The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Colin Miller to Sabres for 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 5th-round pick

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Vancouver shot for Subban and backed off due to the cap hit.  

They then addressed our top 6 which is also a big hole.  JT Miller is a nuck, FA is just around the corner.  Myers, Gardiner and Stralhman are available and acquiring 1 or 2 FA d men is likely the team priority as they dont cost assets.  

I dont think JB is giving up anymore draft picks.  

Probably one of Myers\Gardnier and then maybe Nemeth

I would prefer Gardnier and Nemeth

19 hours ago, oldnews said:

you're kidding right.

this is the 'reports from the draft floor' you were talking about - somebody on 1040 or SN 650 asked and someone on one of those shows pretended to know the extent of all draft floor discussions?  

sounds legit. 

regardless - none of that has a whiff to do with Miller's value.

Well no. I am no hockey expert which is why I trust the reports from Hockey experts with insider information to formulate my opinion.

Also you have this 

While it didn't say Vancouver was a loser made Tampa as a big winner by trading away JT Miller and got value out of it. It almost seems like this was not expected and they expected Tampa to lose out like other teams with cap problems.

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well no. I am no hockey expert which is why I trust the reports from Hockey experts with insider information to formulate my opinion.

weak - some dude you can't name on a radio talk show you can't recall doesn't make it "hockey expert information" - I think you probably realize that - no random appeal to authority qualifies your story.

38 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Also you have this 

While it didn't say Vancouver was a loser made Tampa as a big winner by trading away JT Miller and got value out of it. It almost seems like this was not expected and they expected Tampa to lose out like other teams with cap problems.

Wow those guys are clueless.

They thought Tampa would pay a 1st round pick to dump Miller. Seriously?

They had many options to get out of cap trouble including trading Johnson, Gourde, Killorn or Palat. They weren’t backed into a corner like so many of these parroting media are claiming.

If it came down to paying to dump a player with a pick attached it probably would have been Killorn. And it wouldn’t have been a 1st.

They also claimed that Myers would be getting 8 million...

Edited by DeNiro

On 6/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, Alflives said:

Myers is a 200 foot player.  Miller isn’t nearly as effective.  Miller is a third pair guy.

Miller in a Canuck uniform would be a whipping boy on the same magnitude as Pooalot. 

But in this thread, he’s the missing piece to a Stanley Cup run.

The agonizing over Jimbo’s huge failure to outbid Buffalo, but just by a little bit - mind you, is just other worldly. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Miller in a Canuck uniform would be a whipping boy on the same magnitude as Pooalot. 

But in this thread, he’s the missing piece to a Stanley Cup run.

The agonizing over Jimbo’s huge failure to outbid Buffalo, but just by a little bit - mind you, is just other worldly. :rolleyes:

Miller will be minus 40 in Buffalo if they play him in their top four.  

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Also you have this 

Yeah, Tampa got rid of that useless cap dump scrub and got a sucker to pay them for it, according to the...

image.png.35dffb6936c667d03c0bdbc15d14442f.png

If you'd like to work down the road of knowledge and understanding, it begins with turning off TSN, SN, and most of their gaggle of guest (paid) "experts".  Here's a helpful starter tip:  when it comes to them talking about the Canucks, take the opposite viewpoint and you'll be closer to reality almost all of the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

So who's word are we supposed to take?  The homers from CDC?  K

Definitely not a good idea either.

But it’s obvious those guys didn’t do their homework regarding Tampa. They were not in the cap nightmare that they were acting like they were.

They had all summer to figure out a trade and sign Point. They could have gotten different deals done and still got value back.

Benning wasn’t messing around though. He saw a player he liked and made an aggressive offer. Good on him. Better than waiting around for another teams unwanted player in order to get a draft pick.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why didn't they wait around for a better deal then?  They took that deal and ran with it.  Like you said, they had all summer

Probably cause Miller was their most marketable player And the only one that could command a high pick.

Better to get a deal done early than wait around all summer and take whatever’s left.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why didn't they wait around for a better deal then?  They took that deal and ran with it.  Like you said, they had all summer

Other offers were on the table. If they preferred him to others it makes sense why they’d move on it. 

