The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

I think a big reason he may or may not sign with us is whether he'll get a decent shot next year, and a lot of that comes down to how many of our over-priced wingers we can ship out. Boeser and Garland are almost playing for their jobs right now, as is Miller. They're all looking good with Tocchet, even though there's nothing to play for. It's almost as if they're playing for their jobs so they don't get traded (or they're playing so well they want to boost their value).

Either way, we would be wise to trade at least one winger this TDL, get some help on defence and then hopefully we can convince McDonough that he'll get decent minutes. 

Realistically I think we flip one winger, most likely Boeser sadly, in which case there's always a possibility McDonough has a strong training camp and starts on our 3rd line - especially if Pearson is injured. You know Hoglander is going to blow everyone out of the water at training camp (and then who knows after that...), but if we can sign a decent 3C UFA, that's a pretty solid 3rd line right there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think a big reason he may or may not sign with us is whether he'll get a decent shot next year, and a lot of that comes down to how many of our over-priced wingers we can ship out. Boeser and Garland are almost playing for their jobs right now, as is Miller. They're all looking good with Tocchet, even though there's nothing to play for. It's almost as if they're playing for their jobs so they don't get traded (or they're playing so well they want to boost their value).

Either way, we would be wise to trade at least one winger this TDL, get some help on defence and then hopefully we can convince McDonough that he'll get decent minutes. 

Realistically I think we flip one winger, most likely Boeser sadly, in which case there's always a possibility McDonough has a strong training camp and starts on our 3rd line - especially if Pearson is injured. You know Hoglander is going to blow everyone out of the water at training camp (and then who knows after that...), but if we can sign a decent 3C UFA, that's a pretty solid 3rd line right there.

Karlsson

Klim

I'd be including AM in a tdl deal if it were me

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Can’t risk losing any player (who has value) for nothing. Use him as the sugar to dumperoo a contract. 

Quit dumping contracts. And Aidan is someone we should be giving an opportunity to 

before tossing him aside. 

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Karlsson

Klim

I'd be including AM in a tdl deal if it were me

I wouldn't. You, me, or anyone else on this board knows whether he'll sign or not. 

But I'd rather give the guy an opportunity to see what he brings before shipping 

him off. 

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

**must resist urge to make bad joke here**

I’m a little more optimistic than most, and think the chances of McDonough signing with the Canucks is 50/50 or better. But that’s just a guess.

The current roster has a bit of a glut of wingers, but I think some of them won’t be here next year, or much further into the future. The Canucks can still offer McDonough a good opportunity to be part of their roster retool, with a future spot in their middle six. And I think they also offer better than average development and support to incoming young players, especially with the coaching changes in Abby, the Sedins taking on a big role, and the overall revamping of the player development department (in addition to some strong hirings by the previous management, like their skating coach, MacKenzie Braid, who should be able to help McDonough continue to get better).

They’ve also had the benefit of several years of building a relationship with McDonough, and while the management team has changed (from the one that drafted him), the development staff members who actually handle the NCAA players remain the same, and I expect they still have close ties and good communication.

Hopefully it will prove to be enough.

Damn It, joke away lol. Thanks for the answer though. I hope he get him done, just want to see some more promising young players in Abby. Would also hurt losing a prospect for nothing if he walks at FA with so little in the cupboard.

Edited by Shayster007

15 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Damn It, joke away lol. Thanks for the answer though. I hope he get him done, just want to see some more promising young players in Abby. Would also hurt losing a prospect for nothing if he walks at FA with so little in the cupboard.

Hopefully if management gets the sense that McDonough has changed his previously stayed intentions, and has now decided won’t sign, they’ll package him into one of the upcoming trades as a sweetener or secondary piece. At least that way they recoup some value. But ideally he signs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Quit dumping contracts. And Aidan is someone we should be giving an opportunity to 

before tossing him aside. 

Love to get AM signed, but the risk is too high (he won’t sign) than the reward. What incentive does he have to sign with us in May when he can wait until August and be a UFA? 

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully if management gets the sense that McDonough has changed his previously stayed intentions, and has now decided won’t sign, they’ll package him into one of the upcoming trades as a sweetener or secondary piece. At least that way they recoup some value. But ideally he signs.

RJ has put in work forming a bond with MacDonough so hopefully between that helps Alvin sell him on coming to the Canucks this year.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love to get AM signed, but the risk is too high (he won’t sign) than the reward. What incentive does he have to sign with us in May when he can wait until August and be a UFA? 

How do you know that? You or I don't nothing about it, so why worry and make moves out of fear? 

If there's inside info that he's decided not to sign here, fine. Trade his rights, but otherwise, unless you 

know something most of us don't, what's the point of making speculative decisions based off fear of loss? 

Ah yes it wouldn’t be another season if Canucks fans weren’t hand wringing about a college prospect not signing with us. :lol:

Even though every one of our college prospects have been signed. No reason to believe he won’t sign with us. He’s said that’s his plan all along. We even have his childhood friend in the organization to help convince him.

