The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Tyson Barrie, Alexander Kerfoot, 2020 6th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen, 2020 3rd-round pick

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kadri is only a slight upgrade over Kerfoot though.

So they’re essentially swapping Barrie for Rosen and a 3rd. Plus they’re retaining salary.

Youre telling me Benning couldn’t have swung a better deal?

I am clearly in the minority here about Kerfoot's upside (I think he's overrated). As much as I hate Kadri, I think the guy is easily a 2C in most teams, and he is also a pretty good shutdown guy. I imagine the analytics for Kadri bears that one out. And his salary's pretty good as well - 3 more years at $4.5M. Toronto will miss his shutdown role but will be happy that they don't need to worry about his suspensions during playoffs.

• Upvote 2

I don't think this deal is that bad for the Avs as everyone else seems to think. Kadri is on an amazing contract at only 4.5mil for the next 3 years while Barrie is likely leaving to get PAID as a UFA next year.Sucks that they gave up Kerfoot but that pretty much makes the deal closer to even.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Sutter + Sven Bae + 6th in 2020 was a better option IMHO. :frantic:

Not within our conference, easier trade to make when trading outside your conference

If I'm Sakic no way I want Sven and Sutter the wrong kinda center the Avs want

Just now, Rindiculous said:

I don’t understand why Sakic decided to take a bad deal from the Laffs when Benning already offered him a better deal.  Does he have a vendetta against the Canucks?

I think he just wanted Barrie out of the west. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

I don’t understand why Sakic decided to take a bad deal from the Laffs when Benning already offered him a better deal.  Does he have a vendetta against the Canucks?

Simple Barrie is walking in FA and Kadri>>>Kerfoot 

and the Avs need a 2nd line Centre

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Great, now we have to deal with the douche in our division.  Keep your head up Petey 

if they match up Kadri with Petey that'll be great for Peteys goal totals. 

No way would the Avs have wanted Sutter over Kadri. 

Leafs appear to be trying to go all in this season. Either that or they know Marner is gone or at such a high numver that they cant re-sign him.

Other GM's have to be thinking offer sheet for marner now.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kadri is only a slight upgrade over Kerfoot though.

So they’re essentially swapping Barrie for Rosen and a 3rd. Plus they’re retaining salary.

Youre telling me Benning couldn’t have swung a better deal?

Kadri can play match up, hard minutes against both big and fast pivots. I am not talking about his cheap shots. Its also a good trade for Colorado.

He's a good defensive forward. Kills penalties. He is exactly what Colorado needed.  And they had a need to help them win in the now. We also already traded away too many futures to get Miller. What were we going to do. Trade them Brendan Gaunce? Brandan Sutter??

Toronto desperately needed Barrie.  Curious who will play defensive minutes there? Marleau is also gone. Nylander may be in for a sudden shock, change in core assignment? But they have the ability to make a further trade.  For now maybe they have a 3rd line Kerfoot Nylander Kapanen.  Just try and out gun opponents?

As an aside, I do like a component of their move with Ottawa to acquire 6'6'' shot blocking and punching beast, decent defensively Ben Harpur.  Underrated move. I have met him. He's a nice guy. Does not like the fighting but he's good at it. And is doing what he needs to, to be an NHL player.  He'll be a great depth D man for them.

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

For one year?  He’s most likely coming to Vancouver next year

Yeah but that's an if. I really hope you are right. It's the same when there were rumours of the Oilers offering more for CS than NJ did. 

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Maybe it's a one-year rescue plan, to stall for time.  $11 million in cap space now -- all going to Marner?  And Colorado, why not use Barrie for the year and sell as a rental?  Surely would get at least as much in return.  Seems to be a lot more questions than answers here.

That’s what I don’t understand. The timing is weird.

Why not have Barrie play all season to help you get into a playoff spot? No guarantees they even make the playoffs now without Barrie. He was a huge part of their offence.

Now you have to throw Makar into that role with very little experience.

And like you said they could have easily gotten that value at the deadline. Probably even more. Seems to me like they’re helping out the Leads when the Leafs were the ones who were desperate.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's a big risk for a guy who is 100% walking to FA 

You keep saying 100%.

It isn’t 100% until July 1st, 2020 no matter how many buddies you have heard it from.

There is a chance he re-signs right now (though low because Toronto needs to keep tagging room in mind), and there is certainly a decent chance he re-signs there if they find a way to afford him and he fits in.  Long playoff runs do wonders for players’ loyalties.