The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Fair Criticism of Jim Benning

Rate this topic

18W-40C-6W

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Des laurier is not that great dude. Lol

I like how you keep closing with Lots Of Love.  It shows we all love our team a lot, but just have different views on how to get better.  Maybe we should all adopt you salutation? 

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I will start by saying I am a JB fan. I am sure this thread will attract a lot of the JB haters but amongst those of us who appreciate what he’s done for the franchise given what he started with, I do think we need to address a major issue / weakness of his -signing and trading.

JB came in, had no prospects, had a team with the Twins that the powers that be felt were owed a chance to keep trying to win a cup, irrespective of their lineup. This was

a set of handcuffs for Jim and we don’t know if it was ownership, him, or just simply that you can’t trade the twins and loyalty means something still. Regardless of the reason, not the point of this thread, it made the rebuild harder. 

Once he he started to restock, he knew he had to bring in some younger but not rookie players to help avoid edmontonitis. He brought in players like Baer, Granlund, Sutter, etc. Some worked some didn’t but the strategy to insulate what little talent we had has actually worked. Now that some of our young players are getting up to speed, the gap fillers are becoming expendable. This is a good sign. 

He has done a marvellous job drafting and has put together one of the best young prospect pools in the game. As a Canuck fan for 30 years, this young group is the best I’ve ever seen. He deserves credit for this, especially given what he started with and his constraints when he came in. 

Now where I think JB really hasn’t done well and where we could use some senior oversight (maybe a Brian Burke) is with signings and trades. Why I bring this up, given the recent buyout, talk of ridding Erickson, I started to think of his track record here. It really is weak. It’s not killing us, but it hasn’t helped us, and maybe marginally hurt us.

You simply have to look at his history of jettisoning players he’s traded for, or buying them out, it’s not good. I know you’ll never hit on all your moves, but his % is not good in this area. I am sure to miss a few, and I’m sure I’ll invite the JB haters to have a hey day here but that’s not the intent, it’s to have people share their thoughts on this issue - those who are objective that is.

sub par trades and signings (again may miss some)

Oy Vey! 

Erickson 

Gudbranson (the pick is the bigger issue )

Spooner (Although I guess that’s a dead weight trade for Gagner)

Gagner

Schaller

Forsling (not that he’s great but still better than Clandenning)

Prust (had to move Kassian but throwing in a pick?) 

now here’s a good article that is balanced on the issue and shows most of his deals. 

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/06/16/canucks-jim-benning-trade-history/

While the article says he hasn’t really hurt the team, losing picks has and more importantly he hasn’t made deals other than Baer that made any major difference. 

When trading the purpose is to improve the team, same with signings. What JB has shown is this is not an area of strength and we really should have someone else making those deals imho. 

Alternatively, maybe it’s as simple as a pro scouting issue and whomever is doing that job, needs to be replaced. We’re simply not getting value in our trades and signings  to warrant many of the moves it seems. 

Thoughts?

I'd say your comments are just about "bang-on".   Good post!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like how you keep closing with Lots Of Love.  It shows we all love our team a lot, but just have different views on how to get better.  Maybe we should all adopt you salutation? 

Lol Seriously though. If deslaurier can get a 4th, Benning is doing it all wrong for sure.

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol Seriously though. If deslaurier can get a 4th, Benning is doing it all wrong for sure.

LOL :wub: to you too.  I’ve never heard of deslaurier.  Who do we have that’s the same level?  Goldy?  Baer?  

He is probably like Schaller or gaunce at best. And we already let gaunce walk for nothing. 

I hope Gaunce gets a chance with another club.  Good kid.

Schaller is meh.  I say he’s in Utica.

Almost forgot. LOL 

Edited by Alflives

3 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Seriously?....Is that all you have?....Benning is doing all wrong because I know better.....Benning is dumb....I mean like seriously is that the only tool you have in your tool box?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I remember JB saying it was a very difficult call to make, when he phoned Aquilini to let him know Gagner was getting sent to the minors.  At the time I heard that comment I was thinking JB shouldn’t worry about what Aquilini was thinking.  JB is the hockey expert, and the owner should keep his nose out of hockey opps.  I think Aquilini is way too involved in hockey opps here.

