The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Fair Criticism of Jim Benning

Rate this topic

18W-40C-6W

1 minute ago, Bubble Man said:

I don’t understand how anyone can defend Jim Benning anymore. People worship him as this draft, prodigy, demigod with absolutely no justification. Bracket is head of amateur scouting, it’s sad that a complete fraud takes away most of his credit. Jim Benning has very little to do with the discovery of talent. The scouts give him their intel and he evaluates. The only thing he has direct control over is contract and trades/transactions. Pretty much everything that has held this franchise back. The only thing that shocked me more than giving up a 1st for J.T. Miller was people actually rationalizing it. I’m not going to beat a dead horse with the details that the Benning bros ignore, it’s been described in great detail. I just can’t understand how people are ok with this.

Benning reminds me of Donald Trump and his supporters remind me of the hardcore southern republicans. No matter how unbelievably ridiculous the actual act is, they come up with all kinds of statistics, memes, gifs and threats to defend him. In my opinion anyone who defends Benning’s transaction record is delusional and unwilling to adapt to life in general. I can’t wait for the calculated condescending one liner responses used to farm +1’s headed this way. 

Wow that’s a lot of generalizing.  Both sides (Pro and against) have good arguments for why he should or shouldn’t be here but calling Benning Trump goes to new heights of ridiculous.   Take it easy. Breathe a little.  Don’t worry about it so much.  Not one person on this site views JB as a demigod, and melt that support won’t if things go sour.  Even if he’s helped draft a good pool.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I don’t understand how anyone can defend Jim Benning anymore. People worship him as this draft, prodigy, demigod with absolutely no justification. Bracket is head of amateur scouting, it’s sad that a complete fraud takes away most of his credit. Jim Benning has very little to do with the discovery of talent. The scouts give him their intel and he evaluates. The only thing he has direct control over is contract and trades/transactions. Pretty much everything that has held this franchise back. The only thing that shocked me more than giving up a 1st for J.T. Miller was people actually rationalizing it. I’m not going to beat a dead horse with the details that the Benning bros ignore, it’s been described in great detail. I just can’t understand how people are ok with this.

Benning reminds me of Donald Trump and his supporters remind me of the hardcore southern republicans. No matter how unbelievably ridiculous the actual act is, they come up with all kinds of statistics, memes, gifs and threats to defend him. In my opinion anyone who defends Benning’s transaction record is delusional and unwilling to adapt to life in general. I can’t wait for the calculated condescending one liner responses used to farm +1’s headed this way. 

Leafs are losers.  Marner is leaving.  No defence in Leafland.  Overpaid for JT, AM, and Double Flamingo.  

JB is smart to go in now with a great young core.  Wise hockey man, unlike the child in TO.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

This kind of post is not even worthy of a one liner response (a angry visitor from HF boards I'm assuming).

Edited by Honky Cat

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Leafs are losers.  Marner is leaving.  No defence in Leafland.  Overpaid for JT, AM, and Double Flamingo.  

JB is smart to go in now with a great young core.  Wise hockey man, unlike the child in TO.  

You never use to be a homer looking for +1’s what happened to you? 

We are just ahead of Edmonton and Arizona for the last fanbases that have any business making fun of Toronto. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow that’s a lot of generalizing.  Both sides (Pro and against) have good arguments for why he should or shouldn’t be here but calling Benning Trump goes to new heights of ridiculous.   Take it easy. Breathe a little.  Don’t worry about it so much.  Not one person on this site views JB as a demigod, and melt that support won’t if things go sour.  Even if he’s helped draft a good pool.

I’ve been waiting for 30 years. I’m tired of completely incompetent people blowing it. Like seriously Jim, what is your actual plan? He says he wants a fast transition team. Why would he draft Pod? He isn’t fast at all. He wants fast mobile d-men? How many did he draft this year? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bubble Man said:

We are just ahead of Edmonton and Arizona for the last fanbases that have any business making fun of Toronto. 

I was against trading away second and third round picks for Vey, Baer, Sutter, Guddy and any immediate help.  I thought we should have trade guys like Tanev before his NTC clause kicked in.  I was definitely a tear it down rebuild guy.  However, JB has built a really exciting young core.  It’s time right now to support that young group with the best players JB can get.  We needed a top line left winger.  Miller is that guy.  We need a top four Right shot D man.  It looks like Myers is that guy.  

Young star players are getting huge dollars coming out of their ELCs.  Look at the problems in Leafville!  It’s cap hell.  Their window is slamming shut.  JB sees the new trend and is getting guys in now, who will keep our window (with this young core) open for as long as possible, considering cap constraints.  We have lots of really good prospects coming up over the next three years too.  The window is open now.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Not that he shouldn’t have a hook ready to eject him..because all of that can be thrown under a bus in a couple months or bad moves.  But let’s give the guy a chance, he’s earned it.

