The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Fair trade. Miller isn’t like most cap dumps with a really reasonable cap for his skill set. 

If if we didn’t pay up someone else would have He’d get probably 7 million on the open market. So his cap hit is really reasonable. 

Top 6 winger or centre who can put up 50+ points playing a complete game. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Every player? Every single one? None of the college guys will sign at the of this year or next year to potentially burn a year off their ELC and play in the NHL? Nobody else could make the jump after 1 year? 

Nobody knows anything for sure, but there were some guys who were more likely to make the jump sooner than 2 years.

I'm still waiting for you to answer that question.

3 minutes ago, Specz said:

What will we be paying them? How close will we be to the cap once their salaries are accounted for? Demko? How much cap do we have left to pay Podkolzin? Hoglander? Moves will have to be made man. I'm trying to think this through, don't think I'm overreacting.

there is so much wrong in here its hard....

firstly:

Podkolzin in the KHL for 2 years, when he signs he'll sign a 2-3 year ELC (depending on age I believe) so thats 4-5 years until you have to sign him to his first NHL contract.

Hoglander likely a year in the SHL prior to moving to the AHL so roughly 4 years for him.

secondly:

cap goes up in 3 years. Honestly the cost of a 5.5m contract is likely to be good third line player at that point. Things change and contracts also run out by the end of that time frame so it's silly to think that this 5.5m hampers any contract re-signings..

thirdly:

And you are assuming that they are going to be superstars like Pettersson / Boeser / Marner / Matthews ? nah it's great to have cap flexibility but you can't hold 10's of million of cap space just to have in the bank for 4 years from now... 

and the final nail in the coffin...

In 4 years that 5.5m goes off the cap space anyways lol so really this contract has nothing to do with resigning the picks these years and really 5.5m is not onerous.

:emot-parrot: 

on my own thoughts on this trade: 

I like the addition but obviously not liking the cost of the first for a forward.. would rather use that for Barrie. Hopefully we can find something on Colin Miller in VGK. if we find good value in grabbing him and perhaps get a good trade assets for Tanev then I can accept this trade more joyously

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

So Boeser for Zucker is moronic.

But giving up a potential lottery pick that can be a better player than Boeser for Miller is not.

Nice to know we’re dealing with rational fans here :) 

Tangible assets are always going to hold more value than draft picks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Capture.PNG.8e6e8afa38a2dbf7dd3ab019b3a09886.PNG

Not sure what to think about this trade...as a 24 year old playing on a 100+ pts NYR team and getting 56 pts ... traded to TB, another good team, and getting 58 pts as 25 year old...

Have a feeling he will play a bigger role with the Canucks playing left wing with EP40 and BB6...at 218 Ibs, there is your corner man...if he keeps getting better, this will be a good top line...if he regresses, then that will suck.

Depends on how he does...a conditional first in 2021 may be not a bad thing if the young guys coming up like OJ, Hughes, Tryamkin, Woo, Boeser, EP40, Bo, Gaudette, JV, Stecher, Pearson, Leivo and Miller all take it to another level...the quality of defence in 2021 will be a big factor to see where the Canucks end up in the standings. 

Not making the playoffs next year is not a bad thing if they win the lottery and get a player like Lafreniere or Raymond.

JB needs to improve the defence in 2021 and the 1st round pick may be a late rounder.

Bottom line, he is accelerating the rebuild process before the players are ready to compete. is my feeling. They (the core of this team) are still too young at this time to compete and to be giving away 1st round picks

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

So Boeser for Zucker is moronic.

But giving up a potential lottery pick that can be a better player than Boeser for Miller is not.

Nice to know we’re dealing with rational fans here :) 

So a player who has yet to be picked is better than Boeser? Yeah, you're the irrational one bud. 

I'm ok with this. It's a stable, reliable move. We get a versatile, all-around Top 6 guy who can grind, produce, and isn't afraid to lay the body. He's also been used on the first line PP and PK.

I think people will like Miller and how he fits into the team once the season starts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

I'm still waiting for you to answer that question.

Playing next year or as soon as possible should not be in consideration when making a pick. If it is then Juolevi is a bust. Management said they wouldn't let that affect their decision and they didn't. It doesn't mean anything. 

Just now, goblix said:

I like the addition but obviously not liking the cost of the first for a forward

This is it right here & whoever disagrees with this is wrong regardless of what they say. This is the reality of the trade.

So let’s hope we don’t get &^@#ed in the ass and make the playoffs this season for our sake :) 

• Like 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

O like the player. Bit the proce is steep

We aren't far along in rebuild to be giving away 1sts.

I like the way Sakic is doing things. Loaded with great young players still adding 2 great 1st rounders this year. 

Sakic sees them still in rebuild mode with several young players needing to take steps forward before they become legit contenders.