Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I was surprised at the news of Benning's extension. 

 

But I'm not surprised either, like a few other fans have been. I think in light of how the organization has drafted in previous years, this has to be the 'best' years of the organization's drafting. The point keeps being brought up that there is no GM that has hit on all of their picks 100 percent of the time. And that is certainly true. Benning has done the best he's been able to do, especially when he first came to the team. I remember he was dealt a crippled hand with the whole Kesler situation. 

 

And while he's "missed" on Juolevi and Virtanen (who may not have been the best pick at the time, but he will be a serviceable NHL player, I think), he's also hit on players like Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and perhaps Podkolzin. He's a good drafter, which is what he was brought in to do, and over the course of the last several years, Benning, has improved on other areas of his managing abilities. Yes, he's signed Eriksson, and that was a mistake looking back, but I believe he's trying to deal with that mistake. He hasn't been afraid to admit that he's made mistakes with certain acquisitions, that's better than a GM that doubles down, and refuses to admit their mistake. 

 

I'm looking forward to this upcoming season. FINALLY, it feels like we may be on an upswing, and not wasting the fruitful and productive years of Brock, Bo, Petey and Hughes. That's our core moving forward, maybe Podkolzin when he eventually gets here. 

 

Jim's deserved this extension. I don't know how long his new extension is (2 years was the rumor?), but we'll see after that whether he gets a longer leash, or not. But this is a vote of confidence by the owners for sure. This is good news as well, because organizations need stability. Changing GM's every couple of years is a recipe for disaster. 

 

At least we're not Edmonton :P

'

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Nice but unfortunately there like Trump and don't understand facts, but keep up the great public service:towel:Image result for donald trump

ever notice gillis kinda looks and sounds like trump  Image result for mike gillis

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the grinder said:

 

ever notice gillis kinda looks and sounds like trump  Image result for mike gillis

Yup full of sh*t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Jb -  so i got an extension

 

i guess i didnt need to trade a first round pick then to save my job

 

my bad.  Oops 

In Hindsight it seems like maybe JB knew he was getting an extension only a matter of dotting " ï  " etc. when he Traded away next years or the year afters first along with taking a the tenth pick that he might have no control over for the next 2 years . Not that good looking for a new job resume if you knew you were leaving . That was my first thought when I heard the trade . Liking it a lot more now after hearing he will be staying  and I have heard more about both JT Miller and Podkolzin  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I was surprised at the news of Benning's extension. 

 

But I'm not surprised either, like a few other fans have been. I think in light of how the organization has drafted in previous years, this has to be the 'best' years of the organization's drafting. The point keeps being brought up that there is no GM that has hit on all of their picks 100 percent of the time. And that is certainly true. Benning has done the best he's been able to do, especially when he first came to the team. I remember he was dealt a crippled hand with the whole Kesler situation. 

 

And while he's "missed" on Juolevi and Virtanen (who may not have been the best pick at the time, but he will be a serviceable NHL player, I think), he's also hit on players like Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and perhaps Podkolzin. He's a good drafter, which is what he was brought in to do, and over the course of the last several years, Benning, has improved on other areas of his managing abilities. Yes, he's signed Eriksson, and that was a mistake looking back, but I believe he's trying to deal with that mistake. He hasn't been afraid to admit that he's made mistakes with certain acquisitions, that's better than a GM that doubles down, and refuses to admit their mistake. 

 

I'm looking forward to this upcoming season. FINALLY, it feels like we may be on an upswing, and not wasting the fruitful and productive years of Brock, Bo, Petey and Hughes. That's our core moving forward, maybe Podkolzin when he eventually gets here. 

 

Jim's deserved this extension. I don't know how long his new extension is (2 years was the rumor?), but we'll see after that whether he gets a longer leash, or not. But this is a vote of confidence by the owners for sure. This is good news as well, because organizations need stability. Changing GM's every couple of years is a recipe for disaster. 

