The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

yep his logic and his buddy logic is just laughable ,  as soon you catch on to their bs and they cant spin doctor it   they hide lol

Since he likes del lanes i have some del shannon for him :bigblush:

As I walk along, I wonder
A what went wrong whit our love
A love that was so strong
And as I still walk on
I think of the thing's we've done
Together, while our hearts were young
I'm a walkin' in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel a pain
A wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery
And I wonder, I wa wa wa wa wonder
Why a why why why why why
She ran away
And I wonder where she will stay
My little runaway
My run run run run runaway
To end this misery
And I wonder, I wa wa wa wa wonder
Why a why why why why why
She ran awayway
And I wonder where she will stay
My little runaway
A run run run run
Runaway

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The 1st for Miller is fine and yes Miller>>>Nyquist and a 1st 

So then you think having Miller instead of Nyquist is the difference between us making or missing the playoffs? 

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

We'll never become a consistent playoff team if we refuse to move any picks or anything to get better. And the quality players are usually found through trades not free agency. Yes he is a complimentary guy but that doesn't mean he won't be a key player for us. Hansen and Higgins were "complimentary" guys and without them we don't get to the finals. 

Also, there's no telling if Nyquist even signs here. And it's clear based on the guys Benning is bringing in that he has a view of who he wants complimenting the top 6. Miller could be a very good fit with Bo or Petey or even on the 3rd line with lots of special teams minutes. Whereas Nyquist can only really fit on Petey's line. He is a big body, a competitor, and a very solid two way guy.

This team needs to start getting better and that can't be done purely through the draft and other people's castaways in free agency. After last season it's clear this team has a really good foundation in Bo, Petey, Boeser and Hughes (honourable mention to Demko and Juolevi). Time to start surrounding them with good quality "complimentary" players to get to the post-season which only further helps their development which helps this team get to that consistent playoff team spot. Miller on his own was not enough to make this team a playoff team but with Myers, Benn, Ferland, a full year of Pearson and Demko, and Hughes this team on paper is much, much better than last season. I'm willing to bet that first rounder people are crying about will be in the late teens/early 20s as early as this season, if not I bet all the money in my pocket they'll be playoff bound next season. Miller will quietly be a big reason why. 

This team can't be a rebuilding team forever, we gotta take strides to be better and that is not just through the draft but through smart trading and quality free agents. If that 1st rounder becomes top 5 I will leave the forum forever. Maybe. I kinda like it here.

I agree with alot of things your saying here. But I think my question is whether the team is at the point of those pieces (at the premium price paid) putting us over the top.

You say how will we get better if we don't move picks and things. Well, we've already been doing that since Benning got here. That's part of my problem with this. Long term Pettersson & Horvat are franchise & 1B centers that give us the opportunity to be a top contender. But do we have the rest of the supporting cast? Podkolzin helps in a few years but what about the back end? That's my main concern long term.

You can say I'm 'whining' about draft picks. But the league is different now, players enter the league younger & hit their primes younger than ever before. The draft is the most important its ever been. Edmonton and Buffalo thought they needed to make that step too & trade younger pieces, doesn't always work out. (not saying that will happen in our case).

Every year there are good top 4 drafted in the middle of the 1st round & beyond. Guys that can play a year after being drafted even. 4 out of Bennings 6 1sts (Podkolzin aside) played in the NHL a year after being picked. Noah Dobson & Ty Smith were taken in the middle of the first round a year ago & will likely be in the NHL next season. Look at years prior. Chychurn, McAvoy, Sanheim, Chabot, Valimaki, Jokiharju, Fabbro, exc. These guys are out there every year and we have a good scouting staff that get us one.

I don't want us to 'rebuild forever', its frustrating that we suffered for 3-4 years & didn't get any further ahead than our 1 allotted top 10 pick. I'm extremely excited for the season, I love adding Ferland, I think Miller we be a good player for us. But I'm looking at this long term thinking are we going to be a good playoff team or are we going to be a great team? I want a Stanley cup, I want to see Pettersson & Hughes in the final. I don't want us to come up short because we didn't have the extra players & assets around them to get there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

The only contract that we really 'need' to get rid of (before it's natural expiration anyway) is the Eriksson one (and even it is more of a STRONG want than an outright need).

There's plenty of cap coming off naturally, from expiring contracts the next few years. Not only that but some kids are bound to make even some of those expendable via trade sooner than later. And we'll be losing another contract in the ED as well.

Add Seattle expansion and the new TV deal boosting cap and I'm not really concerned. We're incredibly well positioned IMO.

Even the Luongo recapture (while certainly EXTREMELY annoying on principal as much as anything else) could be a bit of a blessing in disguise. It's almost like a forced savings plan for when the team could arguably use a boost of cap space (we should be truly competitive by then).

Incredible well positioned for what? To re-sign our players or sign our core AND add good prime aged players that want to come here. Like we did with Hamhuis & Malhotra for example.

