The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What signing Myers and Benn mean for Jim Benning and the Canucks this season.

Rate this topic

Phat Fingers

5 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Don’t believe we’ve signed either one yet.

Getting in before it happens.... now that is what you get living on the east coast a 4 hour head start.  The leaks have sprung across the league.  I have already had 3 cups of coffee... 

Reports have Myers at 6m for 5 years and Benn for 2m over 2 years.  Not official, but no where do I say official.  

If it doesn't happen, I get the mulligan and hang my head in shame.  Thems the breaks.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

Very economical defence. 6M for Edler who's up in 2 years. 6M for Myers who may slow down near the end of his career like Edler. 4M for Tanev who's due a renewal. Hughes on an ELC which is due a massive raise the same time as Benn's cheap 2M contract expires.

JB has finally built a decent defence. Not sure if they'll score much, there's a lot of solid shutdown guys on that blueline but the hope is that Hughes and maybe even Juolevi can come in and rack up points.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Tanev

Nice top-6. Not much puck moving ability but good first passes and solid physical guys. Look at just about ever cup winner in the past - they all have one top D man and a bunch of solid shutdown cheap guys who play hard.

Benning wanted to upgrade the D, and he did.

Out: Pouliot, Hutton, Schenn

In: Myers, Benn, Fantenberg

Next, they will need to re-sign Boeser and Leivo. Not sure what their plans are for Goldobin, Motte, Perron, Boucher, Teves and Rafferty.

They'll need to try and trade Eriksson, at the least. I'd be okay with them keeping Sutter until the TDL, but Loui can't be in the lineup in October. If Benning can trade Loui, hopefully it would be for a top 6 in return, for Bo's line. Canucks may have to eat some salary and add. 

It's been a good Free Agent day so far.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning wanted to upgrade the D, and he did.

Out: Pouliot, Hutton, Schenn

In: Myers, Benn, Fantenberg

Next, they will need to re-sign Boeser and Leivo. Not sure what their plans are for Goldobin, Motte, Perron, Boucher, Teves and Rafferty.

They'll need to try and trade Eriksson, at the least. I'd be okay with them keeping Sutter until the TDL, but Loui can't be in the lineup in October. If Benning can trade Loui, hopefully it would be for a top 6 in return, for Bo's line. Canucks may have to eat some salary and add. 

It's been a good Free Agent day so far.

Boucheris an AHL player as well as Teves and Rafferty. They wont count against the cap.

Goldobin, Bye bye

Motte we will have to see what Brock gets first

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Boucheris an AHL player as well as Teves and Rafferty. They wont count against the cap.

Goldobin, Bye bye

Motte we will have to see what Brock gets first

Maybe Goldobin is part of a future Eriksson trade? 

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They’ll be lucky to get a bag of pucks back for Loui at this point. We’ll probably have to retain salary and toss in a prospect, just to get someone take some of the cap hit. But a top 6 forward? It would probably be easier to just trade prospects, then ask someone to take Loui as well. I would love to be proven wrong, of course. ;) That would be the coup of JB’s career.