The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Aquilini should’ve let Gillis see through his plan/rebuild. We would have had Larkin instead of Virtanen. Brackett would still have had his guys he favoured (Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Madden), and Gradin the same with EP.

Firing Gillis has literally cost us 10 years and soon to be 15-20.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, combover said:

When were struggling in two years it’ll be because player like Miller didn’t work out (softer eriksdone.....long list here) nobody’s paying a first for a 28 year old third liner. 

And we get to watch TB stand up and pick a player in the top ten. While still being a cup contending team. 

Stupid move by a bad gm. 

Yes I'm sure it will be all because of Miller...:picard:

You do know that players can put up big points on teams that don't make the playoffs right?

Funny hearing people that live their lives in doom and gloom though. Relax, it's just a sport. Sometimes you take gambles, we'll see if this pays off.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tampa is in a cap crunch. You supposed to use that to your advantage. They needed to dump Miller's salary.

The 2nd worst team in the NHL the last 4 years combined and we are trading a 1st round pick??? Horrible.

The worst team in the NHL the last 50 years combined trading a 1st round pick??? Horrible.

Am I doing this right?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This Jim Benning era has been so exhausting. They've drafted so well, then completely drop the ball everywhere else.

No going back now, expectation for next season is to make the playoffs. 

No, fans like you panicking a week before free agency is exhausting. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

but can you imagine him playing with bo and pearson

that line size will bother other teams

that line will be hated

Yes, I absolutely can - in due course - once guys like Podkolzin arrive.

I think you are correct - that would be one hell of a heavy, quick and difficult line to deal with.  An outstanding second line.

In the meantime, he's an ideal (in my opinion) fit to complement EP (and Boeser).

This versatility - and his ability to move up and down the lineup - makes him as perfect an addition  as you're likely to find imo.

I cannot argue with this move at all - it's is exactly the type of player I've been arguing to add this summer.

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Haha you just said...

"This deals screams to me that it's Playoffs or the boot for Benning next year, which doesn't make much sense given the Podkolzin pick and his timeline"

Did your account get hacked?

Yeah that's why I'm confused. I'm getting conflicting messages here. Podkolzin pick sounds like long term thinking, Miller deal sounds like short term thinking. 

We should not be thinking short term yet. We still have work to do long term. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

Aquilini should’ve let Gillis see through his plan/rebuild. We would have had Larkin instead of Virtanen. Brackett would still have had his guys he favoured (Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Madden), and Gradin the same with EP.

This is an overreaction, firing Gillis was still the right decision this organization made. Gillis would have sent this team back 30 years

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

And would have won a Stanley cup if it wasn’t for Rome

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I really like this move simply based on the player JT Miller is. He is a versatile forward who will deepen our forward group. He can get in on the forecheck, retrieve pucks, kill penalties, score, take faceoffs. Perhaps this move is a precursor for someone else from our roster being moved? In any case, I think it makes us better on paper for next season and will help round out our forward group nicely.

I can't wait for Miller to have a fantastic year in a Canucks uni and hope this market embraces him!

I also do not think we will make the playoffs next season based on how strong the west is, so I doubt that conditional 1st will even come into play and perhaps Benning was hedging his bets in this regard when finalizing the deal.

Thags not the condition on the first. If we don't make the playoffs next year then we give TB the first the year after. TB is getting a first from us for sure, the condition is just if its this year or next. 

16 minutes ago, Tystick said:

We're likely moving Sutter and Eriksson.

There's room IMO.

Nobody want them. 

Knowing Benning likely to pay to get rid of them. 

Bradon softer the foundational wonder that throws his team mates under the bus making 4.25 as a average 3rd liner.

eriksdone is a disaster and also a 3rd liner. 

Im sure teams 

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I really like this move simply based on the player JT Miller is. He is a versatile forward who will deepen our forward group. He can get in on the forecheck, retrieve pucks, kill penalties, score, take faceoffs. Perhaps this move is a precursor for someone else from our roster being moved? In any case, I think it makes us better on paper for next season and will help round out our forward group nicely.

I can't wait for Miller to have a fantastic year in a Canucks uni and hope this market embraces him!

I also do not think we will make the playoffs next season based on how strong the west is, so I doubt that conditional 1st will even come into play and perhaps Benning was hedging his bets in this regard when finalizing the deal.

D013832F-A017-4558-BB5F-35FB68F515DF.gif

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tricky one. I'm not happy about the trade because we could have found 15-20 goals and 40-50 points easily in the free agency market.

Um, what?

That is hopelessly oversimplified.

Please identify these easy UFA targets.

• Cheers 1

Well let's look at JT Miller.  He's had 22, 22, and 23 goals the last four years before his 13 goal season last year. I think that he'll be improving a bit more since he's 26.  

At 5.25 million/year, he's on a fair deal.  In fact, if you look at how much guys like Hayes (7 million) and Brock Nelson (6 million for 6 years) have gotten, you could argue that JT Miller is on a good deal.  

He's not your Marleau or PK Subban type bad deal.  So this was a hockey trade.  

We will most likely be giving up a 20th overall pick here.  3rd pick is negligible and Mezanek going back to them is a bit of a plus on our side as we shed a contract.  

I don't feel strongly either way with this trade.  Could be a bust of a draft next year and we could be looking at a middling prospect being drafted by Vegas that never amounts to anything. Not thrilled about a 1st though. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yes, I absolutely can - in due course - once guys like Podkolzin arrive.

I think you are correct - that would be one hell of a heavy, quick and difficult line to deal with.  An outstanding second line.

In the meantime, he's an ideal (in my opinion) fit to complement EP (and Boeser).

This versatility - and his ability to move up and down the lineup - makes him as perfect an addition  as you're likely to find imo.

I cannot argue with this move at all - it's is exactly the type of player I've been arguing to add this summer.

i agree as well

really wanted stone

but that was a dream

jt can do a lot of what i wanted stone to do for the canucks

he is versatile and has cost certainty

and can start tomorrow

addresses a big need on the nucks