You say cap is rising but player salaries will also rise. That works both ways. Pettersson alone will probably be an 11 million dollar player. If not more depending where the cap/market goes. 

We gotta be more prudent with our money moving forward, is my point. Can't be paying 20 million (1/4th the cap) for forwards who score less than 30 points a season. When Pettersson & Hughes are making big money. (+ what Boeser gets + what we pay our legit starter whether it be Marky now or hopefully Demko down the road) we need to spend the rest of our money wisely. That 2011 team would've never happened if you had Eriksson or Beagles or Sutters. Every cap dollar was maximized. That what we are going to need to get back too in the next couple years. Contracts will come off the books, Benning will have the opportunity, but he'll have to do a little better with the cap than we he has so far.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Incredible well positioned for what? To re-sign our players or sign our core AND add good prime aged players that want to come here. Like we did with Hamhuis & Malhotra for example.

You say cap is rising but player salaries will also rise. That works both ways. Pettersson alone will probably be an 11 million dollar player. If not more depending where the cap/market goes. 

We gotta be more prudent with our money moving forward, is my point. Can't be paying 20 million (1/4th the cap) for forwards who score less than 30 points a season. When Pettersson & Hughes are making big money. (+ what Boeser gets + what we pay our legit starter whether it be Marky now or hopefully Demko down the road) we need to spend the rest of our money wisely. That 2011 team would've never happened if you had Eriksson or Beagles or Sutters. Every cap dollar was maximized. That what we are going to need to get back too in the next couple years. Contracts will come off the books, Benning will have the opportunity, but he'll have to do a little better with the cap than we he has so far.

Great post.  So many fans that post here really have no vision as to how to build a Cup contending team.

So many on this site are just hoping to sell the future of our club if it can make us a . 16-22nd overall place club.

Great to see more knowledgeable fans making posts now on the forum.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great post.  So many fans that post here really have no vision as to how to build a Cup contending team.

So many on this site are just hoping to sell the future of our club if it can make us a . 16-22nd overall place club.

Great to see more knowledgeable fans making posts now on the forum.

Well it feels like there's been this idea that 'it doesn't matter' that we've overpaid because we've been bad.

And ok fine. When your bad you'll have to overpay here and there, but now we are supposed to be good right? Rebuild's over? We can't rebuild forever right? (I'm told b/c I'm iffy about giving up a 1st). Well then we gotta have that same approach with our cap space. 

This is it. Pettersson is a franchise player, Horvat is a 1B center, Hughes has elite OFD potential, Brock Boeser is one of the better one shot scorers in the game. We need to capitalize on this. There's a core you can build a winner around. I don't want to see us a good playoff team that can never take the next step. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bo for Makar in a couple years is the kind of trade I see benefiting both teams.  It’s like the RJ ... Seth Jones trade.  That helped both teams.  

Listening to spitting chicklets podcast last week with Nate McKinnon. He said Makar is elite already. Future Norris franchise type player. They picked a beauty. Never say never but sounds like he will end up an untouchable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well it feels like there's been this idea that 'it doesn't matter' that we've overpaid because we've been bad.

And ok fine. When your bad you'll have to overpay here and there, but now we are supposed to be good right? Rebuild's over? We can't rebuild forever right? (I'm told b/c I'm iffy about giving up a 1st). Well then we gotta have that same approach with our cap space. 

This is it. Pettersson is a franchise player, Horvat is a 1B center, Hughes has elite OFD potential, Brock Boeser is one of the better one shot scorers in the game. We need to capitalize on this. There's a core you can build a winner around. I don't want to see us a good playoff team that can never take the next step. 

1.) We didn’t overpay...but it’s absolutely fair to want to be conservative with 1st round picks. 

2.) What the bejunk is a good playoff team that can’t take the next step? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

1.) We didn’t overpay...but it’s absolutely fair to want to be conservative with 1st round picks. 

2.) What the bejunk is a good playoff team that can’t take the next step? 

Sorry. I meant overpay as far as contracts and free agent signings. Basically cap space. Not trade. Should've specified.

A good team that makes the playoffs year after year but can't get over the hump and truly compete for the title. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sorry. I meant overpay as far as contracts and free agent signings. Basically cap space. Not trade. Should've specified.

A good team that makes the playoffs year after year but can't get over the hump and truly compete for the title. 

That’s fair.  I think we’ve got the foundation to be a team that will make noise for a few years.... making it over the hump is always the difficult part!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We're well positioned to do whatever we want really. And I'm well aware of what Pettersson might cost.

Still completely wiffing on the time and place of those guys I see. The reason we have them and we're paying them what we are is situational. You're still failing to grasp that. It wasn't a a lack of prudence.

They all expire over the next few years FYI.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

That’s fair.  I think we’ve got the foundation to be a team that will make noise for a few years.... making it over the hump is always the difficult part!

I agree. For the most part they've done a very good job selecting players with our high picks. I really believe in this core & think it has championship potential.

Just think we are lacking some assets. Basically the margin for error going forward (compared to before) is much thinner.

