The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs have improved the most of any Canadian team this summer

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if Hutton wishes he accepted Benning's offer, and stayed with this excellent group. Greed got the best of him, maybe he'll get another shot with another team, but I don't see anyone offering him $4 per year, or given the responsibnilty of filling in for the team's top Dman (Edler). He'll be lucky to be in the 3rd pairing on any other team.  

The Leafs still haven't signed Marner. I'm sure Mitch would prefer to stay in TOR (his home province), but like others, he's chasing the money. I can actually see Marner accept less than what he should get, to stay in TOR. He's been drinking the Koolaid there for a little while and is probably brain-washed, Shanny style. TOR is still going to have problems though. Do they not watch the playoffs? When they got bounced in the first round, did they think it was too much grit that cost them the series? lol The changes they made looks that way, they got rid of their gritty players for smaller players. They switched a couple of seniors in Marleau and Spezza, for some reason. And there is possible problems in the room between Matthews and Kapanen. On a positive note for them I guess, is that I think Nylander is going to have a big year. TOR will have the same issues as last year, except this time they'll just squeak in, but get bounced in the first round again. Not enough gritty support players.

Did Benning make him an offer?  I thought that he just didn't qualify him which made Hutton a UFA.

He was given an offer by the Kings on day 2 I think, which he turned down.

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Elias leaves for Sweden isn't really an option... And I'd respect him if he decided to play here until he's 39... And then go play in Sweden until he's 46. He's that good.

But... The NHL is the top league that superstars want to play in. So when you get non American / Canadian, they become honorary citizens... Like the Sedins, Naslund, Ohlund, Edler are. 

I'd definitely be upset as a Canucks fan to lose Brock, Quinn or Thatcher... Don't get me wrong.

I'd probably hate on them if they left without us getting a fair trade (final year of the contract we trade him instead of losing in UFA for nothing) 

That being said, I respect their morals when it comes to going back and giving back to their home state where they grew up. 

There's other factors too... 

Also no where has this pattern been more evident than The Canucks and Leafs... The two provinces have invested so much time and money, and they keep generating superstars for these US cities. 

Growing up, I always saw Colorado Joe and Steve Y, and many other BC superstars torment the team that meant absolutely everything to me in elementary school. I'm still a passionate fan but in a more "sane" way. No more punching walls after regular season goals against lol (happened once :lol:

Yzerman moved to Ontario when he was 9.  I hope you don't hold that against him.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Did Benning make him an offer?  I thought that he just didn't qualify him which made Hutton a UFA.

You are correct, Benning didn't qualify him

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

No room on the roster.  Perhaps if they moved Tanev or something, but would think Ben could find a bottom-6 role somewhere.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, oldnews said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-off-season-power-rankings-free-agents-signings-draft-picks-trades-2019/

Leafs at 8th overall - improved the most among Canadian franchises.

image.jpeg.24ca986c34a4505ee659b866b85bcabe.jpeg

I found this line on the Canucks particularly hilarious.

We’ll withhold final judgment here, however, until we see Brock Boeser’s contract.

Yet that same logic doesn't apply to Marner? :blink: Who's actually eligible for an offersheet unlike Boeser.... :wacko:

Kool-aid is right. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pretty somber synopsis of the Dubas regime thus far, particularly in their salary structure, accompanied by commentary from the Blue Koolaid Crew:

Posted 10:57 AM ET | Comments 12

https://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=18262&user_id=146200

He isnt wrong. The only thing left to see is if the all offense approach can win for them in the playoffs. I have my doubts tbh. And my hopes. Which are that Toronto crashes and burns. Dubas is the most overrated GM in the league imo and its not even close. Look at the comments on that article for all the proof you need.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pretty somber synopsis of the Dubas regime thus far, particularly in their salary structure, accompanied by commentary from the Blue Koolaid Crew:

One big mistake after another, glad to see something other than the Leaf's controlled media talking about the genius shanaplan and how amazing Dubas is. Almost everyone else seems to know they aren't tough enough to succeed in the playoffs except the above mentioned people lol. 

• Cheers 1

It's been even worse since the actual qualified hockey people left and left an incompetent dweeb who probably still gets beaten up for his lunch money in charge.  Meanwhile LL turned around the Islanders despite losing Tavares and the Hunter brothers have a good chance at bringing home gold with Team Canada.  Mark Hunter will be a GM in this league very soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damien Cox: Maybe the Maple Leafs shouldn’t sign Mitch Marner

There’s no reason Mitch Marner should be able to demand the kinds of dollars he is demanding from the Maple Leafs.

Same goes for Matthew Tkachuk and the Flames, Brayden Point and the Lightning, Zach Werenski of Columbus, Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine of the Jets, Mikko Rantanen of Colorado and Brock Boeser of the Canucks.

We could go on. There are lots of restricted free agents yet to sign. What’s intriguing here, however, is that exactly none of these players have a speck of real leverage beyond an ability to withdraw their services from their NHL teams.

