The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Is he gonna be better than Gaudette??  NHL ready?? 

Hockey Gaud believed he was a God, so didn't accept he needed to change his game to be a useful player at the NHL level.  

McDonough is a character kid.  Plus he's 50 pounds heavier. 

• Cheers 1

From Drance and Dhaliwal in The Athletic yesterday:

“Boston area contacts have long suggested that McDonough’s lean was to return to Northeastern for his senior season, and that was still the case as of Saturday afternoon. With the Canucks pressing hard to get a deal done, it does feel behind the scenes like the ground has shifted a bit in the last 12 to 15 hours.

The Canucks — who had a scout at Northeastern’s game on Friday — reached out to McDonough’s adviser on Wednesday, sources confirmed to The Athletic, and have been in dialogue with the talented 2019 seventh-round pick’s camp again on Saturday.

As of this writing, The Athletic understands that no decision has been made yet. That’s a good sign for the Canucks, and this situation could play out over the next several days, which is common when a college athlete takes some time to process a heartbreaking loss and decide on the next step to take in their career.”

https://theathletic.com/3211291/2022/03/26/what-were-hearing-about-the-canucks-pursuit-of-aidan-mcdonough-and-the-chase-for-ncaa-free-agents/

The article strikes me a bit as passing off no news as “news.”

It was known that McDonough was leaning toward completing his senior year. However, that was before (a) his teammates made their own decisions about their futures and going pro and (b) the Canucks made their play on offering a deal and trying to convince McDonough to sign.

I don’t see anything in that article to suggest Drance and Dhaliwal have a “scoop” or know which direction McDonough is leaning at this moment. It’s still up in the air.

But what is clear (and the writers note this as well) is that McDonough having not yet formally committed to returning to Northeastern is a good sign for the Canucks.

It suggests he’s at least considering turning pro, and hasn’t really made up his mind.

I believe Northeastern has about half a dozen graduating seniors, as well as another handful of players who could turn pro, either as draft picks or free agents. So it will be interesting to see how much of this year’s Huskies team actually returns for next season, and how those decisions might impact McDonough.

The Canucks also have done a good job building relationships with their college players, and McDonough is no exception. They may be able to convince him to sign this week, regardless of the decisions of teammates like Levi (Buffalo owns rights) and Struble (Montreal), among others. But if McDonough does decide to return for a senior year, I think there will still be a very good chance he signs with the Canucks in one year’s time.

But obviously, getting pen to paper on an ELC this week would be the best result for the Canucks. Would eliminate any uncertainty and potential free agent risk (although I think McDonough is unlikely to take that route and will stay loyal to his draft team), and deliver a promising young player into the Canucks system, and most likely for a debut this season, assuming they burn the first year (usually a given in these cases).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

Skating has improved, but needs to make another jump for him to contribute in the NHL. He’s got a wicked shot, but if he doesn’t have the pace to get to shooting positions it won’t matter much. Still, hope he signs so that we have another kid with some potential in the pipeline.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Skating has improved, but needs to make another jump for him to contribute in the NHL. He’s got a wicked shot, but if he doesn’t have the pace to get to shooting positions it won’t matter much. Still, hope he signs so that we have another kid with some potential in the pipeline.

I agree that he can shoot the puck, but I haven't seen him do anything else. The trap we can fall into when all we see are a player's highlights is that we never see if he ever back checks, or makes a play, or dishes a saucer pass to a teammate. I've seen McDonough score a ton of goals, but I wonder if he has a complete game. If not, he's better off at Northeastern and I think the next logical step for him is Abbotsford. Oh, and completing a degree is never a bad option.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

From Drance and Dhaliwal in The Athletic yesterday:

“Boston area contacts have long suggested that McDonough’s lean was to return to Northeastern for his senior season, and that was still the case as of Saturday afternoon. With the Canucks pressing hard to get a deal done, it does feel behind the scenes like the ground has shifted a bit in the last 12 to 15 hours.

The Canucks — who had a scout at Northeastern’s game on Friday — reached out to McDonough’s adviser on Wednesday, sources confirmed to The Athletic, and have been in dialogue with the talented 2019 seventh-round pick’s camp again on Saturday.

As of this writing, The Athletic understands that no decision has been made yet. That’s a good sign for the Canucks, and this situation could play out over the next several days, which is common when a college athlete takes some time to process a heartbreaking loss and decide on the next step to take in their career.”

https://theathletic.com/3211291/2022/03/26/what-were-hearing-about-the-canucks-pursuit-of-aidan-mcdonough-and-the-chase-for-ncaa-free-agents/

The article strikes me a bit as passing off no news as “news.”

It was known that McDonough was leaning toward completing his senior year. However, that was before (a) his teammates made their own decisions about their futures and going pro and (b) the Canucks made their play on offering a deal and trying to convince McDonough to sign.

I don’t see anything in that article to suggest Drance and Dhaliwal have a “scoop” or know which direction McDonough is leaning at this moment. It’s still up in the air.

But what is clear (and the writers note this as well) is that McDonough having not yet formally committed to returning to Northeastern is a good sign for the Canucks.

It suggests he’s at least considering turning pro, and hasn’t really made up his mind.

I believe Northeastern has about half a dozen graduating seniors, as well as another handful of players who could turn pro, either as draft picks or free agents. So it will be interesting to see how much of this year’s Huskies team actually returns for next season, and how those decisions might impact McDonough.

The Canucks also have done a good job building relationships with their college players, and McDonough is no exception. They may be able to convince him to sign this week, regardless of the decisions of teammates like Levi (Buffalo owns rights) and Struble (Montreal), among others. But if McDonough does decide to return for a senior year, I think there will still be a very good chance he signs with the Canucks in one year’s time.

But obviously, getting pen to paper on an ELC this week would be the best result for the Canucks. Would eliminate any uncertainty and potential free agent risk (although I think McDonough is unlikely to take that route and will stay loyal to his draft team), and deliver a promising young player into the Canucks system, and most likely for a debut this season, assuming they burn the first year (usually a given in these cases).

this is a practice that I hope stops with this management group

If, as suggested McDonough needs work on his skating

and there are other things that need work

I hope  the Canucks give the player the utmost time to develop before he is waiver eligible needs to sign an RFA contract and needs to make the big club

Burning the first year is a practice of thin/desperate teams

36 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Honestly this is good news. He needs to work on his skating. Another year, another step forward. Once he signs we have amazing skating coaches to work with him to keep him progressing in the right direction. Bigger guys take time. No need to rush the young man if he thinks he can make more positive gains in college let him.

If he felt ready to start his pro career with Vancouver/Abby he would. Honestly no prospect who feels ready for the pros chooses to stay a 4th year in College just to try to win a championship. If he feels ready for the pros but still chose this route - then he wants UFA status in a year.

Still disappointing.

Boeser turned pro at 20. Rathbone at 21. Gaudette at 21. McDonough wants to stay another year and not turn pro until he’s 24?

He scored 25 goals this year. If he’s worried about his skating we have the best skating coaches in the world. What exactly is he going to work on in College to improve that he can’t do in Abby?

Sounds like we are wasting our time with him. He won’t even be seeing the NHL until he is 25 minimum.  I’d package him in a trade out East, Boston, New Jersey, New York. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sounds like we are wasting our time with him. He won’t even be seeing the NHL until he is 25 minimum.  I’d package him in a trade out East, Boston, New Jersey, New York. 

Doesn't sound like that at all. The Canucks have been supportive and patient with McDonough. He thinks he would benefit from one more year in college. He knows how much Vancouver wants him and he has professed loyalty and the hope that he will play in Vancouver one day. But because he won't sign now, you want to trade him? Glad you aren't the GM.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser turned pro at 20. Rathbone at 21. Gaudette at 21. McDonough wants to stay another year and not turn pro until he’s 24?

He scored 25 goals this year. If he’s worried about his skating we have the best skating coaches in the world. What exactly is he going to work on in College to improve that he can’t do in Abby?

Patience, he still has things to work on. Doesn’t mean that he won’t still sign here.