The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Nothing has changed. As far as I know, his last indication of he planned to sign. I just don't have a ton of faith saying this orginization right now. If you had the chance to go anywhere, would you choose the Canucks after all the drama this year? Also not sure how often a player makes it to the FA cutoff as a college player and still signs with their drafting team.

The only thing that’s changed, really, is some rumour mongering from “insiders” who speculated a few weeks ago that McDonough wouldn’t sign with the Canucks.

I haven’t really seen anything strongly sourced to actually support this. But Twitter types know that Canucks related posts usually get a good amount of engagement, so it makes sense they’d float some stories right now, just for the views.

As far as what McDonough himself has said, it’s always been very positive and he’s made several statements indicating his commitment to Vancouver. Of course it’s possible he’s changed his mind, but I’m not aware of any new statements coming from the player indicating that he’s now leaning toward holding out for free agency.

Chances seem pretty good that he hasn’t changed his mind, and most of the chatter is just noise.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The only thing that’s changed, really, is some rumour mongering from “insiders” who speculated a few weeks ago that McDonough wouldn’t sign with the Canucks.

I haven’t really seen anything strongly sourced to actually support this. But Twitter types know that Canucks related posts usually get a good amount of engagement, so it makes sense they’d float some stories right now, just for the views.

As far as what McDonough himself has said, it’s always been very positive and he’s made several statements indicating his commitment to Vancouver. Of course it’s possible he’s changed his mind, but I’m not aware of any new statements coming from the player indicating that he’s now leaning toward holding out for free agency.

Chances seem pretty good that he hasn’t changed his mind, and most of the chatter is just noise.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suspect that if he decided he wouldn't sign with Van that he would tell them while they had some time to deal him if there was an option to do so. That said I don't know why any interested team would trade for him if they thought he wouldn't sign with them. As pointed out there are financial benefits in signing. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect that if he decided he wouldn't sign with Van that he would tell them while they had some time to deal him if there was an option to do so. That said I don't know why any interested team would trade for him if they thought he wouldn't sign with them. As pointed out there are financial benefits in signing. 

Competition amongst teams, cut throat. Remember Fox went thrrough the same predicament  and eventually trraded as an NCAA player 3 times before signing with the NYR. Drafted by Calgary and then the rights traded to Carolina and then eventually NY all before he played a game in the NHL

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Locke Lamora said:

Another litmus test for our “All Star” management team. Hope they can rise to the occasion and get this kid (23 year old, lol) into our system.

Didn’t get him t sign last year.  Not too hopeful he signs with us. 

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Competition amongst teams, cut throat. Remember Fox went thrrough the same predicament  and eventually trraded as an NCAA player 3 times before signing with the NYR. Drafted by Calgary and then the rights traded to Carolina and then eventually NY all before he played a game in the NHL

If I remember correctly, Fox never made it a secret that he wanted to sign with the Rangers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2nd Beanpot win of his four year college career (they lost 1-0 in last year’s final, the previous year got cancelled due to Covid, and the last NU win was in his freshman year). Gotta think this one was special, winning as a graduating senior and team captain, and scoring the deciding goal in the shootout.

Happy for Aidan. :) 

It may seem like a small tournament, with just four local teams competing each year (Boston University, Boston College, Harvard, and Northeastern), but there’s a lot of history to the Beanpot, and for a suburban Boston kid like McDonough, it’s gotta be extra special.

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

2nd Beanpot win of his four year college career (they lost 1-0 in last year’s final, the previous year got cancelled due to Covid, and the last NU win was in his freshman year). Gotta think this one was special, winning as a graduating senior and team captain, and scoring the deciding goal in the shootout.

Happy for Aidan. :) 

It may seem like a small tournament, with just four local teams competing each year (Boston University, Boston College, Harvard, and Northeastern), but there’s a lot of history to the Beanpot, and for a suburban Boston kid like McDonough, it’s gotta be extra special.

The rivalry is intense, It's a big deal for those playing. Pretty big crowds too

On 2/13/2023 at 9:59 AM, Shayster007 said:

Nothing has changed. As far as I know, his last indication of he planned to sign. I just don't have a ton of faith saying this orginization right now. If you had the chance to go anywhere, would you choose the Canucks after all the drama this year? Also not sure how often a player makes it to the FA cutoff as a college player and still signs with their drafting team.

I don't really think these guys look at the team with the scrutiny we do here on CDC. If anything the disfunction just provides a better opportunity to play in the NHL.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/exclusive-aidan-mcdonough-plan-sign-canucks-captain-northeastern

"My plan is to sign with Vancouver at the end of my NCAA season,” he said.

Why wouldn't he?  He could climb the ranks quickly on this team, rather sit in the AHL until he 'ready'

to jump into the NHL on better teams.  We're not talking about a top calibre player here; he'll likely

be a 3LW (maybe gets some time on the 2nd) on the Canucks.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Despite the facts that if he does, he can (1) finish his ELC sooner, (2) shorten his wait for UFA status by a year, and (3) collect a year's worth of signing bonus this season, and (4) he has already given his word that he will sign with us when he finishes his NCAA season? 

You are entitled to believe whatever you want, but all of the facts point towards him signing with us this spring.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

Despite the facts that if he does, he can (1) finish his ELC sooner, (2) shorten his wait for UFA status by a year, and (3) collect a year's worth of signing bonus this season, and (4) he has already given his word that he will sign with us when he finishes his NCAA season? 

You are entitled to believe whatever you want, but all of the facts point towards him signing with us this spring.

That's great if those are advantages to signing with us! I thought, because of his age, his ELC is two years regardless though? But hopefully the other things help him to sign with us. 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/exclusive-aidan-mcdonough-plan-sign-canucks-captain-northeastern

"My plan is to sign with Vancouver at the end of my NCAA season,” he said.

Why wouldn't he?  He could climb the ranks quickly on this team, rather sit in the AHL until he 'ready'

to jump into the NHL on better teams.  We're not talking about a top calibre player here; he'll likely

be a 3LW (maybe gets some time on the 2nd) on the Canucks.

McDonough   Raty   Podkolzin

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Insert Klimovich in place of Pods. Pods will be with the big club next year. That still could turn out to be a very good line IMO.

Kuzmenko        Pettersson   Podkolzin

Miller                Fantilli          Klimovich

McDonough     Raty             Mikheyev