The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Silovs is looking to be a better bet as an NHL goalie than Mikey D.  Silovs will get the starter's role in Abbotsford.  Mikey needs to play.  It's either the ECHL for Mikey or his in another organization.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think we were very lucky to pluck this guy in the draft. I remember being ecstatic when we made the selection, and I still am.

Does Clarke have say in our goalie drafts?  

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea he does.

He is very involved in who they select.

Can we find a guy as smart as Clarke who coaches D?  Clearly Clarke has a set of parameters he follows to guide the scouts.  We need a guy with that kind of “eye” for D.  Silovs looks to be a great young goalie.  He will be pushing for the big club in a couple years.   

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can we find a guy as smart as Clarke who coaches D?  Clearly Clarke has a set of parameters he follows to guide the scouts.  We need a guy with that kind of “eye” for D.  Silovs looks to be a great young goalie.  He will be pushing for the big club in a couple years.   

didn't you post Scott Stevens might be a candidate to come here? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Silovs made another apperance, relieving Elvis Merzlikins with Latvia down 2-3.  Silovs made all 6 saves and got the win as Latvians came back to win the game 4-3. 

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Silovs made another apperance, relieving Elvis Merzlikins with Latvia down 2-3.  Silovs made all 6 saves and got the win as Latvians came back to win the game 4-3. 

I watched that game this morning.  Merzlikins got yanked after allowing the third British goal.  Our guy went in and stopped some shots right away.  Then Latvia seemed to get confidence from Silovs being their goalie and took over the game.  Don’t know if they play more games, but our guy should start if they do.  Merzlikins is not playing good.  Might be battling an injury. 

Edited by Alflives

Arturs Silovs stopped 29 of 32 shots in 65 minutes of hockey, then denied four of five Austrian shootout attempts to help Latvia win 4-3 and earn a very important extra point in a fierce battle between two teams that aren’t out of the woods regarding relegation, and aren’t quite ready to give up on their playoff chances either.

“For me I was really hope that my team was going to score,” said Silovs. “I knew I could stop them so I was just thinking ‘Guys, score! We’re going to win this!’ I haven’t played the Austrians a lot, I played them back in juniors but not any more. It’s an important win.”

The game was witnessed by 8516 spectators, the largest crowd of the tournament so far for a game that doesn’t involve host Finland, mostly due to the large contingent of travelling Latvian fans, which continues to grow by the game.

• Like 1

I watched the game in the arena today and was sitting right behind the goal, 5th row perfect view on the goalie. Merzlikins did a lot of fancy warm-up moves, not much else. Couldn't do much on the first two goals, the third was a decent shot, but not unstoppable. Silovs looked very calm and steady, has a good presence in goal. Didn't have a lot to do, but neither did Merzlikins. He was quite slow when leaving to net to play the puck behind the goal, otherwise he was really gud. Hopefully he gets in another game.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joe-max said:

I watched the game in the arena today and was sitting right behind the goal, 5th row perfect view on the goalie. Merzlikins did a lot of fancy warm-up moves, not much else. Couldn't do much on the first two goals, the third was a decent shot, but not unstoppable. Silovs looked very calm and steady, has a good presence in goal. Didn't have a lot to do, but neither did Merzlikins. He was quite slow when leaving to net to play the puck behind the goal, otherwise he was really gud. Hopefully he gets in another game.

The TV announcers said Merzlikins left the arena after he got pulled.  The way he skated off he looked mad to get the yank.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The TV announcers said Merzlikins left the arena after he got pulled.  The way he skated off he looked mad to get the yank.  

Yup. Didn't look too happy. I assume he returned at one point, but didn't see it.

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

Yup. Didn't look too happy. I assume he returned at one point, but didn't see it.

Did you catch any other games in Finland? Do you live there? Thanks for the report :)

Great to see Silovs 21, 6'4 play so well at world  championships. I can see Silvos playing 40 games or more with Abbotsford next season.

GP 4 - 952 SA% - 1.22 GAA -  Hope he gets more playing time very tough last 2 season getting in games with covid..Last season 3 goalie rotation for  first half of the season..

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 12:32 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Did you catch any other games in Finland? Do you live there? Thanks for the report :)

Yep, moved to Finland two years ago. Didn't catch any other live games on-site, it's too expensive and too long a ride after all, but all the Finland games are on free TV, so I watched some of them and highlights of the other games. Silovs looked great in both games I saw.

The tournament is a big thing over here in Finland, everybody knows about it and most families watch it. Should Finland win it again, some NHL team should take a serious look at Jukka Jalonen, their coach, who has basically won anything there is in recent years. Despite individually less talented than others, team Finland plays with amazing structure, discipline and cleverness. Even against Canada now it looks like Finland plays a better team game while Canada just tries to overpower the opponent. Let's see what happens in the 2nd...