The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

And i still think to win in the playoffs, especially in the west, you have to build your team at least to some degree to play that physical, speedy, aggressive style. You still need top end skill too of course. But thats why I am optimistic about the Canucks. Guys like Miller, Roussel, etc. are exactly the kind of complimentary guys you need for the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's interesting -- the "St. Louis Model" is only a month old, but we're in high gear on the way to replicating it already.

St-Louis isn’t a model. It’s been like that for decades. Heavy, fast, talented, heart, determination, one goal; the Stanley Cup.

8 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

That was always what i thought too. Benning going hard after Lucic was a pretty strong tell. But even some of the other guys he has brought in. He definitely drafted for that style this year too. 

I still think there is a Lucic to Vancouver thing hanging around.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

That was always what i thought too. Benning going hard after Lucic was a pretty strong tell. But even some of the other guys he has brought in. He definitely drafted for that style this year too. 

Big time.  Podkolzin looks like an absolute beast, Keppen's no slouch, and Hoglander is shorter but stocky and while supremely skilled can also hit hard.  Kid squats over 300lbs, to boot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I still think there is a Lucic to Vancouver thing hanging around.

I could actually see it happening tbh. The Lucic for Eriksson smoke is pretty thick. I do think though that as much as Eriksson has been garbage in Van, he is still the overall more useful and better player. Add in the extra year and NMC for Lucic (Benning needs to nullify it if he takes Lucic. which he can do as part of the CBA) and I think expanding the deal to include sonething else from Edm is the only way Benning should consider it.

The caveat about those physical players is that to be effective they need at least reasonable speed to play that aggressive forecheck style that served St Louis so well. Lucic is slower than a turtle. Thats why he didnt fit with McDavid. Connor could call and order Dominos and have it delivered and eaten before Lucic would cross the blue line to catch up.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nuck1991 said:

washington and st louis big and heavy hitting teams with lota of depth and everyone chipping in. We neee 4 line and 6 dmen team not just 2 line and 4 dmen

With the cap system does a winning team need to not overspend on one or two players?  I think of teams like Edmonton, Toronto, and Buffalo.  Now the Sharks with EK.  Just wondering if your idea of a more balanced approach is the winning one? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With the cap system does a winning team need to not overspend on one or two players?  I think of teams like Edmonton, Toronto, and Buffalo.  Now the Sharks with EK.  Just wondering if your idea of a more balanced approach is the winning one? 

Overpaying is subjective. Paying quality players slightly above market value to get them to sign is different than signing marginal players to much higher contracts than their contributions warrant. 

It is a given though now that teams need some players on their roster punching above their pay grade and contributing more than they are worth to be successful, especially in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Lucic and and unprotected first for  Loui :bigblush:

That probably means Eriksson isn’t part of the deal. Holland wouldn’t do that.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Only if they kept peter ha I was be sarcastic sorry 

to be serious I would sutter 50% retained for Lucic and unprotected first....

The Canucks absorb term, and recover a first.

The Oilers are a much better team with Sutter.

Just now, Me_ said:

The Canucks absorb term, and recover a first.

The Oilers are a much better team with Sutter.

And we beat them out for a wild card spot and they miss the playoffs and then the ping pong balls bounce and we finally get a top three pick :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

There seems to be some impression that the team 'could have' just went to the UFA market and signed an alternative.

But let's be real about that option - the possibilities are limited to and taper off quicky...

Anders Lee - gonna get paid, and does not play as heavy or versatile a game as Miller

Ferland - ditto, and probably a bigger risk over term

Patrick Maroon - one reasonably priced placeholder option, but not really a comparable.

Connolly - a RW - is also likely to cash in.

Beyond that it's even more of a stretch.

The probability of signing one of the two 'big fish' is probably quite low, realistically - and debatable whether a few  of those are advisable.

I think you might pay more than 5.25 for any of those guys in free agency too.

But regardless, we are going to spend on a dman now. So if we moved the first for a dman instead we would be targeting one of these wingers instead of Myers ect. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

So I’ve seen some opinions from the other side on NHL Instagram .  A lot of Lightning fans hate the trade.  They say that Miller is one of the only players on their team to do something every night which I’m really liking.  Since some on both sides hate the trade I’m thinking it’s pretty even in value.  I’m looking forward to seeing a second version of Horvat on our team.  This really sets us in the right direction making sure we have all our pieces at the same time.  We can’t do everything by drafting and this is the perfect time to go for the playoffs with the cap this year.  Get cheaper UFAs and get players like Miller in trade and start being a playoff contender.  I’m excited!

A TB blogger said he started the season on the first line, and Cooper took him off it after one game and he never went back.  Was then with Killorn and Cirelli for most of the rest of the year, and claims he "wasn't the play driver".  Would seem opinions vary...