The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

Do fans look at the NCAA stats, McDonough is ranked 10th Pts/G which maybe, just maybe put Mr McDonough in perspective

2022‑23 NCAA Statistics - Scoring Leaders : College Hockey News

Take notice of the collage years for each player, McDonough is a Senior, McAllister is a freshman, it makes a difference

Edited by Fred65
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

1 strong game and he vaults into 2-3rd place. I have no idea what he is focusing this season. Maybe a better d-side game? Perhaps someone following NCAA can comment? 

It think it's been two years now that he has been focusing on improving his skating... 

But I don't watch his games, just highlights and interviews. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It think it's been two years now that he has been focusing on improving his skating... 

But I don't watch his games, just highlights and interviews. 

Isn’t he coming 24?  He’s a guy who either plays on the big club within a year or he’s not an NHL player.  He will need to change his game though.  He’s not getting Cherry minutes on our club.  Which could eff3ct whether he signs with us or decides to wait a couple months to become a UFA and sign where he will get a better opportunity for an offensive role.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

He should be in Abbotsford playing in better competition

If we are out of the playoff hunt, you will probably see him get his 7 or 8 NHL games with an ELC. 

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Very much like this player but if there is any doubt he will sign with us we must trade him before the coming TDL.  Use him in a Boeser deal.  But he’s too good to lose to free agency.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very much like this player but if there is any doubt he will sign with us we must trade him before the coming TDL.  Use him in a Boeser deal.  But he’s too good to lose to free agency.  

Hopefully the Canucks are well aware of his intentions, or at least will be by the TDL. I don’t think McDonough is the type to mess them about, so if he’s not interested in signing with Vancouver, I’d expect he’ll make that clear. He really seems like a good kid.

I still think he’ll sign with us, but I’m a little less sure about it than I used to be. He’s good friends with Jack Rathbone, and while I don’t necessarily feel that Jack has been mistreated here, he definitely hasn’t made the (full) jump to the NHL as quickly as might have been expected, and this could impact how McDonough views his chances with the organization.

That all said, I think the Canucks development staff have done a good job with their communications and ties with college prospects, and hopefully that’s enough to keep McDonough committed to the idea of starting his pro career with the Canucks (as he’s indicated repeatedly in the past to be his intentions).

We’ll see in a few months. But yeah, if McDonough doesn’t want to sign, then he should be packaged in a trade, rather than lose him for nothing. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I don’t have any doubt he’d sign with us, but I still think he and his buddy Rathbone should be attached to Miller to facilitate a trade.

Maybe @mll can explain the advantage (if there is any) to McDonnough signing with us after his season is done as opposed to him waiting a couple more months and becoming a UFA?  

I don’t see any that outweighs getting to choose his club.  

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe @mll can explain the advantage (if there is any) to McDonnough signing with us after his season is done as opposed to him waiting a couple more months and becoming a UFA?  

I don’t see any that outweighs getting to choose his club.  

With the anticipated player moves coming before the TDL there should be lots of opportunity for players like McDonough. He will sign.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

With the anticipated player moves coming before the TDL there should be lots of opportunity for players like McDonough. He will sign.

What’s his incentive to sign with us and not wait a couple more months to be a UFA?  The dollars are the same.  He’s still going to be an ELC.  He’s still locked in to the team he picks for 7 seasons.  Why wouldn’t he wait? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What’s his incentive to sign with us and not wait a couple more months to be a UFA?  The dollars are the same.  He’s still going to be an ELC.  He’s still locked in to the team he picks for 7 seasons.  Why wouldn’t he wait? 

You could easily be right Alf. If the world evolves my way I hope :) then McDonough signs with Van because of the relationships he has developed with the org but more importantly he likely suits up in March/April of this year instead of waiting. Again, if the deals happen prior to the TDL that I hope happen then McDonough sees a clear opportunity to break into the roster without as much vet competition. This guy isn't a kid anymore at 24. He has a shot and decent size just what the Canucks need. Love to see him on the 3rd line.    

With the contract structure can he burn a year from his ELC signing in March/April?  Or earn some money by way of signing bonus that wouldn’t otherwise be available?

47 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

With the contract structure can he burn a year from his ELC signing in March/April?  Or earn some money by way of signing bonus that wouldn’t otherwise be available?

I hope you’re right, because then there is incentive for him to sign with us as soon as his college season is over.  Otherwise, he does like others before who played their full college career and goes to pick the team he wants in August.  Even with some incentives waiting a couple months so a guy can pick his team is pretty attractive.  

Imhao we should trade him before the coming TDL.  His value to us to dumperoo a contract and clear cap might be the best move.  

On 1/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, Alflives said:

I hope you’re right, because then there is incentive for him to sign with us as soon as his college season is over.  Otherwise, he does like others before who played their full college career and goes to pick the team he wants in August.  Even with some incentives waiting a couple months so a guy can pick his team is pretty attractive.  

Imhao we should trade him before the coming TDL.  His value to us to dumperoo a contract and clear cap might be the best move.  

Seldom happens that a player doesn't sign with the team that drafted him unless that team has no interest in signing the player.

I also think that we're over thinking what McDonough will bring to the team. He's not Boeser, he's not going to have the same impact immediate as Boeser did. Last year, everyone was freaking out about signing Karlsson and all the big things he was going to do and how he'd be playing top 6 for the Canucks this season. Instead, he's in Abbotsford, racking up points, but working on getting his skating to an NHL level. I see a lot of the same issues with McDonough, he's going to need time in Abbotsford, at least one season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1