Even if we did wanna trade him to avoid that possibility why would another team value him when he could just walk on them too?

Edited by DeNiro

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ah yes it wouldn’t be another season if Canucks fans weren’t hand wringing about a college prospect not signing with us. :lol:

Even though every one of our college prospects have been signed. No reason to believe he won’t sign with us. He’s said that’s his plan all along. We even have his childhood friend in the organization to help convince him.

Even if we did wanna trade him to avoid that possibility why would another team value him when he could just walk on them too?

I'd trade him because they need to use their excess of wingers to help shore up other spots.

Just now, stawns said:

I'd trade him because they need to use their excess of wingers to help shore up other spots.

But why would another team give up value for a player that could walk as a free agent?

If you wanna actually get value for him you sign him to his ELC and develop him.

Selling dirt cheap on a prospect after developing them for 4 years is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Aidan McDonough gave us his word he would sign here.  From all accounts, he is a man of his word.  There is no reason to suspect he won't sign here.  No reason at all.  Only speculation on CDC.  I put his chances of signing with us at 100%.  IMO, it's already a done deal.

He will be playing in Abby with his BFF within 2 months after he gets a few games with the big club and burns the first year of his ELC...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Thoughts on the chance of McDonough actually singing with the Canucks? I'd put it at about 35%. Man I hope he does though, this prospect pool has nothing to spare..

Why do you only put it at 35% Shayster?

Has anything happened or has he said anything towards not wanting to sign here?

Just curious if I have missed something?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Aidan McDonough gave us his word he would sign here.  From all accounts, he is a man of his word.  There is no reason to suspect he won't sign here.  No reason at all.  Only speculation on CDC.  I put his chances of signing with us at 100%.  IMO, it's already a done deal.

He will be playing in Abby with his BFF within 2 months after he gets a few games with the big club and burns the first year of his ELC...

Doesn’t his age make his ELC two years regardless of whether he signs early and plays with us or waits until August and signs elsewhere though? If he signs with us, that’s great. But I’m not seeing any incentive for him to not wait until August and become a UFA. Not too sure of his value. Maybe, because of concern he’s heading to free agency, it’s nothing? 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Aidan McDonough is 23 years old.  This means that he can become a Group 6 UFA if he plays 3 pro seasons under contract by age 25.  If he signs with the Canucks and plays a minimum of one pro game this year, then this year would count as a pro season.  So, he would be eligible to become a UFA after two more seasons of playing pro hockey as long as he plays less than 80 full games in the NHL.  He would be a Group 6 UFA at age 25.  If he waits until August to sign with an NHL team, then he would have to play 3 full years before he becomes a UFA, so he would be 26.

The incentive is the burning of the 1st year of his ELC, which would happen after playing in only 1 pro game this year.  His ELC would be for 2 years which includes this year, and then he would only need one more year before he is UFA...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I kinda agree with Stawns that if he doesn't sign then they have to package him. Hard to say what value is there in the market place, likely not a lot but might help close a bigger deal. If he stands by his word then he is the type of kid that we should be happy to give an opportunity to. He should see opportunity with Vancouver as the org is obviously rebuilding. He should see the value there. Hopefully Boeser is traded by then which should help even more. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Why do you only put it at 35% Shayster?

Has anything happened or has he said anything towards not wanting to sign here?

Just curious if I have missed something?

Nothing has changed. As far as I know, his last indication of he planned to sign. I just don't have a ton of faith saying this orginization right now. If you had the chance to go anywhere, would you choose the Canucks after all the drama this year? Also not sure how often a player makes it to the FA cutoff as a college player and still signs with their drafting team.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Aidan McDonough is 23 years old.  This means that he can become a Group 6 UFA if he plays 3 pro seasons under contract by age 25.  If he signs with the Canucks and plays a minimum of one pro game this year, then this year would count as a pro season.  So, he would be eligible to become a UFA after two more seasons of playing pro hockey as long as he plays less than 80 full games in the NHL.  He would be a Group 6 UFA at age 25.  If he waits until August to sign with an NHL team, then he would have to play 3 full years before he becomes a UFA, so he would be 26.

The incentive is the burning of the 1st year of his ELC, which would happen after playing in only 1 pro game this year.  His ELC would be for 2 years which includes this year, and then he would only need one more year before he is UFA...

Yup. And with his November birthday, his signing age will still be 23, regardless of whether he signs a 2022-23 effective contract with the Canucks, or goes the free agency route and starts his pro career with a 2023-24 effective contract. 

(If he were born before September 15th, he could wait until he’s signing age 24, and get a one year ELC, but that option isn’t available to him. It’s going to be a two year deal, whether starting this season with Vancouver, or next season with another team.)

Choosing to sign with Vancouver basically lets him skip a year, accelerating his path to UFA status, and it also gets him off his ELC (and NHL/AHL salary limitations) a year quicker. It’s a significant financial incentive.

And he still gets to collect his full signing bonus payment, even if he only plays a single game at the end of the 2022-23 season.

• Cheers 4