Hopefully JB can make a really shrewd move or two. That could vault us from a bubble team to a legit playoff team that could contend from there.

Just now, aGENT said:

We're well positioned to do whatever we want really. And I'm well aware of what Pettersson might cost.

Still completely wiffing on the time and place of those guys I see. The reason we have them and we're paying them what we are is situational. You're still failing to grasp that. It wasn't a a lack of prudence.

They all expire over the next few years FYI.

When Pettersson and Hughes expire we'll have 30 million in cap space. Pettersson will take 1/3rd of that. That's also not including Boeser, or any other trades/signings they make in the interim.

Tyson Barrie will probably be a free agent next year, he'd look really good on our blueline if we could free up the cap space for it. But at this point I don't think your moving Eriksson without taking a contract back. So Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, exc. are probably the supporting players we're going to have for a few years now. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

When Pettersson and Hughes expire we'll have 30 million in cap space. Pettersson will take 1/3rd of that. That's also not including Boeser, or any other trades/signings they make in the interim.

Tyson Barrie will probably be a free agent next year, he'd look really good on our blueline if we could free up the cap space for it. But at this point I don't think your moving Eriksson without taking a contract back. So Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, exc. are probably the supporting players we're going to have for a few years now. 

You have no idea who we will or won't move to effect that $30m in cap space between now and then.

And Eriksson is the only one worth worrying about. You're not going to find anyone claiming he's not an issue. I Iave zero problems with Beagle, Myers etc as our complimentary guys.

He might. Or we might not need him and may be making space for Tryamkin, Juolevi etc and have no space for him.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Regarding the posts I read prior to my original post, yes people were crying about him not restocking the prospect pool for the future, because of the moves he made to make that team a favorite and best chance in a long time to win their 1st Stanley Cup.

It's like you guys would of rather the Canucks just been a competitive team instead of a favorite to win the cup.... and more worried about the future down the road then win a cup now mentality. Which is really weird especially since we haven't won a cup, but hey who cares it's so easy to get back there right..... 

not at all   we understand why gillis did the the moves he made   and we understand why the prospect pool was depleted   because of a cup run  we get it  , we understand why ntc clause were handed out  to lower the price in a exchange  for  a player stability ,   some people are wondering why the rebuild has taken 4 years  so I am trying to explain ,      when the core is stale   and they have ntc  it is much more difficult  to trade the core  for draft picks   ,  

the prospect pool   ok   mike gillis regime  the drafting record wasn't great  except for Horvat ,Schneider  that's ok   we get it  ,  but when rebuilding and there is nothing in the pool again it gonna take time to  restock the pool.   

we understand the cup window is only open so long  but when it closes , it gonna take time  to get back  there  especially when the stale core has ntc  and there is no prospect pool  so basically starting from ground zero till now   gmjb  has done a pretty good job from what he had to start with    that's all     

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You have no idea who we will or won't move to effect that $30m in cap space between now and then.

And Eriksson is the only one worth worrying about. You're not going to find anyone claiming he's not an issue. I Iave zero problems with Beagle, Myers etc as our complimentary guys.

He might. Or we might not need him and may be making space for Tryamkin, Juolevi etc and have no space for him.

I know we are going to sign Hughes & Boeser. Boeser will come in around 7. Hughes will come in at a minimum of 4-5 but probably more. Then there's Stecher & both goaltenders to figure out in that time.

You don't know whats going to happen beyond that either, but these young players are coming closer to their 2nd contract than we think. Boeser & Hughes both burned years. Stech is around the corner, and Petey will be paid like a franchise player. I'd love to be able to sign those guys & still have plenty of space to add a marquee UFA or make a trade. 

If your fine with Beagle & Myers then fine, personally I do like Myers, but would rather be paying a premium to better players than Beagle. The jury is definitely out on Myers, we'll see if he can flourish with more opportunity.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

You do realize he has an agent which handles the negations.

Sucks his dads sick to bad the canucks did treat him like the star player he is and sign him early so it would be one less thing he’d have to have on his mind at this time. 

.,   wow  you are absolutely unbelievable, his dad has cancer not a cold ,     you do  know the agent still has talk to brock   right ?    we still have a month  unbelievable 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, teepain said:

Benning getting players hard to play against with some skill. Good combo if you ask me. We are going back to the playoffs , and we got a lineup for it too now

Don't want to settle for 4 playoff games a year.  Want a cup.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, teepain said:

Benning getting players hard to play against with some skill. Good combo if you ask me. We are going back to the playoffs , and we got a lineup for it too now

It seems like that is one of the things they really look for which I really like, tough to play against and good character. Perfect! I remember him saying that there are players who will play in the NHL and then there are players you can win with. Slowly but surely they have been adding the latter......

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:
Since he likes del lanes i have some del shannon for him :bigblush:

As I walk along, I wonder
A what went wrong whit our love
A love that was so strong
And as I still walk on
I think of the thing's we've done
Together, while our hearts were young
To end this misery