The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Eriksson

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

and one more spot on the roster up here for a prospect so whats your solution ?

Send him to Utica.  Loui will not report.  He’s got his reputation back home (Sweden) to protect.  His reputation is exactly why he blamed Green, when asked to explain his lack of production by the Swedish reporter.  Then we terminate his contract.

The only end game where Loui saves his (obviously) very important reputation as a star player, is to retire from NHL hockey.  That’s what will happen. 

25 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks are fine cap wise.  Cap Friendly is showing 31 active players.  Roussel is going on IR and 7 others will be coming off (only 2 unsigned coming off)

Teams can't really bank cap space if they have players on LTIR - it limits their flexibility.  Roussel is not expected to be on LTIR the full season which makes things even more challenging.  

If they can't bank cap space they will only be able to use prospective cap space and will need to be a full 3M under the cap to be able to take Roussel off LTIR.  Trying to do  a mid-season trade to find that cap space is not necessarily easy.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Send him to Utica.  Loui will not report.  He’s got his reputation back home (Sweden) to protect.  His reputation is exactly why he blamed Green, when asked to explain his lack of production by the Swedish reporter.  Then we terminate his contract.

The only end game where Loui saves his (obviously) very important reputation as a star player, is to retire from NHL hockey.  That’s what will happen. 

Lucic is looking better every day eh Alf? :lol:

• Upvote 1

Keeping 50% ($3m) of Loui's contract plus Luo's penalty (what's with the Lous?) works out to $6m, so they'd be paying a hefty salary for no one. They need to get rid of Eriksson's contract completely. Like soneone else mentioned, trade him to a team with cap space, in return for a 5th or a prospect or something. As for sending Loui to Utica, I don't think they'll do that, becaaue he would be untradeable IMO after that. If they keep Loui, they need him to have a big year so they can try to trade him at the TDL.  

10 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

I love to know what's going on behind the scenes regarding Loui

Might be something like this?

Loui’s agent, “shut up, or you will never get traded!”

Loui, “why don’t teams want me?” :(

Loui’s agent, “ Modo wants you.”

Option 1 : include a 1st rounder to unload his contract

Option 2 : Include a good prospect or young player like Demko, Virtanen, maybe Gaudette

Option 3 : take back an ugly contract like Lucic 

Option 4 : Keep him for another year , pay his bonus and re-look at our options to unload a 2 year contract which will be easier to swallow.

Option 5: Buyout / send to Utica where we don't save nearly enough to sign a top 6 forward anyway

Eriksson will not refuse to play, or retire. He still feels he has gas in the tank.

From the Canucks point of view, its looking like option 4 is the best solution which they will have to mend the fences, and hope for better season to up his value for 2020-2021.

Most disgruntled employees can turn the page if they're handled the right way and be used for all of their strengths which Eriksson still possesses to certain extent.

It's on Green and JB to work things out with him, motivate him to get a trading partner after the season, and utilize the plethora of little things to maximize their return.:)

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Then there's one less spot for our prospects to develop. It also doesn't save much money does it? 

He sits in the press box in Utica.  Never sees the ice.  He will go home in two weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Teams can't really bank cap space if they have players on LTIR - it limits their flexibility.  Roussel is not expected to be on LTIR the full season which makes things even more challenging.  

If they can't bank cap space they will only be able to use prospective cap space and will need to be a full 3M under the cap to be able to take Roussel off LTIR.  Trying to do  a mid-season trade to find that cap space is not necessarily easy.  

Yeah near as I understand it, the LITR doesn’t actually free up cap space but let’s you go over it by that amount (hence, you’re not banking any cap space during the regular season until the trade deadline for example).

12 minutes ago, Borvat said:

He sits in the press box in Utica.  Never sees the ice.  He will go home in two weeks.

And Loui’s again will point to him that is exactly what will happen.  Could you imagine the embarrassment Loui would feel if that happened?  He would never be able to show his face back home in Sweden.  

Loui will retire before the Canucks waive him.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Loui’s again will point to him that is exactly what will happen.  Could you imagine the embarrassment Loui would feel if that happened?  He would never be able to show his face back home in Sweden.  

Loui will retire before the Canucks waive him.  

Meh, pay me six million bucks and I’d sleep with you Alf with a big smile on my face.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Meh, pay me six million bucks and I’d sleep with you Alf with a big smile on my face.:P

He is only owed $1MM for the remainder of this season.  He would need to make it to July 1, 2020 to get his next bonus of  $3MM.  After that he is only owed $5MM total.

I would trade Zack Smith straight up for him at most - 2 years left  at $3.25MM - if Ottawa wanted to dump salary.  Otherwise make him sit in Utica.  

image.thumb.png.da6266116ac21c7eaed3144e58b839ed.png

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

How about Eriksson to anybody who wants him for FREE!  Dump the contract and move on.  

no one is going to want him for free.. we would have to give up something for any time to take him. If it was that easy, it would have been done by now. 

• Cheers 2

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Loui Eriksson
10 minutes ago, WCE said:

If I'm Vancouver cap dump 

To Sens Eriksson & Sutter 

To Van Smith 

This would give us a 7 million in cap space

This would be amazing, we would likely have to through in a pick to make this happen. Smith is arguable more useful then both of those players and Ottawa doesn't really need much more to get to the cap floor.

9 hours ago, mll said:

Thanks.  So that leaves the Canucks with only $10.3M in free cap space according to my calculations