The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I will enjoy looking back on this thread in 18 months time.

So many people will be walking back their comments for good or ill

I’d like to see us look back in 2 years from now when Tampa is picking our lottery pick, we are not at the time in our franchise where playoffs aren’t a guarantee.  If we were lets say the Penguins, the trade isn’t as bad.  Playoffs are a coin flip and a 1st rounder for this team for a non superstar isn’t worth it.

I’d only trade a 1st in a trade where a top player is coming back in a bigger deal.  JT Miller doesn’t qualify

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not a very efective approach to life if you believe that others have control over your emotional reactions.

Well I pay for season tickets and very much am a literal part of the team. 

Sorry if I’m not just a keyboard warrior as others here are. I have a few thousand reasons for my say...

Edited by Generational.EP40
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Giving up the first hurts for a team in the Canucks position BUT if it turns out to be a later first, JT Miller is a certainty (opposed to a late first who won’t play for years, if at all) and under a great contract. Think he’s a good fit for our top 6. If he slides down to third line once Pod and Panarin arrive (fingers crossed), that is great depth. 

Now we we need some help on D.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Every player available at 10 would have been a 2 year wait. It's not long term thinking it's just thinking.

Every player? Every single one? None of the college guys will sign at the of this year or next year to potentially burn a year off their ELC and play in the NHL? Nobody else could make the jump after 1 year? 

Nobody knows anything for sure, but there were some guys who were more likely to make the jump sooner than 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Does it really need to be explained why us trading away a first round pick is a bad idea?

Benning supporters defend him no matter what. He could trade Boeser for Jason Zucker & they'd find a way to spin it. 

Its almost as exhausting as giving up 1st for Miller, 2nd+prospects for Gudbranson, 3rd for Pedan, 2nd for Vey, exc. exc. exc.

Ugh :bored:

Get real, Boeser for Zucker would be moronic, which is why that trade has not and will not happen. Quit crying. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 2

Giving up the conditional first in 2020 will hopefully mean we've made the playoffs and are seeded somewhere between the middle of the pack to the lower end of the seeding.

Meanwhile trades can be made to recover the first rounder as well, we have some parts to move still. Here's hoping!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stelar said:

I love how worrying about giving up a first round pick here is being called whining and being a crybaby.  It's a valid complaint and opinion. 

If Kevin Hayes got a first, I am not worried at all with this trade

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gttxc said:

Seems fair... not a decisive win the the canucks but trades rarely are.  For obvious reason.  People are over valuing 1st round picks.  I would take JT Miller over virtanen or Juolevi.  And I doubt our 1st ends up that high

We're scared because of what happened to the Sen's conditional 1st rounded that ended up a 4th overall pick. The Canucks aren't exactly a playoff team yet so this trade can come back to bite us in the ass real hard if we miss the playoffs for the next 2 years, which is very realistic.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Having Miller, Podkolzin, and Virtanen on the wings makes the Canucks much heavier and tougher to play against.  I like this trade.  Wasn't a bargain, but it's a fair trade in terms of value.

It's only a good deal if it's a "steal" though, didn't you know that?

Giving up fair value for a player means Benning is a bum and deserves to be fired.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

Just now, Stelar said:

I love how worrying about giving up a first round pick here is being called whining and being a crybaby.  It's a valid complaint and opinion. 

I think everyone shares the concern over the risk involved with moving the pick; but spazzing like we just handed them a guaranteed top 3 pick is overreaction .

• Upvote 2

I like the player. But the price is steep

We aren't far along in rebuild to be giving away 1st rounders yet.

I like the way Sakic is doing things. Loaded with great young players still adding 2 great 1st rounders this year. 

I'm not thrilled about the cost. 

Could have used that 1st as part of package for RHD instead.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Yeah the thing is, Miller is 26 and worth the money.  It wasn't a cap dump deal.

It's not about what he is worth. Its about the cap room to resign the other ufa's and what they are worth. 

The Marleau plus first deal isn't really a cap dump either. His contract isn't really bad given its a year left. It's about not losing Marner to an offer sheet. TB has to move pieces out if they want to keep all their top 6 pieces. The value here for TB is already there with what they are going to be able to keep by moving him. 

It's still not that its not fair value for the player. But we certainly paid more than we should have given the circumstances. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Its because people care. People have wanted a proper rebuild since 2013. And this organization always cuts corners.

Just feels hopeless that we'll get back to top contender status.

I mean, I get that people care. But at the end of the day, it's just sports. Trades you don't like happen, and they're always going to happen regardless of the management group and players involved. It's part of being a fan of a team, what's the point in letting it ruin your day and going into a blind rage? There isn't one. It's a lot more fun to discuss the trade for it's positives and negatives rather than overwhelming upset s---posting.

That's not really directed at you either, because I know you know how to talk hockey. It's just part of CDC that I don't like.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

You seem to be under the impression that if we always kept our full stock of picks we'd somehow be better.

In reality moat teams build contenders through many different avenues including trading first round picks. You're unlikely to get anywhere simply sitting on picks and never making trades to improve your team.

I don’t think anyone is saying you can never give up first round picks but if you do it better be for a foundational piece that is also a position that is a must for playoff success and is hard to get any other way... i.e. top pairing Dman

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Get real, Boeser for Zucker would be moronic, which is why that trade has not and will mot happen. Quit crying. 

So Boeser for Zucker is moronic.

But giving up a potential lottery pick that can be a better player than Boeser for Miller is not.

Nice to know we’re dealing with rational fans here :) 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2