The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PETTERSSON/BOESER SPLIT & OPTIMAL COMBO

Rate this topic

nuckfanfromafrica

If we split Pettersson and Boeser:

Ferland - Pettersson - Miller (2 powerforward with good hands with Pettersson, gives this line speed, grit and skill)

Baertchi - Horvat - Boeser (reunite the BBB line, this could be one of the best 2nd lines in the league if they reignite the chemistry from the 2017-18 season)

Virtanen - Sutter - Pearson (3 big forwards each with the potential to score 15 goals on the 3rd line, my only dislike of this line is that all 3 guys are shoot first player, need a distributer somewhere)

Roussell - Beagle - Leivo (defensively reliable 4th line who can be effective match up line)

Gaudette, Motte, Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Tanev

Fantenberg, Biega

Markstrom

Demko

Edited by ruilin96

16 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Miller is def top six. Virtanen will be on the third line. Other than that you’re in the ballpark.

I don't disagree that Miller is a top 6, but he was traded for.  Not a FA, so the Canucks' never promised to put him on the top 6.  Plus he's been used in this role with TB as a good 2-way player.  He will get top 6 minutes playing on the checking line, while also providing way more offense to that line.  I just think the roster I posted will be the lineup on opening night.  For the rest of the season, who knows.

Edited by Viper007

I'd rather keep the Petey + Boeser combo...guaranteed scoring threat every time they step onto the ice.

Maybe a line up like this:

Ferland Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Baertschi Sutter Leivo

Schaller Beagle Motte

Roussel

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stetcher

Fantenberg Beiga

Markstrom

Demko

I purposely did not include Goldobin, Virtanen, and LE.  As I suspect that if LE were to be traded a sweetener (Goldobin/Virtanen) would be required.

Also, my preference would be to carry 13 forwards and 8 defencemen.  Just cause Defencemen seem to get injured more often and typically play more minutes than forwards.  So following Raptors success of "Load Management", maybe have the extra defenceman rotate in keep everyone fresh.

I’d like to see

Ferland/Miller EP Boeser - top scoring line (80% oz starts)

Pearson Horvat Leivo - heavy two way line (40% oz starts)

Baertschi Miller* Virtanen - secondary scoring line (60% oz starts)

Eriksson Beagle Sutter - (20% oz starts)

Having Beagle and Sutter as centres creates too much of a black hole offensively. I’d put Miller at centre with Baer and Virtanen as that line has a nice mix (and should help Virtanen develop into a 20 goal scorer).

Now Ferland does wear down a lot and probably can’t handle a lot of ice time. What id do is double shift Miller for offensive zone faceoffs.

this gives us three lines that can score and one dedicated purely for defensive duties. 

I like the idea of splitting up Boeser and EP.

Goldobin EP Ferland

Baertschi Bo Boeser

Pearson/Leivo Miller Virtanen

Pearson/Leivo Beagle Sutter

Motte

This lineup only works if Goldobin figures out consistency, effort defence but if he can I think this lineup would be deadly. When Roussell is healthy slot him onto the 4th line and depending on team health maybe make a trade. 4th line starts 87.4% of their draws in the d-zone. I think it would be a very effective shutdown line with 2 good face off men that would allow them to be aggressive and not have to worry about being thrown out of a face off. 3 scoring lines that all have a combination of high level: playmaking, scoring/shooting, speed, and grit/crash-and-bang/be-a-royal-pain-in-the-arse-to-play-against. Proven past chemistry in the top 6 with the triple B’s line and Goldy/EP. Middle 6 are good in their own zone. Gaudette plays lots of minutes in Utica and is called up for an injury to a top 9 centre. Motte fills in on the 4th line wing and one of Pearson Leivo or Virtanen can fill in the top six. Sutter fills in for Beagle if he is injured.  I like the balance depth and versatility of this lineup.

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I’d like to see

Ferland/Miller EP Boeser - top scoring line (80% oz starts)

Pearson Horvat Leivo - heavy two way line (40% oz starts)

Baertschi Miller* Virtanen - secondary scoring line (60% oz starts)

Eriksson Beagle Sutter - (20% oz starts)

Having Beagle and Sutter as centres creates too much of a black hole offensively. I’d put Miller at centre with Baer and Virtanen as that line has a nice mix (and should help Virtanen develop into a 20 goal scorer).

Now Ferland does wear down a lot and probably can’t handle a lot of ice time. What id do is double shift Miller for offensive zone faceoffs.

this gives us three lines that can score and one dedicated purely for defensive duties. 

Am I bad at math cause I swear adding all the oz starts its 200%.  Can this realistically happen? LoL!

4 hours ago, cupwillcome said:

I like the idea of splitting up Boeser and EP.

Goldobin EP Ferland

Baertschi Bo Boeser

Pearson/Leivo Miller Virtanen

Pearson/Leivo Beagle Sutter

Motte

This lineup only works if Goldobin figures out consistency, effort defence but if he can I think this lineup would be deadly. When Roussell is healthy slot him onto the 4th line and depending on team health maybe make a trade. 4th line starts 87.4% of their draws in the d-zone. I think it would be a very effective shutdown line with 2 good face off men that would allow them to be aggressive and not have to worry about being thrown out of a face off. 3 scoring lines that all have a combination of high level: playmaking, scoring/shooting, speed, and grit/crash-and-bang/be-a-royal-pain-in-the-arse-to-play-against. Proven past chemistry in the top 6 with the triple B’s line and Goldy/EP. Middle 6 are good in their own zone. Gaudette plays lots of minutes in Utica and is called up for an injury to a top 9 centre. Motte fills in on the 4th line wing and one of Pearson Leivo or Virtanen can fill in the top six. Sutter fills in for Beagle if he is injured.  I like the balance depth and versatility of this lineup.

Ok now you guys are just trolling

• Haha 1

Line 1: Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Our old top line re-united. This line is ideally the one that get's the tougher matchups and plays relatively even minutes between offensive and defensive zone starts. This also gives us two good options to capitalize on offensive situations. 

Line 2: Miller - Pettersson - Goldobin

I think Pettersson is at his best when he's being as creative as possible. It's much harder to defend someone who's so unpredictable with what they will try to pull on you. I think Pettersson is at his most creative offensively when playing with Goldobin and they feed off each other very well. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pettersson got off to his hot start with Goldobin as his linemate as both are pass first players, which lead Pettersson to shoot more (the adrenaline of playing in the NHL helped too). Miller could potentially be a nice fit as the third member of the line and he get's a shot in our top 6. This line would be our main offensive line. 

Line 3: Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

This line could be as fun as either of top two to watch. Gaudette get's some actual wingers to play with and show that he can carve out a role in the NHL. Both of his wingers play a simple game that relies on hard work, which should fit right in with Gaudette's play style. Their assignment would simply be to play effective, high energy, defensively responsible hockey. This line would a lesser version of Horvat's in terms of deployment. 

Line 4: Pearson - Beagle - Motte 

Our defensive line that faces the majority of the defensive zone starts. Not much else to say here really. 

Leivo - 13th forward

Sutter - If he's not moved then replace Gaudette with him and send Gaudette down. 

Eriksson - Buried

Roussel - When healthy, he can slot in pretty much anywhere on the left side. Look to move Pearson if a trade has to be made. 

Pearson and Ferland can easily be moved up and fit nicely with either of the top two lines. If Goldobin isn't playing in the top 6 then just scratch him as there really is no point. Reuniting Pettersson and Boeser is also a good option if production slows. 

3 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Am I bad at math cause I swear adding all the oz starts its 200%.  Can this realistically happen? LoL!

It depends on actual minutes played per game.  That said 80% ozone starts for any line is a bit ridiculous and doesn’t provide balanced scoring.  EP 70% is more then plenty ... Horvat 50% is fine then let the rest check it out.

Everyone puts Ferland with EP, but I wonder if Miller is a better fit.  Still a big body who can fore-check -- but also really good at draws.  I wonder if you have him take 1/2 the face offs for that line so they start with the puck more.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, apollo said:

You've got some solid line ideas... And a lot of them will probably work wonders. But I suspect there will be quite a lot of shuffling and experimenting. 

Ideally we got Brock and Petey each anchoring a separate line and getting 100+ points each. That being said tho, I think it's more likely they both hit 100 + if they're stacked on one line rather than separated. 

Similar to the Sedin Super lines we witnessed for countless years... Or the west coast express days. 

Can't wait till puck drop to see what combinations they come up with! 

boeser will never ever be a 100 point player.. even if he scores 40+ goals.. he ain't anywhere close to 100 point playing with petey or not

• Haha 1

Play Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen if you want a more balanced attack  

I appreciate your thought as it relates to splitting Pettersson and Boeser, but I really believe that the Canucks need to have atleast one “dominant” line that the team can really rally around.    While Miller-Pettersson-Boeser may not be as good as the WCE or Sedin/Burrows, I don’t think they’ll be too far off either.   The presence of Edler and Myers behind that line should also put that 5 man unit somewhat close to WCE/Sedin-Burrows Prowess.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser (dominant line that can go tit for tit with top lines of other teams.  The Canucks are still a work-in-progress and so they’ll need a strong top line to prevent being dominated).

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen (Baertschi doesn’t become useless, while Virtanen gets a legit shot to grow his offensive game.  These three have had proven past chemistry).

Pearson-Gaudette-Ferland (two physical guys that can also score should be an excellent antidote for the talented and developing Gaudette).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Zone starts aren’t commutative. It just means the Pettersson line starts in the O-Zone 80% of their shifts vs the Beagle line starting 20% in the O-Zone.

For even coverage you need to have your lines 50% in both zones so for simplicity sake we have the lines mirroring each other as a rough estimate of how the lines are deployed. 

Ferland Pettersson Boeser 

Baer Horvat Miller 

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Motte

ALOT of different looks, especially on the wings.

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Myers 

Benn Stecher 

Fantenberg Biega 

Goldobin-AHL

Gaudette-AHL

Juolevi-AHL

All 3 need major minutes, wont get in NHL.

Eriksson will not be on the roster, its ahl or anywhere else but VAN.

Instead of thinking of lines as a threesome, I kinda think pairs is a better way to look at it. Petey/Brock was a pair for most of last season. Because of the injury to Baer, Horvat didn't really have a partner in crime. This year I believe he will, just not sure who it'll be. The 3rd part of the top 2 lines will likely revolve depending on injury and who's hot. Lines likely won't stay stable, but usually pairs are kept together