The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Leafs look legit now.  Any of u that disagree are just in denial.

i disagree

and am not in denial

no team that has true playoff aspirations

can contend without 8 dmen

injuries happen.. . nucks are proof of that

the leafs have no d depth

and they really do not have a legit starting 6

let's give it 40 games

and see how the leaf d gels

• Upvote 2

Just now, Provost said:

You keep saying 100%.

It isn’t 100% until July 1st, 2020 no matter how many buddies you have heard it from.

There is a chance he re-signs right now (though low because Toronto needs to keep tagging room in mind), and there is certainly a decent chance he re-signs there if they find a way to afford him and he fits in.  Long playoff runs do wonders for players’ loyalties.

No long playoff runs happen in Toronto unless you count losing in 7 to Boston as along run. 

Not saying Barrie signs in Vancouver for sure but 100% going to FA 

• Upvote 1

I actually think this is a pretty good trade overall. The Avalanche get someone they can play behind MacKinnon who's locked up to a good deal. It gives them that much more depth, especially if Kadri get's close to his 30 goal year while providing two way play. The Leafs get an effective right handed defenseman for below market value cap wise for this year with the obvious possibility that Barrie will leave at the end of the year. I think Toronto loses value here due to that as they could walk away with only Kerfoot (who I don't really like) and a downgrade of picks as soon as next year, but I understand they were done with Kadri's nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, goblix said:

Agreed... they traded out Soderberg and now Kerfoot and Barrie which were #4/5/6 on their top scorers of their season... on a team struggling for secondary scoring....

out: Barrie / Kerfoot / Soderberg

in: Donskoi / Kadri / Burakovsky

also not sure how Leafs are going to sign Kerfoot, Ceci and Marner with 11 mil in cap space :blink:

It's $11mil on 22 contracts so only adding one more, but have to figure Marner will be 8 figures unless they're doing some sort of bridge.  Ceci is also reportedly getting $4.5mil, same as Zaitsev.  Would think Kerfoot will get something similar to Kapanen and Johnsson.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s what I don’t understand. The timing is weird.

Why not have Barrie play all season to help you get into a playoff spot? No guarantees they even make the playoffs now without Barrie. He was a huge part of their offence.

Now you have to throw Makar into that role with very little experience.

And like you said they could have easily gotten that value at the deadline. Probably even more. Seems to me like they’re helping out the Leads when the Leafs were the ones who were desperate.

Remember how everyone wanted us to move Tanev and Sutter at the deadline, yeah sometimes waiting blows up in your face. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Remember how everyone wanted us to move Tanev and Sutter at the deadline, yeah sometimes waiting blows up in your face. 

Not when you need to make the playoffs like the AVs.

This deal seemed rushed. I find it hard to believe a better offer couldn’t be found.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not when you need to make the playoffs like the AVs.

This deal seemed rushed. I find it hard to believe a better offer couldn’t be found.

The Avs will be fine without Barrie, Kadri filling the hole in line 2 was the bigger move needed for them. 

Also Kerfoot is a tad overrated here. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not if they re-sign him.

They’re going to offer him a huge contract extension.

Leafs actually have a D core now with Reilly and Barrie.

They still don’t have defense. And how much cap will they have to re- sign him. I doubt they will be able. They are just going for it now but he doesn’t solve their problem. Keeping players out of the Home plate area is their problem not scoring 

I think it is a really good deal for both teams.

Avs really needed exactly what Kadri brings.  He will be the anchor for their second line.  Some people here are really discounting him, he is a very good player on a very good contract.

Leafs really need exactly what Barrie brings and the Avs have the luxury of not really needing it.  He was leaving next year anyway and they have Makar in his rookie year and Byram coming.  

Toronto is having a decent off season.  Avs are having a great offseason.

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

They still don’t have defense. And how much cap will they have to re- sign him. I doubt they will be able. They are just going for it now but he doesn’t solve their problem. Keeping players out of the Home plate area is their problem not scoring 

Their D is great now actually. Reilly and whoever and Muzzin and Barrie. That’s a lot better than ours.

No wonder you guys like Benning, you guys have a serious misguided view of actual talent lol

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Leafs still have a cap nightmare to deal with since they still need to sign Marner, Ceci and now Kerfoot.  They have $11M to do this.  They don't have a backup goalie yet either, and I guess they will run with Marincin and Dermott or Holl as 5, 6, 7.

Rielly-Barrie and Muzzin-Ceci is presumably their new top 4 though.

• Haha 1