The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

The 3rd purpose of course......to shut up the media.....we like Jimmy so quit slinging mud!  And the timing lets the brou-ha-ha die down before camp starts.

Hell, I might even tune into Sekeres tomorrow to listen to him whine.....it could be one of the more satisfying and entertaining shows of the season.  :bigblush:

:lol::lol: +1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We won the presidents trophy in 2011/12 and lost out to LA after a cheapshot by Duncan Keith took Daniel Sedin out for a couple weeks.

No way in hell ownership signs off on a rebuild after winning the presidents trophy... Give your head a shake.

Easy to use hindsight where we should have started the rebuild, but at the time it honestly would have made little sense. 

By 2013 the Canucks had gone 1-8 in playoffs the last 2 years...  writing was on the wall. 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

By 2013 the Canucks had gone 1-8 in playoffs the last 2 years...  writing was on the wall. 

Again, hindsight.

If Daniel wasn't taken out by Keith we would have beat LA or at least taken the series to 7 games. Again you have to look at the whole picture not just a few numbers...

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

For those of who went through the 80s, we know how different it was.  Year after year there seemed to be no hope, as there were no top prospects on the way or anything.  At least this time around, we could see things being built and improvements made, through the draft, trades, and signings.

The one top prospect we had we traded for a then broken Barry Pederson 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

LOL - where is the constant improvement.  Did you dream that up as well ?  

Do you see Jouls being top 4 D .  Do you see Virt as a top 6  D?

I see Myers as being a top 4 D

I see Myers and Benn as an Upgrade on Stecher and Hutton

I see Ferland and Miller as an upgrade over Goldobin and Leivo

I appreciate other opinions but as IRR said you are just looking to argue. I pass. You offer nothing other than frustration for everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The Miller move is the one I'm still not crazy about. I like Miller alot as a player, but to me that cap space couldve been used to sign Nyquist & we keep our first. 

The team is on the rise, but so far still projected to miss for the 5th year in a row. That pick will be unprotected at some point, and Millers really a complimentary player, so it's a risk. 

If we were a consistent playoff team then trading a first for a guy we thought could be a missing piece is one thing. But we still might not have the pieces to be that yet. Outside of Hughes all our D prospects have question marks. 

We'll never become a consistent playoff team if we refuse to move any picks or anything to get better. And the quality players are usually found through trades not free agency. Yes he is a complimentary guy but that doesn't mean he won't be a key player for us. Hansen and Higgins were "complimentary" guys and without them we don't get to the finals. 

Also, there's no telling if Nyquist even signs here. And it's clear based on the guys Benning is bringing in that he has a view of who he wants complimenting the top 6. Miller could be a very good fit with Bo or Petey or even on the 3rd line with lots of special teams minutes. Whereas Nyquist can only really fit on Petey's line. He is a big body, a competitor, and a very solid two way guy.

This team needs to start getting better and that can't be done purely through the draft and other people's castaways in free agency. After last season it's clear this team has a really good foundation in Bo, Petey, Boeser and Hughes (honourable mention to Demko and Juolevi). Time to start surrounding them with good quality "complimentary" players to get to the post-season which only further helps their development which helps this team get to that consistent playoff team spot. Miller on his own was not enough to make this team a playoff team but with Myers, Benn, Ferland, a full year of Pearson and Demko, and Hughes this team on paper is much, much better than last season. I'm willing to bet that first rounder people are crying about will be in the late teens/early 20s as early as this season, if not I bet all the money in my pocket they'll be playoff bound next season. Miller will quietly be a big reason why. 

This team can't be a rebuilding team forever, we gotta take strides to be better and that is not just through the draft but through smart trading and quality free agents. If that 1st rounder becomes top 5 I will leave the forum forever. Maybe. I kinda like it here.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And that's where you lost me.  This team doesn't need more soft, skilled players, they've got that covered, in spades.  Miller, Myers and Ferland are exactly what was needed

Did u see the wingers we had in the top 6 last year? Lowest scoring team in the league after Xmas. We needed all the skill we could get. Nyquist had 60 pts wouldve been our 2nd best winger last year.

Miller is a better fit I agree. But at the difference of a 1st round pick? I'm not so sure. That's the point.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

If Nyquist was willing to play here, but who truly knows.

Pretty sure Dahliwal tweet he wanted to come play with Petey but we ran out of cap space.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

You really think the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs this year with all these new additions? We didn’t just add one piece!

Too many negative Nelly’s on CDC.

Be happy that the Canucks finally have a competitive team. Miller is a 50 point player that is young and has an excellent cap hit for years to come. That first you so highly value is not comparable, especially when the Canucks are finally done with drafting a top 10 pick.

I think we'll be a bubble team. Which team that made it last year are we better than? I dont see us as better than Vegas, SJ or CGY for the division. And theres alot of good teams in the central also vying for the wildcard spots. We are on the rise but hardly a lock.

Whether that pick is top 10 or top 20 it's still a good chance to add a core piece. Theres almost always good defenseman drafted in the middle of the 1st round. Am I not allowed to be optimistic about the one area Benning has done very well at?

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sorry man Miller>>>Nyquist and its not even close. 115 hits to 36 we need a player like Miller we have enough players like Nyquist.

See response to Stawns. Miller > Nyquist but Miller > nyquist + 1st? Idk

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Twitter sure is a lot more negative compared to here. There is a whole bunch of surrey kings over there.

I think aquaman did the right choice, theres so much more beyond the standings. The restocked cupboard cant be ignored, regardless of draft position. Plus no lottery luck to boot.

I believe in this team

Twitter negativity comes from the fans following the media heads and eating the BS the media feeds them. As far as we know there are no Sportsnet and TSN media folks to vomit their negative drivel here. People on twitter can't see past the fact the media folks aren't much more special than a normal fan. Essentially the media has moved from informing people of facts to just spouting their opinion and they aren't much more informed than a normal fan. But, twitter sheep see the check mark and think "well he thinks Benning is doing a bad job so he must be doing a bad job". Twitter on the whole is just a black hole of negativity. Sucking in anything good and making it negative. You go to Twitter if you have a negative view of anything so you can be justified in that opinion with the rest of the negative folks.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Did u see the wingers we had in the top 6 last year? Lowest scoring team in the league after Xmas. We needed all the skill we could get. Nyquist had 60 pts wouldve been our 2nd best winger last year.

Miller is a better fit I agree. But at the difference of a 1st round pick? I'm not so sure. That's the point.

Pretty sure Dahliwal tweet he wanted to come play with Petey but we ran out of cap space.

I think we'll be a bubble team. Which team that made it last year are we better than? I dont see us as better than Vegas, SJ or CGY for the division. And theres alot of good teams in the central also vying for the wildcard spots. We are on the rise but hardly a lock.

Whether that pick is top 10 or top 20 it's still a good chance to add a core piece. Theres almost always good defenseman drafted in the middle of the 1st round. Am I not allowed to be optimistic about the one area Benning has done very well at?

See response to Stawns. Miller > Nyquist but Miller > nyquist + 1st? Idk

The 1st for Miller is fine and yes Miller>>>Nyquist and a 1st