, it was a literal “draft” and nothing else...now we know why.

With the projection a few days ago being $81.5m or $82m, it could drop below that to $80m! That’d be a minuscule raise from the $79.5m salary cap this past season.

At first I didn’t get when I heard cap reasons might have been the reason why the Barrie deal specifically wasn’t done considering both teams have so much cap. Maybe it meant the Avs were going to take on a contract from us? Either way, clearly every dollar matters more than ever with the premium teams have to pay their RFAs. So not knowing if a mill or 2 will benefit them or not is pretty huge in the grand scheme of things and something that should never occur again. To think heading into the draft there’s nothing set in stone for the cap is pretty ludicrous and rather inexcusable. I can honestly say it sort of ruined the draft experience for a lot of fans; all that buzz leading in for nothing. This sort of predicament in this day in age should never happen again.

wow Alot of teams are going to get hooped! LOL. This is the problem when you sign guys assuming the cap will just keep going up. Part of me wonders if this is owners playing with the numbers to try and slow down this ridiculous salary inflation for RFAs.

Sorry Dumbass -oops Dubas, lol "we won't have cap issues" - oh yes you do, oh yes you do!

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Haha 1

This report should be getting more attn on our boards. Could open up some sweet opportunities from squads that have to dump cap.

- If Loui is quitting(moving back to Dall) even sweeter!

- Our cap scenario might be best, league-wide(about 25-30 mill), but already 21 bodies signed.

- This is where some weaker teams can turn the tables quickly

Sure hope ownership gives the green light for JB to aggressively weaponize $ space

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Bo talk nonsense so need to sweat it lol.

As for 1st next year, tbh I’m for it as long as we don’t pull a Ottawa and actually lottery protect the pick.

...Barrie along with the right FA signings would honestly make us a playoff team. If you can remember, we already were this past season up until December where injuries decimated and cost us. So fair to think one of the best offensive blue line producers would make us that much better, along with FA reinforcements + our young players only getting better.

Im going to get alot of hate for this. But im anti-playoffs this coming season. The draft is just way too fking sexy. i rather wait and  hopefully sign barrie as FA next summer for free. Besides, we dont know how bad injuries will be next year. 

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Im going to get alot of hate for this. But im anti-playoffs this coming season. The draft is just way too fking sexy. i rather wait and  hopefully sign barrie as FA next summer for free. Besides, we dont know how bad injuries will be next year. 

Just a shame we should be too good to get a high pick, hence we’ll make the playoffs. It’s a deep enough draft where it shouldn’t matter where we pick. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I don't want to play the tank game but I also don't want to waste assets on a player we can sign as a ufa a year later. That's just bad business.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just a shame we should be too good to get a high pick, hence we’ll make the playoffs. It’s a deep enough draft where it shouldn’t matter where we pick. 

I think we'll only make playoffs if we have a miracle season and have minimal injuries. Chances are minimal. I won't say impossible. 

Holtz, Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, etc. Im drooling. 

Edited by DontMessMe

22 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I think we'll only make playoffs if we have a miracle season and have minimal injuries. Chances are minimal. I won't say impossible. 

Holtz, Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, etc. Im drooling. 

It really depends on how JB addresses our defense. Our injuries to Edler and Tanev are a result of 2 things. One being overplayed and two not being a very good puck possession team (and thus them both blocking alot of shots and having to play very physical as they puck was in our end more often than not).

If JB can address this by adding some depth, that can allow them to play a bit less, some of the other guys take the next step (Hutton takes a leap, Stecher continues on the trajectory he's on, Juolevi shows he can play, Hughes does Hughes), well that will go a long way to staying healthy.

If our back end can stay at least reasonably healthy (all teams have injuries but the last 2-3 years for us have been absurd), then we could very well be in the hunt. Bo, Petey, Boeser will all improve that's a given, if Baer stays healthy, Jake takes a step, Pearson has a similar pace, Leivo settles in, we have a solid team.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Agree, why overpay Colorado; if you wait a year just overpay Barrie. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski