The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal > Julius Honka Goldobin swap

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Loui for Honker straight up

Then Tanev for 1st.

Then Sutter for 1st.

Ridiculously Lop-sided is the CDC Way! 

Are you implying Goldy for Honka is CDC overrating our players? Or is this a joke about most CDC proposals, it falls short when you make it in one of the few proposals that makes sense for both sides. 

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Loui for Honker straight up

Then Tanev for 1st.

Then Sutter for 1st.

Ridiculously Lop-sided is the CDC Way! 

to be fair, TSN did use the word "waivers" when talking about Honka. Cleary they don't see a lot of value there. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

28 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if they could move honka to utica without being claimed, he could play with juolevi.  maybe some chemistry there. 

goldie could act as an interpreter for podzolkin. 

I’m not sure that would be the best way to develop two struggling prospects in the AHL.  Get OJ a vet AHL D man to show him the ropes.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Are you implying Goldy for Honka is CDC overrating our players? Or is this a joke about most CDC proposals, it falls short when you make it in one of the few proposals that makes sense for both sides. 

How exactly does it make sense for us when we're not ridiculously ripping off the other franchise?^_^

No way CDC goes for this lol....

15 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Why is everyone so quick to give Goldy away? always looking for new shiny things

Quick to give him away? We've had him for 2 years, one of which he was on the main team the entire year, that's on top of 2-3 years development time with San Jose. It's not like he's 19 and we want him gone cause he's not instantly a top 6 player. He's 23, he's struggling to find any footing in the NHL.

And besides, where does he fit on the team? Lol. He's not better than Pearson, Miller, Ferland, Boeser, or Baer in the top 6. He's not a better fit in the bottom 6 than guys like Leivo, Motte, Roussel, Virtanen or even Eriksson. It's not a "well we want something new" thing it's more of a "he doesn't fit on the team" thing. I am not against moving or keeping him. But something has to give with the number of bodies we have. Waiving him does nothing for his development, that's if we could even get him through waivers. May as well send him somewhere he has a better chance of having a career while also getting a youngish RH d-man that may have some hidden upside.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather keep Goldy on the odd chance he strikes lightning in a bottle this year.  You never know.  Give him a one year show me contract and see what happens.  If we are looking for more depth on the right side of D I'd rather just sign Engelland on a free for a year.  He's still available.  He still played well for Vegas last year and would be an upgrade on Biega.  I'd just send Biega to Utica or maybe he gets picked up on waivers.  Imagine Ferland and Engelland on the ice together against Calgary with little Johnny and 18 year old Sam Bennett on the ice as well.  I'd actually buy a ticket for that game.

Honka is a guy who strikes me as either benefitting from a change of scenery or becoming Poiliot v2.0

I am suspecting the later so there is no point in making the trade. I'd rather try and get  a draft pick for Goldy.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather keep Goldy on the odd chance he strikes lightning in a bottle this year.  You never know.  Give him a one year show me contract and see what happens.

I am not really ready to give up on him either.  As frustrating as it was to watch him play, there really is talent there.

The problem, as mentioned, is whether or not there will be any opportunity for him to play on our roster.  Benning's recent aquisitions have seemingly eliminated his chances of being on the roster opening night.  He would literally have to wait as an extra forward for an injury, then need to jump in and knock everyone's socks off. That's a tall order for sure.

I like Goldy, but I see him doing better on a team who have a 3-offensive-line,1-defensive-line system. Then he can play with other offensive-minded players without looking quite as out of place.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I am not really ready to give up on him either.  As frustrating as it was to watch him play, there really is talent there.

The problem, as mentioned, is whether or not there will be any opportunity for him to play on our roster.  Benning's recent aquisitions have seemingly eliminated his chances of being on the roster opening night.  He would literally have to wait as an extra forward for an injury, then need to jump in and knock everyone's socks off. That's a tall order for sure.

I like Goldy, but I see him doing better on a team who have a 3-offensive-line,1-defensive-line system. Then he can play with other offensive-minded players without looking quite as out of place.

I don't mind if he is our 13th forward.  If there is an injury we need depth to fill our top 2 lines.  I don't want to see someone like Roussel playing top line minutes like last year.  Goldy provides good depth.  Give him a one year show me contract and see what happens.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't mind if he is our 13th forward.  If there is an injury we need depth to fill our top 2 lines.  I don't want to see someone like Roussel playing top line minutes like last year.  

Rouse won't have to with our newfound forward depth. When healthy, it forces us to move a 2nd line guy like Pearson or Bear down to the 3rd line as it is.  So whoever that is can easily slot back into the top 6 as required.

If this has been said I havent read it, but Goldie isn't waiver exempt right?  So he would be kept up to ride the pine every night, correct?  Not the best position to be in as an undeveloped player waiting to show what he can do, imo.