 

At least we're not Edmonton :P

'

Agree with everything except I do think JV has improved every year and will continue to do so and be a top 6 winger someday when all  is said and done and with OJ hip fixed I can't wait to see what his potential is again  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Wasting your time with this guy, he's a hater no fixing stupid

Yeah, seems that way unfortunately! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IRR said:

And you’re negative / ignorant!!! Don’t like everything Jim’s done, fine! But, you can at least acknowledge the things he’s done well and it far outweighs the negative! You have to be blind, def and dumb not to recognize it!!

Learn to read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You people are so blind. 

 

Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away the core which would have replenished all of the lost picks he used. 

 

Wah wah Gillis traded away picks to make a cup run and didn't refill the cupboards even though when he tried he got fired. 

 

Like I said repeatedly, jb has only done 1/3 of his job well. He doesn't deserve an extension until after this season if the progress continues, but he got one so I sure hope it does anyway. 

 

After coming on here and reading all your posts I never have to wonder why the rest of the world mocks canuck fans like you. Zero respect for the man who took us to game 7, blind faith in a man who has proven nothing. 

 

Makes me sick. 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Learn to read

Learn not to be an negative idiot!!! And it’s more than 1/3!! Do you even follow / understand hockey?! 

  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I was surprised at the news of Benning's extension. 

 

But I'm not surprised either, like a few other fans have been. I think in light of how the organization has drafted in previous years, this has to be the 'best' years of the organization's drafting. The point keeps being brought up that there is no GM that has hit on all of their picks 100 percent of the time. And that is certainly true. Benning has done the best he's been able to do, especially when he first came to the team. I remember he was dealt a crippled hand with the whole Kesler situation. 

 

And while he's "missed" on Juolevi and Virtanen (who may not have been the best pick at the time, but he will be a serviceable NHL player, I think), he's also hit on players like Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and perhaps Podkolzin. He's a good drafter, which is what he was brought in to do, and over the course of the last several years, Benning, has improved on other areas of his managing abilities. Yes, he's signed Eriksson, and that was a mistake looking back, but I believe he's trying to deal with that mistake. He hasn't been afraid to admit that he's made mistakes with certain acquisitions, that's better than a GM that doubles down, and refuses to admit their mistake. 

 

I'm looking forward to this upcoming season. FINALLY, it feels like we may be on an upswing, and not wasting the fruitful and productive years of Brock, Bo, Petey and Hughes. That's our core moving forward, maybe Podkolzin when he eventually gets here. 

 

Jim's deserved this extension. I don't know how long his new extension is (2 years was the rumor?), but we'll see after that whether he gets a longer leash, or not. But this is a vote of confidence by the owners for sure. This is good news as well, because organizations need stability. Changing GM's every couple of years is a recipe for disaster. 

 

At least we're not Edmonton :P

'

lol  ok  this 'missed" on Virtanen and OJ   really needs to stop   ,   how long did it take the sedins or even naslund to really get it in the nhl and start producing?  5 to 6 years  is your memory that short ?  I remember seeing in the sedins  in their first few years   they were terrible , couldn't skate fell down every time they got hit  , trade the sedins  everyone one said ,  aren't you glad  we didn't trade them?    the sedins were 25 when they started producing  so lets not forget that  ok

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You people are so blind. 

 

Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away the core which would have replenished all of the lost picks he used. 

 

Wah wah Gillis traded away picks to make a cup run and didn't refill the cupboards even though when he tried he got fired. 

 

Like I said repeatedly, jb has only done 1/3 of his job well. He doesn't deserve an extension until after this season if the progress continues, but he got one so I sure hope it does anyway. 

 

After coming on here and reading all your posts I never have to wonder why the rest of the world mocks canuck fans like you. Zero respect for the man who took us to game 7, blind faith in a man who has proven nothing. 

 

Makes me sick. 

Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away the core which would have replenished all of the lost picks he used.  Confused the core that he gave all no trade clauses to? 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol  ok  this 'missed" on Virtanen and OJ   really needs to stop   ,   how long did it take the sedins or even naslund to really get it in the nhl and start producing?  5 to 6 years  is your memory that short ?  I remember seeing in the sedins  in their first few years   they were terrible , couldn't skate fell down every time they got hit  , trade the sedins  everyone one said ,  aren't you glad  we didn't trade them?    the sedins were 25 when they started producing  so lets not forget that  ok

He's trolling

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.