The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Colorado trades Soderberg to Arizona

49 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I like how you list all of the Av's top players/prospects and then compare it to Sutter, Hutton, Schenn, Eriksson, etc. Maybe list our young talent instead.

Plus, people always forget that a lot of other teams have missed the playoffs for a much longer span of time. With the Canucks not drafting well (previous to Benning) the team was due for some down years while it restocked. For example, Avs were in the playoffs every year until 2007 and since then have made the playoffs 4 times in 13 seasons...they better have some good prospects in the cupboard.

The Canucks in the same span made the playoffs 7 times with the last 4 years being misses (i.e. they are re-building)...the team is adding players and Benning has established a great young core so I find it funny to see how agro people are when it comes to JB. He has made mistakes but he has also done a tonne of great things.

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I like how you list all of the Av's top players/prospects and then compare it to Sutter, Hutton, Schenn, Eriksson, etc. Maybe list our young talent instead.

The Avs are a deep playoff team with great prospects not even on the team yet. They are set up very well for current and future success. The Canucks have been a bottom feeder for several years now and finally have their prospects in place developing. It'll be a few years before the Canucks are a good playoff team like the Avs. The current state of the Canucks isn't that good though. They've got a handful of bottom 6 veteran players with little value they need to try and move, but this will be very difficult for Benning. COL doesn't have this problem. 

3 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Who knows if this will pan out though...young centers could struggle and it could impact Colorado next year. Still need vets.

Whether it works or not, we will see, but they got a good 5 or so years out of Soderberg to take on some hard minutes and now giving the young guys more opportunities (concurrently as the top offensive guys are going to get paid soon).

This plan looks awfully familiar and yet Sakic is a shrewd GM and Benning is a dud. Interesting.

41 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

Can we trade Benning and Weisbrod to Colorado for Sakic...Hell, I'd even throw in a conditional 2022 1st round pick and maybe a third rounder

Whining on every thread I see........

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me wonder what Benning has up his sleeves to compete with Sakic and the other western GMs making big moves to improve. The Avs are setting up to build a dynasty.

Landeskog - Horvat

Rantanen - Boeser

McKinnon - Pettersson

Jost - Gaudette

Newhook - Podkolzin

Kaut - Hogslander

Barrie - doesn't matter, he's leaving the Avs

Byram - Juolevi (I still have faith in him)

Makar - Hughes

Helleson - Woo

etc. Ridiculous. 

I'm just impatient when I see other GMs making moves. Meanwhile, we're all waiting to see what Hutton and Schenn do, like it matters. I beleive Benning will sign 1-2 UFA Dmen, but I'm not very confident he'll be able to trade away Sutter, Eriksson and others that need to go. He'll spin it like: "We want good competition at camp for the young guys. Roster spots will need to be earned, blah blah".  

Was curious how the Canucks match up.  Ridiculousness achieved.

I also like that the Canucks have Demko and Dipietro as high ranked prospects in goal as well.

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Whether it works or not, we will see, but they got a good 5 or so years out of Soderberg to take on some hard minutes and now giving the young guys more opportunities (concurrently as the top offensive guys are going to get paid soon).

This plan looks awfully familiar and yet Sakic is a shrewd GM and Benning is a dud. Interesting.

I guess I don't necessarily agree with those versions of Sakic/Benning. It wasn't too long ago that the Avs seemed like a tire fire under Sakic and Roy. I would say about two years ago, Sakic started getting his feet under him (he has been in the job one year longer than Benning). I think it has more to do with the core a GM assembles...starting next year, Benning will look better and better as the core he drafted takes over the team...much like what happened when MacKinnon stepped up his game two years ago. 

https://milehighsticking.com/2017/10/01/colorado-avalanche-joe-sakic-developing-good-gm/

Edit: That comment might be sarcastic so my mistake if that is the case.

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me wonder what Benning has up his sleeves to compete with Sakic and the other western GMs making big moves to improve. The Avs are setting up to build a dynasty.

Landeskog

Rantanen

McKinnon

Jost

Newhook

Kaut

Barrie

Byram

Makar

Helleson

etc. Ridiculous. 

I'm just impatient when I see other GMs making moves. Meanwhile, we're all waiting to see what Hutton and Schenn do, like it matters. I beleive Benning will sign 1-2 UFA Dmen, but I'm not very confident he'll be able to trade away Sutter, Eriksson and others that need to go. He'll spin it like: "We want good competition at camp for the young guys. Roster spots will need to be earned, blah blah".  

Yeah but look at their picks. Yes they built it through the draft but were generally all high picks. Avalanche were bad for a very long time. Only the Oilers have been worse.

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I wish JB would do something like this. Ship out Sutter to give Gaudette a bigger role as the 3rd line C. I think Gaudette breaks out next season. 

Maybe he is. It would be the right plan. Beagle and Horvat provide enough veteran leadership that Balls can be traded. Although who's in the market?

54 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I guess I don't necessarily agree with those versions of Sakic/Benning. It wasn't too long ago that the Avs seemed like a tire fire under Sakic and Roy. I would say about two years ago, Sakic started getting his feet under him (he has been in the job one year longer than Benning). I think it has more to do with the core a GM assembles...starting next year, Benning will look better and better as the core he drafted takes over the team...much like what happened when MacKinnon stepped up his game two years ago. 

https://milehighsticking.com/2017/10/01/colorado-avalanche-joe-sakic-developing-good-gm/

Edit: That comment might be sarcastic so my mistake if that is the case.

Sakic joined the team further into their rebuild while Benning joined right at the start of it. There's going to be that time lag for a rebuilding squad. The comment I made was meant for those who continually call Sakic a shrewd GM or whatever and given this example here where they used a vet to take on the hard minutes before letting the younger guys take over seems very familiar to the trajectory and development plan we have in place as well. Yet Benning is continuously harped on by some here. Colorado luckily had some top end picks like MacKinnon and Landeskog in which we never had the luxury of.

But yes, I agree that the team is only going to get better and better and hopefully Benning gets to see it through rather than another GM inheriting the work Benning has done.

They lose a 49 point guy that was on his last year for 4.75M and they get spare parts from the junkyard in return. 

I can’t see how this was done for them to create space to land a Panarin. Soderberg was a good deal of a contract.  If they wanted to go for it next year, this was not the player to let go.