The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Fair Criticism of Jim Benning

Rate this topic

18W-40C-6W

43 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

He definitely gets more credit than he deserves for his drafting. When you pick that low for 5 years straight, there is a rather large safety net there whether the Benning supporters care to admit it or not. 

It’s just basic math. First dibs is a powerful thing.

Absolutely and that something he hasn’t had the privilege to do yet, some years like the last two not even close.  That’s why you need to delve deeper and look at the ADP (average draft position) and rank the actual prospects in each team.  The past four drafts not including this one, Benning ADP was 7, yet we have the third best group of 21 and unders.  That’s a modest - good plus four.  Most GMs went up or down a few spots with the exception of EDM who ranks DFL under this system, and TB who ranks first.   Overall Benning is in the top third of the league, nothing to complain about unless you like complaining.  Also he’s slipped 7 spots during that span for his first picks under the new system, not that that seems to affect things much, heck somehow he did it again with Podz at ten.   Fire away ....

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Jim Benning’s Hand in the draft is as Fraudulent as his jet black hair. 

Do you watch the drafts?  Or the videos they share after? He’s pretty involved.  Sure he relies on his scouting staff, but he tells them what to look for.  Heck this last draft was all about the top six, wingers in particular...where do you think the guidelines were coming from?  His hair is cool leave it alone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

its obvious that benning doesn't have full autonomy with the UFA signings. Just last week the aquaman tags along with Benning and Travis to have dinner with Myers. The aquaman wants Myer's balls bad.  Benning , as with the the rest average knowledge fanbase knows, Myers isn't that great. And If we actually sign Myers for 7+mil on july 1st for 7 years, we all know who's hand was all over the deal.

As for the trades, they weren't spectacular, nor did we get robbed of any significant value. The only one that was upsetting was letting Hamhuis walk. Could have gotten a 3rd or late 2nd rounder, but thats life. there were no suiters.

Drafting is an obvious improvement over the gillis regime. 

So all in all not sure where all the criticism is coming from. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

its obvious that benning doesn't have full autonomy with the UFA signings. Just last week the aquaman tags along with Benning and Travis to have dinner with Myers. The aquaman wants Myer's balls bad.  Benning , as with the the rest average knowledge fanbase knows, Myers isn't that great. And If we actually sign Myers for 7+mil on july 1st for 7 years, we all know who's hand was all over the deal.

As for the trades, they weren't spectacular, nor did we get robbed of any significant value. The only one that was upsetting was letting Hamhuis walk. Could have gotten a 3rd or late 2nd rounder, but thats life. there were no suiters.

Drafting is an obvious improvement over the gillis regime. 

So all in all not sure where all the criticism is coming from. 

Funny how you turn that around. I know that as an employee I have to justify or warm up to my boss about things I want him to spend money on. What boss goes to their employees to convince them to spend money? This is one of the  most outrageous theories I’ve ever heard. 

11 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Funny how you turn that around. I know that as an employee I have to justify or warm up to my boss about things I want him to spend money on. What boss goes to their employees to convince them to spend money? This is one of the  most outrageous theories I’ve ever heard. 

I remember JB saying it was a very difficult call to make, when he phoned Aquilini to let him know Gagner was getting sent to the minors.  At the time I heard that comment I was thinking JB shouldn’t worry about what Aquilini was thinking.  JB is the hockey expert, and the owner should keep his nose out of hockey opps.  I think Aquilini is way too involved in hockey opps here.

7 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

its not implausible for the aquaman to demand benning to sign a "top tier dman" this year to push for the playoffs. Myers being the seemingly best available option. The aquaman wants his playoff dough, he can get benning to do whatever he wants

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

When people try to argue that bad contracts during a rebuild don't matter.

lol

That’s a fair criticism as I’ve made the comment in the past.  

The Loui deal is the real problem, as his play has never come close to justifying the cap hit.  If he had some 50-60 point years or was a 20 goal guy he’d probably be a lot easier to move out as well.. or you’d just be satisfied with keeping him.  

Jim is going to have to sweeten the pot and ship him to a cap floor team after his last signing bonus.  There’s no two ways around it.  

Canucks putting money into Sutter and Beagle don’t bother me, at least if Sutter would stay healthy.  Having quality down the middle is a place I don’t mind spending on.  I can see the Canucks moving on from Tanev after next season.. and Schaller will be gone giving us another 6 mil. 

I think that money can be better spent barring a resurgence from Tanev.

