The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] M. Duchene to sign with Nashville

Duchene had a good stat year in his UFA season, this deal if true at 8m is not bad. I would rather him at 8m that Hayes at 7.1m!

Could JB look to Nashville to acquire Turris for below market value...he is try to be competitive now right!? BC boy, could be used as a RW on Bo's line?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Say what you want about Duchene but Nashville desperately needed a 1c. This should immediately improve their offense and top six. Considering he's a ufa 8m ain't the end of the world, not when you consider what Philly paid Hayes. 

So Johansen doesn't cut it? 

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Say what you want about Duchene but Nashville desperately needed a 1c. This should immediately improve their offense and top six. Considering he's a ufa 8m ain't the end of the world, not when you consider what Philly paid Hayes. 

C2.  Johansen is their C1.  Duchene is not a playmaker.  He is expected to play with Granlund on the 2nd line in a scoring role with Johansen's line taking the tougher matchups.

Johansen kept the team afloat when Forsberg/Arvidsson/Turris were down with injuries.   Johansen is better than Duchene at both end of the ice and can play against anyone.  Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson.  When healthy that line is as good as any top line in the league.  

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So Johansen doesn't cut it? 

That remains to be seen, depends on who Nashville views as their 1c. Johansen is almost 27 with 130 goals, 276 assists and 406 points.

Duchene turned 28 in January and has put up 232 goals, 315 assists and 547 points. 

Point totals for the last four seasons for Johansen are 36 in 42 games, 61, 54 and 64. Points totals for Duchene the last four seasons are 59, 41, 59 and 70.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

C2.  Johansen is their C1.  Duchene is not a playmaker.  He is expected to play with Granlund on the 2nd line in a scoring role with Johansen's line taking the tougher matchups.

Johansen kept the team afloat when Forsberg/Arvidsson/Turris were down with injuries.   Johansen is better than Duchene at both end of the ice and can play against anyone.  Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson.  When healthy that line is as good as any top line in the league.  

Remains to be seen who Nashville views as their 1c but you make fair points. It's all speculation at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Remains to be seen who Nashville views as their 1c but you make fair points. It's all speculation at this point. 

Laviolette cannot stop praising Johansen as well as Poile.  With them losing their only 2x 30 goal scorers to injury as well as their C2 who had a terrible year, and the team just not clicking he was their most consistent player and the one that kept them afloat.

Laviolette talks of how he has moved around at times Forbserg-Arvidsson but that line is just too good together.  They have a goal for % of close to 60%.

This season Poile talked of how he was concerned about their 2nd line.

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Laviolette cannot stop praising Johansen as well as Poile.  With them losing their only 2x 30 goal scorers to injury as well as their C2 who had a terrible year, and the team just not clicking he was their most consistent player and the one that kept them afloat.

Laviolette talks of how he has moved around at times Forbserg-Arvidsson but that line is just too good together.  They have a goal for % of close to 60%.

This season Poile talked of how he was concerned about their 2nd line.

We shall see. If they want to maximize Duchene's offensive production he'll likely get better wingers. You're right about Johansen having a better two way game but I'd give Duchene the edge offensively. Yeah, Johansen's more a playmaker but Duchene edges him out when it comes to production over the course of his career by a fair margin and they're only like a year and a half apart. 

Could see it going either way. You can praise a guy all year and still slot him somewhere else the next season. Regardless, Nashville desperately needed the top six help and I view this as a positive signing for them. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We shall see. If they want to maximize Duchene's offensive production he'll likely get better wingers. You're right about Johansen having a better two way game but I'd give Duchene the edge offensively. Yeah, Johansen's more a playmaker but Duchene edges him out when it comes to production over the course of his career by a fair margin and they're only like a year and a half apart. 

Could see it going either way. You can praise a guy all year and still slot him somewhere else the next season. Regardless, Nashville desperately needed the top six help and I view this as a positive signing for them. 

Definitely a good signing.  

Granlund has struggled since coming to Nashville but Poile made that trade with the hope to keep him long term.  Granlund is more of a playmaker (thus not a fit with Johansen) and should complement Duchene well.  That line should get a fair share of offensive opportunities while Johansen will continue as matchup C.  

I don't think they'll bother who is 1st line/2nd line.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Definitely a good signing.  

Granlund has struggled since coming to Nashville but Poile made that trade with the hope to keep him long term.  Granlund is more of a playmaker (thus not a fit with Johansen) and should complement Duchene well.  That line should get a fair share of offensive opportunities while Johansen will continue as matchup C.  

I don't think they'll bother who is 1st line/2nd line.

Sounds about right to me 

They really need Granlund to bounce back though something fierce, maybe with more time to settle in he'll produce 

• Cheers 1

I wonder if this makes Turris available? They need to free up some cap space to re-sign Smith, Josi, and Watson next year. Turris seem the most likely candidate out of the forwards to be moved.

Don’t know what type of package that could entice Polie; maybe, Sautner, Lind, and a 2nd?

• Upvote 1