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

That's exactly the point.  Tampa didn't need to wait around because we offered them a killer deal right off the bat.  They knew they wouldn't get a better deal than that

The point is that we complain when a trade is made and we complain when a trade isn’t made. There’s an abundance of things to complain about for the average armchair quarterback.

If you think that Canucks overpaid for Miller than I’m happy with that, because you seem to know so much compared to the average fanboy. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Fair price based on what though? Are there even reports saying what other teams offered? 

Would you rather trade Kole Lind for Erik Haula or a 1st and 3rd for Miller?  Where are your comparables to prove this was a fair deal?  

Based on a history of trades for 26/27 year olds with that level of production that’s a fair price.

Kole Lind for Haula isn’t realistic, but no I wouldn’t do that trade. Haula is not the same level of player Miller is and only has a year left on his contract. Not comparable.

You can hate on the trade all you want. Not gonna change my opinion of it. It was a good move to help solidify our top 6. Boes and Petey should benefit from it quite a bit.

52 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Fair price based on what though? Are there even reports saying what other teams offered? 

Would you rather trade Kole Lind for Erik Haula or a 1st and 3rd for Miller?  Where are your comparables to prove this was a fair deal?  

Haula played 15 games last year with an undisclosed knee injury with little update. Before the injury, he was on pace for 38 points and although many things could've changed had he played a full year, another player that had a career last year had a significant dip in production in Karlsson, so it wouldn't shock me if his production may not have been as high as the season when the team overachieved. Add the fact that he's signed for one more year and who knows if he'll even be healthy to start the season, it's a lot of unknown to give up a solid prospect for. Haula also doesn't play the game that we are looking for to suit the top 6, whereas Miller adds some grit that we've been lacking in our top 6 and a guy that will won battles for the puck and find the skilled guys which is what Miller did with Tampa.

So definitely would give the supposed mid-late 1st and a 3rd for a Miller who's signed to a good contract for 4 more years right through his prime years and provides a lacking element to this team. Hopefully his play actually rubs off on Virtanen as well.

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Haula scores 30 goals his last full season, he was traded for Nicolas Roy.  One year left at 2.9

Did that shooting just under 17%, which was a considerable outlier from his career norm. In this last season (injuries aside) he was back to his career norm of a 30something point pace. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Haula scores 30 goals his last full season, he was traded for Nicolas Roy.  One year left at 2.9

Nobody is disputing that Miller is a good player and will help our team.  It was the price we payed to a team that needs to shed salary.  Teams are dumping players for next to nothing left right and center, we are jumping the gun and overpaying because we are desperate for help.  Key word here: Desperate

I like Miller on this team for 4 years, I love it actually, but I also love young players on ELCs and 10-15 years of potential 

One year left vs four years left, again not comparable. When there’s term left on a good contract that’s worth more value. 

Thats why we saw a higher price tag. It seems like you think Benning just paid their first asking price when in fact they negotiated this deal over months.

Of course it stings to lose a first, but let’s wait and see what the pick is before we start talking about 10-15 year potential players. The player could just as well play less than 300 games.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Nobody is disputing that Miller is a good player and will help our team.  It was the price we payed to a team that needs to shed salary.  Teams are dumping players for next to nothing left right and center, we are jumping the gun and overpaying because we are desperate for help.  Key word here: Desperate

I like Miller on this team for 4 years, I love it actually, but I also love young players on ELCs and 10-15 years of potential 

And Kole Lind doesn't have this potential? He was an early 2nd. Still an ELC and developing. A mid-late 1st doesn't guarantee a much better player anyway. At least we should hopefully get a solid 4 years out of Miller to go along with our current batch of young kids and maybe give them an opportunity to try for the next level. IMO, Haula doesn't provide what we've been lacking in the top 6 and he could be gone in a year for a prospect as suggested that could still be of decent value.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

JB is doing his job as a GM. He is trying to make this team better. Some people are unable to understand that so they make up some silly narratives. 

That's why our D is still dreadful right? He has not gone out and made an impactful trade to acquire a reliable D capable of playing in the top 4. I guess you will be happy when he overpays for an overhyped Tyler Myers?

We were better off trading for Subban, Miller, Ristolainen or sign a different D to fill in as a top 4 than overpaying Myers who will NOT be worth his contract

• Haha 1