The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can’t remember where but I remember reading sometime shortly after the trade that another team had offered up a first. The NYI are coming to mind. 

Not sure why people find it so hard to believe a 26 year old signed for four more years could command a first.

Id be surprised if only one other team dangled a 1st for him. My guess is Vancouvers was the most attractive because of where we’ve finished in the standings the last 4 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:45 AM, Alflives said:

Miller is a brilliant player, isn’t he?  Big, skilled, tough, high compete.  He is great.  

What would he get if he was a free agent on July 1st? $8M for 7 years?

JT is a legit part of our core moving forward. It always hurts giving away 1st round picks but damn is he ever worth it. Unreal return on our investment. 

Don't underrate his contribution off the ice either. He's fit seamlessly into that leadership group and by all accounts has been a great role model, on one of the younger, more impressionable teams in the league. Hell ya!

I've been a fan since 94, so I've been through a few of these waves. Damn it feels good on the come up. :towel:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure why people find it so hard to believe a 26 year old signed for four more years could command a first.

Id be surprised if only one other team dangled a 1st for him. My guess is Vancouvers was the most attractive because of where we’ve finished in the standings the last 4 years.

100%.

A few wanna be Tony Gallaghers on Canucks Twitter thought we should have either signed Nyquist and kept the pick, or traded the pick for Barrie instead (assuming that trade was actually on the table). They're a little quiet these days though. With the exception of Benning's recent interview where he didn't admit he had cap problems. It's like they thought he would come straight out and call for his own resignation or something? 

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't been on CapFriendly since opening night. I'm not here to throw shade at Benning and I'm not here to give him any fake love. I just wanna see us win a Stanley Cup one day and this is the closest it's felt for a long time. Pettersson and Hughes got me hyped. Brock, Bo, JT and Marky are 4 more pieces. More prospects are on the way. Let's enjoy the ride.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Many (including myself) were a bit puzzled because a 1st was given up.  Of course JT is a good player, but considering that the TBL were somewhat in a tough cap situation, the Canucks still paid FMV for him.  

Unless there was some bidding war behind the scenes, you would have assumed that GMJB could have offered a lower package.  

I would be surprised if there weren't other teams involved. TBL wanted to move him so I'm sure they let every team in the NHL know about it.

He is a legit top 6 winger at good cap who played smaller role only because TBL was stacked. I'm sure there were a bit of bidding war going on and JB stepped up and offered a 1st to get us that top 6 winger. I actually thought 1st was below market value for a top 6 winger in his prime. Honestly, I remember being a bit surprised by the reactions on here.

35 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

100%.

A few wanna be Tony Gallaghers on Canucks Twitter thought we should have either signed Nyquist and kept the pick, or traded the pick for Barrie instead (assuming that trade was actually on the table). They're a little quiet these days though. With the exception of Benning's recent interview where he didn't admit he had cap problems. It's like they thought he would come straight out and call for his own resignation or something? 

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't been on CapFriendly since opening night. I'm not here to throw shade at Benning and I'm not here to give him any fake love. I just wanna see us win a Stanley Cup one day and this is the closest it's felt for a long time. Pettersson and Hughes got me hyped. Brock, Bo, JT and Marky are 4 more pieces. More prospects are on the way. Let's enjoy the ride.

I honestly don't think we have a cap problem. EP and QH are RFAs, not UFAs so team has a lot of control. I don't know why people think they will be signed for 15 million dollar contracts. 

Although there isn't a cap problem, there are some dead cap. Luongo + Baer = 6.5 mil. That's enough to sign a UFA top 4D or a top 6F next season to improve the team even further. Could be the difference between contending and winning the cup as soon as next season or having to wait a bit longer. Although Eriksson is playing well, if we can get back his cap as well, that's 12.5 mil. Given the make up of our team, adding a high caliber UFA can have similar effect as Chicago adding Hossa to their young team prior to 2009-2010 season.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Many (including myself) were a bit puzzled because a 1st was given up.  Of course JT is a good player, but considering that the TBL were somewhat in a tough cap situation, the Canucks still paid FMV for him.  

Unless there was some bidding war behind the scenes, you would have assumed that GMJB could have offered a lower package.  

This is what I did not get at the time the trade was made and I get even less now.

Why would anyone assume a team could have gotten JT Miller for less than a 1st round pick and something else?  I guess just uninformed casual fans that don't know much about how much top end players on good deals cost.

Very good players don't get dealt for crap packages.  Very weird belief and in hindsight a really ridiculous one.

• Cheers 1

It's not the fact he was traded for a first round pick it's the fact he was traded for a first round pick that could be a top 3 pick. No one could have predicted how good JT Miller would be. It was overpayment at the time, no question. JB targeted a player he liked and paid the price he thought was fair and acceptable. Worked out in the end but there will be times this doesn't work out, like it didn't with Gudbranson.