Yes, well said.   Aqau-lini has messed this team up for years by sticking his nose in.  I've been praying for years he'd be forced to sell the team so we could get real owners interested in a winner not just a tax write off against real estate and now that the  Canada’s tax court has upheld a 2007 tax assessment this past week against the Aquilini family because the Aquilini brothers filed net income from AIGLP of about $51,000 each and their mother’s estate of $176,000 in 2007, and were reassessed by Revenue Canada to taxable income of about $11.5 million for each brother and $4.3 million for the mother’s estate, according to the judgment.  Now they owe millions + with his recent failed marriage and divorce his wife took a fortune from him so he is now a financial pickle.   Hopefully this finally forces him to sell.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Seriously?....Is that all you have?....Benning is doing all wrong because I know better.....Benning is dumb....I mean like seriously is that the only tool you have in your tool box?

Hey, I am not the one making the self explanatory poor moves. With bennings help I don’t have to do anything except point out people making much better moves than he is. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Hey, I am not the one making the self explanatory poor moves. With bennings help I don’t have to do anything except point out people making much better moves than he is. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Time to clean your glasses as your view is obscured.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Name 5 GMs....that you think are better

Edited by RowdyCanuck

20 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

He is probably like Schaller or gaunce at best. And we already let gaunce walk for nothing. 

Brendan Gaunce? You think Benning could have got something for the guy who went 94 straight games without scoring and cleared waivers without being claimed? That's a laugh.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol! Yes JBs fault because he can’t get anything for our junk? Smh teams have to want it enough to trade for it guy.

”letting gaunce walk for nothing” - a guy who can’t skate, is big but won’t hit, and can’t score at even a ppg pace in the AHL. It seems JB would need someone with even lower hockey knowledge than yourself as a GM to be able to trade him. 

Your “schtick” is getting old guy, what’s your id on hockey forums? 

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Lol! Yes JBs fault because he can’t get anything for our junk? Smh teams have to want it enough to trade for it guy.

”letting gaunce walk for nothing” - a guy who can’t skate, is big but won’t hit, and can’t score at even a ppg pace in the AHL. It seems JB would need someone with even lower hockey knowledge than yourself as a GM to be able to trade him. 

Your “schtick” is getting old guy, what’s your id on hockey forums? 

I used gaunce as an example equivalent for the deslaurier trade. I didn’t say it was easy but it obviously could be done.

Dim Jim couldn’t even trade Hamhuis. In fact, the only thing he can trade are high 2nd round  picks and even getting into 1st’s now. Don’t shoot messenger. Dim jim’s Lack of trading ability is in full view for everyone to see. 

I used gaunce as an example equivalent for the deslaurier trade. I didn’t say it was easy but it obviously could be done.

Dim Jim couldn’t even trade Hamhuis. In fact, the only thing he can trade are high 2nd round  picks and even getting into 1st’s now. Don’t shoot messenger. Dim jim’s Lack of trading ability is in full view for everyone to see. 

Hammer trade fell threw cause of Dallas if the rumors are true.....no body wants our junk plain and simple so get off it....

Gaunce was a waste of a first round pick and hammer was free.....trading takes two people something you seem to forget...this isn't EA sports 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm OK with the player. I'm less OK with the fact that we're going to give him too much money and, more importantly, way too much term. And with the other bad contracts still on the team, as well as the Luongo recapture, there won't be much more opportunity to improve the team. I still think there's a good chance we squeak into the playoffs, but upgrading a poor offense to a mediocre offense and a poor defense to a mediocre defense doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence. I do think we have to get better, but at the end of the day, I doubt we'll have done enough to do any more than possibly sneak in and get ousted in the first round.

The actual "at the end of the day" is that if this is what ownership wants then (maybe) they get at least two to three playoff games in Vancouver, with the associated revenues.

There are enough fans (fair-weather and die-hard) who will be content with this and show continued support for the Canucks. Those who dislike this approach, at the end of the day, can choose if they want to continue to support the team, or to go to the garden and eat worms.

regards,  G.