Its really not that much of a mess to clean up... pretty much all Eriksson.  Sutter and Beagle might be overpaid by 2 mil between the both of them but they can handle their minutes and bring some spine to the group.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Really? My boss use to come to me all the time looking for projects we could do...…..

You must not be very important...…...sorry!

• Cheers 1

Oh look. Montreal is already hoarding draft picks for when they host the 2020 draft. They seem to have a better draft than us already.....sigh.

when even Bergevin is pulling away from Benning as the worse GM in the league, you know the team you cheer for is in trouble.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

When people try to argue that bad contracts during a rebuild don't matter.

lol

Lol looks like he insists on his schaller and beagles. Because easy fix is trade Beagle or schaller and you have the cap you loss from luongo and buy outs.

yeah it’s hilarious how the Benning lovers defend him saying our cap situation is fine but there you go. It obviously isn’t. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Oh look. Montreal is already hoarding draft picks for when they host the 2020 draft. They seem to have a better draft than us already.....sigh.

when even Bergevin is pulling away from Benning as the worse GM in the league, you know the team you cheer for is in trouble.

Lots of picks doesn’t mean success.  I agree it gives opportunity to move up if wanted, but the picks still need to be good ones.  I thought, and still do, that JB is very arrogant when it comes to his drafting abilities.  He thinks he can outdraft other teams, and with fewer picks.  Hence the “why is no one taking Lind?” comment.  However, looking at our prospect pool, and our current young core, I believe JB deserves to be arrogant.  He’s done a great job.  Great young core, and great prospects coming up over the next 1 to 4 years.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I remember JB saying it was a very difficult call to make, when he phoned Aquilini to let him know Gagner was getting sent to the minors.  At the time I heard that comment I was thinking JB shouldn’t worry about what Aquilini was thinking.  JB is the hockey expert, and the owner should keep his nose out of hockey opps.  I think Aquilini is way too involved in hockey opps here.

The next GM has to be able to stand up to ownership and tell them to back off. This team will struggle to get anywhere with Aqua making roster decisions. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

You really are something....Montreal has trade able assets and ours were injuried....

2 hours ago, Jetliner said:

its not implausible for the aquaman to demand benning to sign a "top tier dman" this year to push for the playoffs. Myers being the seemingly best available option. The aquaman wants his playoff dough, he can get benning to do whatever he wants

I don’t think ownership interferes as much as everyone believes. It’s just another excuse to take the accountability away from Benning. There is no way in Hell ownership is convincing Benning to sign Myers. This is so flat earth where the explanation as to why the earth is flat is far more complex than the obvious truth. 

Edited by Bubble Man
  • Upvote 1

Being totally fair, GMJB has hamstrung us with some bad contracts, and it's preventing us from adding the help we need now. Luongo's cap recapture is of course a big part of it as well, but it looks like, other than Myers, we're not going to be doing much tomorrow, which is unfortunate because the team needs a lot of help, both on the blueline and up front. The fact that it's rumored that we're out of the mix for any of the top 6 forwards available also tells me that Benning doesn't think it's possible for us to move any significant cap, which again, is largely the fault of this management group.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

but it looks like, other than Myers, we're not going to be doing much tomorrow

I wasn't too high on them bringing in Myers before, but I'd be okay with it now. They just lost Hutton and Schenn. The Canucks have to do something fairly big this off season (tomorrow), especially considering a lot of other western teams are upgrading. Plus, Benning has to try and figure out how to get everyone signed and under the cap. With all of the work he has to do, it feels too quiet.

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The next GM has to be able to stand up to ownership and tell them to back off. This team will struggle to get anywhere with Aqua making roster decisions. 

Maybe JB has put his foot down and that’s why no extension for him?  

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wasn't too high on them bringing in Myers before, but I'd be okay with it now. They just lost Hutton and Schenn. The Canucks have to do something fairly big this off season (tomorrow), especially considering a lot of other western teams are upgrading. Plus, Benning has to try and figure out how to get everyone signed and under the cap. With all of the work he has to do, it feels too quiet.

I'm OK with the player. I'm less OK with the fact that we're going to give him too much money and, more importantly, way too much term. And with the other bad contracts still on the team, as well as the Luongo recapture, there won't be much more opportunity to improve the team. I still think there's a good chance we squeak into the playoffs, but upgrading a poor offense to a mediocre offense and a poor defense to a mediocre defense doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence. I do think we have to get better, but at the end of the day, I doubt we'll have done enough to do any more than possibly sneak in and get ousted in the first round.