The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Colin Miller to Sabres for 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 5th-round pick

Selling within your division is risky business as its improving a team you’re directly competing with for the playoffs.  This isn’t just a trade - it’s selling a serviceable NHL’er for futures.  Making your team weaker short term and theirs stronger.  

To amplify that, giving an RHD to the Canucks is going to benefit them more than any other position... and benefit them than most teams. So you’re not only making competition better, you’re lowering the return on the picks you’ve picked up more so than a team with decent RHD depth.  

I dunno - too bad JB couldn’t nab this Miller as well, but the cost would have certainly been higher.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Miller is a decent 3/4 or 5 guy and not great defensively but is a solid NHL Dman.   Can get points too.   Think of him as a slightly pricey Stecher.    The deal is not bad for Buffalo but not a deal that would likely have happened for a Western Conference team.   

The fact that a 3/4 or 5 Dman going east created 11 pages on CDC sets some kind of record.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Miller is a decent 3/4 or 5 guy and not great defensively but is a solid NHL Dman.   Can get points too.   Think of him as a slightly pricey Stecher.    The deal is not bad for Buffalo but not a deal that would likely have happened for a Western Conference team.   

The fact that a 3/4 or 5 Dman going east created 11 pages on CDC sets some kind of record.   

Not a record I'm proud to part of but understandable because of the angst surrounding a possible announcement Monday morning that will involve a 3/4/5 Dman that will cost a lot more  and cause a bigger ripple effect than what might have been fetched for what may have been slightly north of second and fifth round picks. Excuse the run on sentence.

3 hours ago, brian42 said:

Definitely could be true hard to say but you’d think Vegas would make the deal if we slightly out bid Buffalo. 

No, remember we didn’t want to trade Schneider to Edmonton for a much better offer than we got from NJ? Why? Because  Most teams don’t like improving teams in their own division let alone conference. Add in this is a cap dump, that they KNOW they’re getting the short end on, why would they want to improve a team they’re  competing with to make the playoffs?

Unless the offer is great value inside your division, you don’t do it. And clearly everyone knew this was a cap dump so they’re not getting full value offers back. 

They were probably asking for OJ or Guadette and a pick from us.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

54 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd rather have 2 solid young middle 6'ers than one high end forward.

@CaptainLinden16 What has you confused?  The Sabres already have a high performing, very expensive, top line.  What they don't have is quality depth.  Getting one high end forward and sticking him on the 2nd line would be a waste.  Getting a couple solid middle 6'ers would give the Sabres secondary scoring and make them more than the one line team that they currently are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We have those! :lol:

Unfortunately not that the Canucks can afford to part with.  :(

The spare parts that people want to throw the Sabres' way won't cut it either.  That's why I made sure to add "solid" and "young".

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

@CaptainLinden16 What has you confused?  The Sabres already have a high performing, very expensive, top line.  What they don't have is quality depth.  Getting one high end forward and sticking him on the 2nd line would be a waste.  Getting a couple solid middle 6'ers would give the Sabres secondary scoring and make them more than the one line team that they currently are.

In all situations you take the best player.  Always... The Sabres traded away O'Reilly for solid middle sixers.  If you have 3 great forwards and add a 4th now you have two great forwards on two lines.  Now you have depth.  You need difference makers and play drivers.  12 Chris Higgins, bless their hearts, aren't winning any championships.

Unfortunately not that the Canucks can afford to part with.  :(

The spare parts that people want to throw the Sabres' way won't cut it either.  That's why I made sure to add "solid" and "young".

Which of our middle 6 guys do you think would get it done?

I mean Tanner Pearson and Antione Rousell are solid middle sixers you want both of them for Risto or Reinhart?  Or Gaudette and Baertschi?  I am fairly certain that would be an easy no on both, so you are not really looking for middle sixers. 

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

In all situations you take the best player.  Always...  If you have 3 great forwards and add a 4th now you have two great forwards on two lines.  Now you have depth. 

That's only true when you're close to being a playoff team.  The Sabres are closer to the basement than the playoffs.

The Sabres traded away O'Reilly for solid middle sixers.

No they didn't.  One left 20 games into the season after playing lousy and the other played horribly all season long.

You need difference makers and play drivers.  12 Chris Higgins, bless their hearts, aren't winning any championships.

The Sabres aren't a team with 12 Higgins'.  They're a team with a stud top line and a 2nd line that's 3rd line quality, and a 3rd line that's 4th line quality, and a 4th line that should be in the AHL.

I'd like Botterill to put together a solid 2nd line so he can move the other 2 lines down to where they should be.

I guess he can be claimed now in the Seattle expansion draft in two years. Vegas was exempted for the ED because they weren’t going to take a piece of the 650 million dollars for the expansion fee. But now that he’s in Buffalo, could be a target for Seattle. 

Miller was definitely one D man I was hoping for but we don’t have what Vegas would want dealing within the division. On to the next one.

Edited by EP Phone Home

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I mean Tanner Pearson and Antione Rousell are solid middle sixers you want both of them for Risto or Reinhart?  Or Gaudette and Baertschi?  I am fairly certain that would be an easy no on both, so you are not really looking for middle sixers. 

If you want to play the cherry picking game from the entirety of the 31 team NHL roster, we can do that.  I can choose middle 6ers that would be worth more than Risto.

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I guess he can be claimed now in the Seattle expansion draft in two years. Vegas was exempted for the ED because they weren’t going to take a piece of the cut up share of 650 million dollars for the expansion fee. But now that he’s in Buffalo, could be a target for Seattle. 

Miller was definitely one D man I was hoping for but we don’t have what Vegas would want dealing within the division. On to the next one.

That all depends on if the Sabres decide to exempt him.

• Cheers 1