The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

This deal is a decent bit better than I was expecting based on all the noise (5x6 vs. 7x6.5). Overall I still would not sign this contract though. I still see it as an unnecessary overpayment for someone that won't make us significantly better and has a very good chance of deteriorating fast. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

I’ve heard from people close to the situation that this was going to happen for a couple months. I would be shocked if Myers wasn’t here but anything can happen. If we get him around 6 million I think it’s a great deal. You definitely need big defensemen that are responsible. If you asked me before the playoffs how Jay Bouwmeester was I would say probably washed up but after watching them win the cup I think Jay is playing an integeral role for that team.  We need guys like that badly because we are going no where with guys like Pouliot and Hutton. 

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pouliot out - Myers in.   Big upgrade.

Hutton out - Benn in. Minor upgrade.

Looks good so far. Hopefully we see a trade in there somewhere.

Roster's finally starting to look pretty solid.  Decent balance of speed, skill, size, and grit throughout now.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Pearson

Leivo Sutter Virtanen

Motte Beagle Gaudette

(Roussel, Eriksson)

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher

(Juolevi)

Quite decently filled out, injuries notwithstanding.  Definitely possibilities for trades if opportunities to upgrade come up.  Do whatever it takes to turf Eriksson, clean up others like Granlund and Goldobin, and hopefully we see some development from the AHL prospects over the summer as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Is ~30 points/year considered “putting up points” now? 

He's no offensive power house but he's no slouch like Tanev offensively.

30 pts would be good for him. Hughes will be picking up the pts ^_^

I’m not going to do a backflip off my house while simultaneously shooting Roman candles into a tremendous dismount until I hear it from multiple sources. If this is the truth it’s a huge relief. It’s sad that a 5x6 Myers deal is a huge relief but here we are. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:43 PM, theo5789 said:

Didn't realize the Vancouver (Kelowna) connection Myers has. Hopefully that means he takes a more team friendly deal. I'd give him a full NTC on a 5 or 6 year deal at 6 million a season.

Would be nice to get something relatively right once in a while! 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Most from there tell me Montreal's a pretty decent place to live overall.  At least compared to other places out east.

I haven't been there in over 30 years, but I remember it being pretty, but that's about it.  Unless you're French though, I'd imagine it loses it's charm rather fast.  If I were a player, I'd have Montreal on top of my modified-NTC list of teams.

Just looking on Pro hockey Rumours Eliot Friedman saying Meyers and Jordie Benn should be signing with Vancouver.

TSN Sports centre now saying Meyers 5yr x 30 million with Vancouver...I will believe this tomorrow morning..

If true lot better deal then I thought it was going to be...  

Like Benn as well...

Rumour Schenn will sign with Tampa

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I haven't been there in over 30 years, but I remember it being pretty, but that's about it.  Unless you're French though, I'd imagine it loses it's charm rather fast.  If I were a player, I'd have Montreal on top of my modified-NTC list of teams.

Montreal's pretty well known for it's nightlife though.  Lots of worse places to live if you're young and rich.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Montreal's pretty well known for it's nightlife though.  Lots of worse places to live if you're young and rich.

I'll have to take your word for it.  I was around 12 y.o. or so when I was there.  Checking out the nightlife wasn't as important back then as was figuring out why I was growing hair in strange places.  :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

That's not a bad deal at all. That's pretty damn good value for a UFA signing.

I think people need to remember that he made 5.5 million in his last contract, so to only have a 500k raise in the UFA market is pretty amazing. And not needing to give max term either. Only thing left to hope for is no NMC or at least allowing himself to be exposed in the expansion. We may protect him anyway, but better to have the options open rather than tied down.

• Cheers 3

Considering he's coming off of a contract what $250K shy of six million and he took less than expected reported on an okay term (5 seasons).  It's an okay addition.  If he stays healthy it could become an above average addition.  We'll see.  Benn is an okay depth piece as well, so it's about as good as you can hope for.  Here's hoping Juolevi finally shows that he can stay healthy and make the roster.  I'm pretty sure this ends Ben Hutton's time officially.  Regardless, of "what was said about" remaining in contact with his agent.  He'll likely go elsewhere for a one or two year deal.  As, I lived in Rochester I've seen enough of Myers to know that it took him until his 26th-27th birthday to finally become a competent defensemen.  A lot of that is on the coaching carousel in Buffalo as well as the inability to assess that he needed to be sheltered much more.  Myers, was Ristolainen before all of this.   He played high minutes as the #1 D, yet truly was our 3rd best defensemen.

• Thanks 2

I still wish we got a guy who could score better from the back end.  If Edler plays like last year that helps a lot and if Hughes does what we expect that will be huge - but I still don't think we have enough scoring from back there.  Tanev ain't gonna do it and as much as I like Stecher I dont see him getting much over 20-25 points. If Juolevi makes the team and is productive, maybe then we might have enough but otherwise I'm interested to see what the backup plan is for 3ld.

...but if we are gonna sign Myers, 5x6 is about as good as I could have hoped for. Term is a little longer than I would like but WAY better than 7 years.  Price is best we could have expected. Decent deal given the inflated UFA market and it will be fun to see his size back there. 

Not sure if it was mentioned but TSN is reporting this as well.

Edited by kloubek

58 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

40pt season minimum expected from him this upcoming season, closer to 50 actually. Should be obtainable, going to get tons of ice time

He has 36 and 31 points in his last couple of seasons on a much better offense team than ours. I get that he will get more minutes, but how does that equate to closer to 50 points?

Let's keep expectations in check here. I'll be estatic with 35 points and some solid defending. Pretty much an Edler on the right side. I don't even think he's going to be as good as Edler, but he should be effective in a balanced defense group.

• Cheers 1