He got paid millions of dollars to get the team where it is. If losses were wins then give out as many free passes as you like

But success in the NHL or any game and league is not centered around being a nice guy, for all that he was hated as a coach, nobody will get close to Scotty Bowman in wins or how Montreal used to shrug off older players for picks and younger ones and the team won an unprecedented number of cups.

Very few GM's or coaches quit, they are almost always fired, fired for not winning, some are nice guys but all are hired because of supposed expertise at doing the job correctly and without mistakes.

They are not hired (in most circumstances) to take 7 or 8 years to rebuild teams. The prospect pool on this team is less than it should be, remove Pettersson and Hughes and what is left in the system? Most draft picks are getting their final grade in their 3rd or 4th year, teams have to because they just don't have enough contract slots and in many cases money to sustain 70+ over 10 year periods. Benning hire May 2014 that was 7 seasons ago (2013/2014), 2015 6,  2016 5 years and this season add more time so who are on the team, who are still prospects? How many have contributed to the team? When naming prospects try going back 4 or 5 years and ask yousrself if Benning picked such good players where are they? Most will name only those in the last two drafts.

No Benning hasn't earned anything at all, the only thing that has happened under his watch is the team hasn't finished dead last in the league.

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No he is calling Benning supporters similar to Trump supporters

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

9 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

This kind of post is not even worthy of a one liner response (a angry visitor from HF boards I'm assuming).

No, the HF boards are unusable with their adds and garbage. I’m just tired of reading these boards and seeing the same people belittle anyone who has profoundly valid points in the criticism of Jim Benning get demonized. I think the defendants of Benning do it as a self medicating method. It’s like telling yourself it’s going to be ok after contracting Hep C. Only projecting it to others who are materializing your deep inner thoughts. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Just ahead of the oilers ha that's laughable the Canucks have two great centers and Brock and VP and Jake and now JT Miller.....this is the first time since I've been a Canucks fan that they will actually have a top six filled with top six talents instead of forcing third liners into the top six.....the D is a work in process and Hughes and OJ and Woo are all looking good and theirs balance to them and add tram...

we also have three good goalies and Demko could lead our team to great things....oilers have jack all their goalie sucks and their D is sucks ha and they have a bunch of ahl players on their main roster and don't even get me started on the coyotes ha

the leafs made the same mistake the oilers did and thought they were ready before they were... Leafs will end up winning nothing cause they've didn't build their team the right way....they lack depth in all areas just like the oilers so the Canucks will have better success then them both in the future.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Hey everyone, I think the things that everyone already knows but I won't write an essay and waste your time. 

Who is forcing you to read it? Everyone is entitled to their say. It is a discussion board after all. If you don’t like the posters content there is always the ignore function. 

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Just ahead of the oilers ha that's laughable the Canucks have two great centers and Brock and VP and Jake and now JT Miller.....this is the first time since I've been a Canucks fan that they will actually have a top six filled with top six talents instead of forcing third liners into the top six.....the D is a work in process and Hughes and OJ and Woo are all looking good and theirs balance to them and add tram...

we also have three good goalies and Demko could lead our team to great things....oilers have jack all their goalie sucks and their D is sucks ha and they have a bunch of ahl players on their main roster and don't even get me started on the coyotes ha

the leafs made the same mistake the oilers did and thought they were ready before they were... Leafs will end up winning nothing cause they've didn't build their team the right way....they lack depth in all areas just like the oilers so the Canucks will have better success then them both in the future.....

Hahahaha can someone please tell me where on Jim Benning’s God Green earth they have found even a shred of evidence that supports OJ has any chance of becoming a serviceable NHL D-Man? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I totally agree.  I was completely against JB’s philosophy of how to rebuild a new young core.  He’s done a fabulous job though!  We have a great young core, and it’s time to open their window to compete.  With the additions if guys like Miller (and hopefully Myers) and our really good group of prospects, that window is going to stay open for a decade.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I agree you need a mix. It’s interesting to read posts from people who can see the positive and negative but are objective and those who have used this thread to just “pile on” JB 

I’ll admit it’ll go a long way in elevating us to “contender” status is JB can hit a home run in FA or trade the way he knocks them out of the park at the draft. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

No, the HF boards are unusable with their adds and garbage. I’m just tired of reading these boards and seeing the same people belittle anyone who has profoundly valid points in the criticism of Jim Benning get demonized. I think the defendants of Benning do it as a self medicating method. It’s like telling yourself it’s going to be ok after contracting Hep C. Only projecting it to others who are materializing your deep inner thoughts. 

Here we totally agree.  No poster should be mocked, or attacked personally.  

JB has built a fabulous young core though.  I don’t see how anyone can disregard that fact?

• Upvote 2