Yes, there’s the threat of offer sheets blah, blah, blah. Montreal wasted everyone’s time on Sebastian Aho, a naked public relations effort by GM Marc Bergevin to curry favour with Habs fans by making it appear he’s doing everything possible to make the team better.

Carolina, of course, just laughed at Montreal and matched the offer. Why would anyone else bother? San Jose was able to get restricted free-agent Timo Meier under contract, but had to nearly quadruple his contract after one 30-goal season.

Meier and Aho are exceptions. The most significant RFAs are behaving as if they have the leverage, not the teams. After William Nylander sat out and didn’t sign until the last moment with the Leafs last December, more than one player could go that route this season.

The fact, obviously, is that teams have surrendered leverage to these players. They didn’t even bargain it away. They just gave it away without a fight. Again.

Nearly three decades after rookie Eric Lindros became the highest-paid player in the NHL without playing a game, prompting a salary explosion across hockey and ultimately leading to the entry-level cap system that should protect teams from having to pay massive salaries to players with just a few years of NHL experience, the NHL is right back where it started.

Lindros got $16.5 million (all dollars U.S.) for six years at a time when Hart Trophy winner Mark Messier was making $1.5 million. Now, 26-year-old Nikita Kucherov ($9.5-million cap hit) is the reigning Hart Trophy winner and, while he won’t get lapped like Messier did, it’s not impossible that players such as Marner, Tkachuk and Rantanen could get a salary equal to or greater than Kucherov’s.

Remember, Aho just got a deal that pays him an average of $8.45 million per year. Sidney Crosby, second in Hart voting, has six years left on a contract that comes with an average cap hit of $8.7 million.

So once again, the NHL is back in the business of paying players who have accomplished less in their careers more money than experienced players who have won multiple Stanley Cups and major awards.

This leaves us in a situation with all these terrific young players unsigned. The Jets, who have already had to trade away Jacob Trouba because they couldn’t sign him, might be unable to get either Connor or Laine under contract. Point’s a real problem for Tampa, which also has to sign Adam Erne. Boston’s got to figure out how to sign defencemen Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo. The Flyers don’t have Ivan Provorov or Travis Konecny, both 22 years old, under contract.

We know the angst the Nylander situation caused in Toronto last year. That same situation could befall several teams this season unless some team decides to draw a line in the sand. Indeed, many wonder if Toronto should have done that with Nylander last year. The Leafs were trying to win the Cup, of course, and believed they needed the player, but with 20/20 hindsight you could look back and argue that not signing Nylander would have been worth the sacrifice.

You could make the same argument with Marner now.

These teams get squeezed because they are simultaneously in the business of making a profit and of winning, and agents have always been able to use the emotional component of the latter to get teams to do things that really aren’t in their interest.

It’s not like teams couldn’t call a halt to this crazy practice of awarding players with three years’ experience these massive new contracts. Tampa could just refuse to give Point the gigantic raise he seeks, just like it shut down Jonathan Drouin. Calgary could do the same with Tkachuk, and so on. The players could play overseas, but not for the money they are demanding.

However, we know how that would play out. Fans would put pressure on the teams to get the players signed. Beyond that, the current collective agreement is in its final stages. The league can opt out of it on Sept. 1, and the players on Sept. 19.

You could argue teams will fight for more restrictions on players coming off entry-level deals in the next CBA, but there’s no guarantee they’ll get it, and clubs might prefer to get players signed under the terms of this deal.

So the likelihood is Point, Tkachuk and Marner will all get their money. But nobody wants to be the first to sign, and the contract signed by Auston Matthews this year that walks him into unrestricted free agency at age 26 has ceded yet more territory to RFAs, again without much of a fight.

Once the door has been opened, it’s hard to shut it again. NHL owners, however, rarely understand their own league’s history. So they end up dealing with the same problems that were supposed to be solved decades ago."

Related image

On 7/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, Hutton Wink said:

"Dubas is no Phil Mickelson of hockey" LOL

Not sure if mentioned:

Article written July 9th...we signed Ferland July 10th.

So that gives Canucks an add of 2 of their top 15 ranked FA's, plus add Miller...I'd say we did OK. Will the Laffs finish above us in the standings by year-end??? Probably...but I still say we improved the most. By my estimation we will improve by about 10 points in the standings (to 91)...I would actually say that TML drops a couple (to 98)...so I'd say we will improve more than Toronto next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

Not sure if mentioned:

Article written July 9th...we signed Ferland July 10th.

So that gives Canucks an add of 2 of their top 15 ranked FA's, plus add Miller...I'd say we did OK. Will the Laffs finish above us in the standings by year-end??? Probably...but I still say we improved the most. By my estimation we will improve by about 10 points in the standings (to 91)...I would actually say that TML drops a couple (to 98)...so I'd say we will improve more than Toronto next year.

Leafs also have no chance of winning a playoff round with their 10 ply forward group and AHL quality defense.  We have a more balanced lineup that will be harder to play against in a 7 game series.

• Upvote 2

I concede that the Leafs have improved more than the Canucks this year, as have the Oilers and Flames.

However the category that I am using to measure improvement is the sucking category, Yes, these three teams are reaching maximum suckiness capacity.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2