Edited by peaches5
  • Wat 5

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This is what I did not get at the time the trade was made and I get even less now.

Why would anyone assume a team could have gotten JT Miller for less than a 1st round pick and something else?  I guess just uninformed casual fans that don't know much about how much top end players on good deals cost.

Very good players don't get dealt for crap packages.  Very weird belief and in hindsight a really ridiculous one.

I'm not saying they throw a 7th rounder to get him, but when a team is having cap issues, it means they are not dealing in a position of strength. 

Before coming to the Canucks, he was just a 50+ points player who up to now is a playoff non-show.  

Just because it's playing better now than in Tampa doesn't mean it's a good trade at the time.  

By declaring it was a great trade without the context at the time is just revisionist history.  

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

It's not the fact he was traded for a first round pick it's the fact he was traded for a first round pick that could be a top 3 pick. No one could have predicted how good JT Miller would be. It was overpayment at the time, no question. JB targeted a player he liked and paid the price he thought was fair and acceptable. Worked out in the end but there will be times this doesn't work out, like it didn't with Gudbranson.

I donno, there were some varied opinions but I think plenty of people figured the Canucks would be sniffing around the playoff race and the pick would end up around 10th or later. Fair deal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I donno, there were some varied opinions but I think plenty of people figured the Canucks would be sniffing around the playoff race and the pick would end up around 10th or later. Fair deal. 

It's fair based off how the Canucks are in a playoff position but would they really need JT Miller if they're missing the playoffs? That's the real question. It worked out but there is no doubt it was a risky endeavor. This team needs to grow a lot more to be an elite team. You don't want to make it a trend to give up first round picks to make yourself better temporarily. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I heard the Lightning we’re trying to send us Johnson or Point, but JB insisted on Miller.  We are a cap team, right?  Would you trade Bo for what TBay got for Miller?  Of course not; only a complete moron would do that.  So we got another Bo for a mid to late first, and a third.  TBay was forced to give us such an amazing deal because they were capped out.  We win again.  You should bow to JB, and be thankful he is so damned good.  

There is no way they were ever giving up Point. Cooper had said Point was their best player. If JB turned down a deal for Point that didn't give up Hughes or Pettersson he is a complete fool.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

There is no way they were ever giving up Point. Cooper had said Point was their best player. If JB turned down a deal for Point that didn't give up Hughes or Pettersson he is a complete fool.

Point sure has led TBay to playoff success.  7 mil for a Smurf Mcsofty.  

Go to the TBay board if you like their players so much better than ours.  Oh that’s right.  They don’t have a forum, because they have no fans. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Point sure has led TBay to playoff success.  7 mil for a Smurf Mcsofty.  

Go to the TBay board if you like their players so much better than ours.  Oh that’s right.  They don’t have a forum, because they have no fans. 

Point and Hedman were both injured during the playoffs. You take away your best centreman and best dman and any team is going to struggle. The Blue Jackets were also far better than what people gave them credit for. 

Our comparison to point is Hughes. Hughes is soft but extremely skilled it doesn't take away from how good he is. 

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Point and Hedman were both injured during the playoffs. You take away your best centreman and best dman and any team is going to struggle. The Blue Jackets were also far better than what people gave them credit for. 

Our comparison to point is Hughes. Hughes is soft but extremely skilled it doesn't take away from how good he is. 

Your comparison is Hughes?  Once you bring in a phenom like we have in Hughes (Canuck’s board here, right?) then that’s clearly an attempt to get a negative emotional response from Canuck’s fans.  Again, go to your TBay board. 

It’s okay to admit your team got bent over on the Miller deal.  You were forced because of your cap. 

Edited by Alflives

38 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I thought we'd be sniffing around the PO this year but not make it, meaning we'd keep that 10-15th pick and give up the 2021 1st which i'd expected to be lower since we should be a strong contender next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

I thought we'd be sniffing around the PO this year but not make it, meaning we'd keep that 10-15th pick and give up the 2021 1st which i'd expected to be lower since we should be a strong contender next year.

TBay took a chance on us not being so good.  They were stuck, and took the best deal they could get.  They lost, and will get a mid to late late first.  Likely that player selected will not help their current window for winning.  Too bad for them.  

12 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

That was pretty much my prediction too. Either way, a fair price imo. 

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

Burke on the intermission of the Jets/CBJ arguing that MIller was the best offseason acquisition in the NHL.

And that the Canucks are the biggest "surprise" in the NHL.

Hard to argue with either Burkie.

Canucks twitterverse may never like you, but some of us in here sure do.

hey burkie is still a homer

and he was speaking to a canadian audience

hard to really dispute that columbus is the biggest surprise of the league this season

i really like what the nucks have done

but i fully expected blue jackets to be down right awful this season

and my outlook was also bolstered by my fairly strong non positive views about torts too

but they currently have a better record then the nucks

how is that not more surprising?