The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

On 7/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, BlastPast said:

Am I the only one that finds takes like this incredibly arrogant ? LIke, if anyone were to see this differently they must be delusional ? I'm not familiar with this guy, is he a popular "pundit" around these parts ? Call me delusional but I'll just stick to my own logic and reasoning , it's done pretty well for me.

Halford is a Team 1040 host, and Athletic writer. But most of all, he's a fan of the team. And he made that tweet in the heat of the moment.

Some fans are pissed that the Canucks traded a 1st round pick - Halford is one, I am another. The team very well may have given up a talent equivalent to a Podkolzin, Hughes, or even Pettersson for a 2nd line winger halfway through his prime.

Hopefully the team comes together and the pick is late, but given our last few seasons saying that is a sure thing seems somewhat absurd...even delusional.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Halford is a Team 1040 host, and Athletic writer. But most of all, he's a fan of the team. And he made that tweet in the heat of the moment.

Some fans are pissed that the Canucks traded a 1st round pick - Halford is one, I am another. The team very well may have given up a talent equivalent to a Podkolzin, Hughes, or even Pettersson for a 2nd line winger halfway through his prime.

Hopefully the team comes together and the pick is late, but given our last few seasons saying that is a sure thing seems somewhat absurd...even delusional.

Look what we're seeing unfold right now in Winnipeg.  We know that they were uber patient with their drafting and made very few changes along the way.  The exception may be when they moved Evander Kane for Tyler Myers .  They're in tough keeping their team together.  

Maybe it's better to stick with drafting and developing for a fixed period of time.  Once the core is in the system, it may be better to concentrate on supporting that core with players of similar ages so that when the team is truly competitive, the ages of the group are closer.  When the core is off their elc's they only have to worry about moving out supporting players.  Chicago for example was able to keep their core together through several purges of supporting players.

I'm not saying one strategy is better than the other because I don't know.  It doesn't mean what the Canucks are doing is wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Fine with either side of this view. I'm betting this team makes the show at least 1 of the next 2 years. You're not. Thats fine you're entitled to your own opinion just like Halford. The difference is you don't belittle others for not sharing your opinion. I expect more out of a professional like him over a cdc member. You dont see button or bob say any crap like this.

Also them employing writers like this is reason 85386 why I dont pay for the athletic.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Look what we're seeing unfold right now in Winnipeg.  We know that they were uber patient with their drafting and made very few changes along the way.  The exception may be when they moved Evander Kane for Tyler Myers .  They're in tough keeping their team together.  

Maybe it's better to stick with drafting and developing for a fixed period of time.  Once the core is in the system, it may be better to concentrate on supporting that core with players of similar ages so that when the team is truly competitive, the ages of the group are closer.  When the core is off their elc's they only have to worry about moving out supporting players.  Chicago for example was able to keep their core together through several purges of supporting players.

I'm not saying one strategy is better than the other because I don't know.  It doesn't mean what the Canucks are doing is wrong though.

I agree with both of you. I just don't think the 1st was worth the risk - not when we haven't proven anything yet. The team looks much better on paper than a month ago, but we haven't played a game yet.

Had the Miller trade involved two 2nds, and something else, I would applaud it. Great player, exactly what we need. But the risk is just far too high with a 1st, and Ottawa just showed everyone why.

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that quoting myself is weird but thought of another example, the Flames

Now they filled holes in their line up by making trades.  Hamilton for a 1st and 2 x 2nds, and Hamonic and conditional 4th for a 1st, 2nd and cond 2nd.  Has this worked out?  I guess so but there is still a gaping hole in net.  The Flames finished 1st in the West with 107 points and tied for 2nd in the league for points in the regular season last year.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Time will tell but I think the 'Benning desperate to save his job' narrative is largely overblown nonsense.

Yeah why would he draft Podz or Hoglander instead of looking for immediate help if he was that short-sighted?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

whats bennings track record on free agents and trades like?  Poor, and what is CDC's claim on Bennings drafting record?  And where is Canucks at in their rebuild? To me it looks short sighted and overestimating what this team has on its roster.    They are not close to a playoff team.   they went 9 - 41 against play off teams last season.   Not good.

I would rather continue along the drafting of youth then trading them away.

With elite guys getting huge dollars after their ELC I think the landscape for rebuilding and competing has changed.  We have Bess now, and Petey and Hughes in two years all (likely) getting big cap dollars.  The time to compete starts now, and that will keep the window open longer.  

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Time will tell but I think the 'Benning desperate to save his job' narrative is largely overblown nonsense.

If Benning sacrificed the future of the team for his own personal gain, he would never get another job in the league in upper management.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

You can't get the reward without taking the risk. It's as simple as that.

And given the already shown, improving trajectory of the existing core, plus the 'on paper' improvements you noted and the additional kids still on their way.... I think it's a fairly good 'bet' for Benning to take that we make the playoffs in the next two years. He's simply showing confidence in what he's put together and that he'll be able to continue to mold this young team towards one that makes the playoffs.

Quite right. And what the posters who keep talking about the risk of trading a pick seem to be missing, is that a pick also contains a large amount of risk. Much more risk than for an established player.

The pick might turn into a player as good as Miller. That would actually be a good outcome. The pick might turn into a better player than Miller. That would be very lucky. Or the pick could turn into a lesser player than Miller. That is quite probable.

Or the pick could turn into a complete bust. That is much more likely than the chances of netting a superstar, which some unrealistic posters seem to consider to be probable.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Quite right. And what the posters who keep talking about the risk of trading a pick seem to be missing, is that a pick also contains a large amount of risk. Much more risk than for an established player.

The pick might turn into a player as good as Miller. That would actually be a good outcome. The pick might turn into a better player than Miller. That would be very lucky. Or the pick could turn into a lesser player than Miller. That is quite probable.

Or the pick could turn into a complete bust. That is much more likely than that chances of netting a superstar, which some unrealistic posters seem to consider to be probable.

And if that pick is in 2021 he will most likely not be contributing to Miller’s level (if at all) until 2025.  Getting Miller now opens the window (for our current young core) wider, and keeps it open longer.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

whats bennings track record on free agents and trades like?  Poor, and what is CDC's claim on Bennings drafting record?  And where is Canucks at in their rebuild? To me it looks short sighted and overestimating what this team has on its roster.    They are not close to a playoff team.   they went 9 - 41 against play off teams last season.   Not good.

I would rather continue along the drafting of youth then trading them away.

What's Benning's context on free agents and trades that you like to conveniently ignore? Where are they in their rebuild? Their core is largely in place and they're closer to the end than the beginning. Drafting youth like Podkolzin, Hoglander or the 7 other prospects they selected a few weeks ago? No, clearly we're not doing any of that anymore :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ohmy said:

You might want to check your stats again. They weren't 9-41 against playoff teams. They were 18-26 and thats not including ot. Were not as far off as some would believe. Should definetly push for a wildcard spot this year.

More Importantly, you should have George Takei for your avatar.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1