The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Classic projection  - initiates the reactions with a "you people are so blind".....'I can't take it!!' :frantic:

Then over-react yourself -  make a victim of yourself as a result of the (entirely predictable) responses.

To top it off = spews political drivel / ideology - to ensure the 'conversation' achieves complete mindlessness.

The ironing is delicious / the height of projection/hypocrisy.

Well done - you got the attention you're obviously desperately seeking.

Yep! It’s unreal!! Blocked him.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is exactly what leads to problems. Impatience to want to win it all.

You have to get into the playoffs, get experience on what it takes to win the playoffs. 

Also have the depth to win a long playoff run. What it takes to win the cup generally is 3 forward lines that can score, and play against no matter what style the other team has.

You need good goaltending. And most important you need 1-2 Norris calibre d-men, and 4-5 other solid d-men. 

All 31 teams want to win the Stanley Cup. (Soon to be 32)  Only one makes it every year. 

The problem KOS you seem to have, is you think your way is the only way to get there. Last season no one thought St. Louis would win it all. They looked dead in the water.

Surprise! I don't mind what Benning is doing. Probably because I see the pattern of what he wants to do. 

A critic will always find things to be critical of. Just agree to disagree. We all want the same thing. To win a cup. We just disagree how to get there, and what mix works best.

Good post. I agree completely it takes patience to construct a contending roster. 

The starting point is your core. Usually the blueprint is two great centers, a deep defense led by a top Dman or two, and of course great goaltending.

I'd say we have a few of those things, first off the centers, and then 1 great D man. The rest and the depth beyond that is still TBD. (There are hopefuls)

Your totally right about the depth needed. This is why the draft & draft picks are always so important, even when your a good team or a team on the rise. Not just when your 'rebuilding'. Those depth players come through the draft.

Look at Washington. They drafted Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana, Burakovsky, Stephenson after they had already won a presidents trophy in '10. Plus guys like Orlov/Carlson/Holtby while they on the rise from 08-10 

STL drafted guys like Edmunson, Binnington, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Parayko way back from like '10-'12. It took awhile. 

I'm glad weve added players this summer so we can legit compete for a playoff spot, but we also need to continue to draft & build that depth. Miller, Ferland, Myers, exc. will help us for the next 3 years make the playoffs. Long term we are still going to have to continue drafting our next wave of supporting cast after them. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, wildwood12 said:

I'm glad Jim Benning got an extended contract. I cannot believe how the media is targeting him. It's amazing how Dubas in Toronto is considered a genius by putting them in Cap Hell and giving away a first round pick and it hardly gets mentioned by the press. Jim Benning in the meantime is roasted in the press daily.

I'm pulling for you Jim. You are everyones whipping boy.  Keep up the Good Work.

Indeed! I mentioned this before, but I hope they kill it this year for his sake, the players sake and the teams sake and shove it down the negative media / fans throats!!! 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

excluding lotto luck, what GM has done more in the same time frame from a similar starting point? 

bUt WhY ArE we nOt dOInG thE ToROntO meTHod?

Yeah.... how long were they at the bottom of league every year for before they got lotto lucky?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Logistics of whether or not Miller is worth a 1st, and whether or not we are a rebuilding team, I gotta say the thing I like about this is ownership is giving him a chance to not only rebuild the team but see it through to the point of making us a contender. Hopefully. Gillis' inherited most of the core guys from 2011 team and he supplemented them with good complimentary pieces. Benning will get a chance to both draft the core and hopefully surround them with complimentary guys. Which I am excited to see. 

People roast his trades and his signings, but none of the trades held the team back or were huge losses. IE Hall for Larsson, Kessel for two top 10 picks. And his signings, outside of Eriksson and even then it's not that bad, have not hurt this team's ability to sign people. Gagner and Schaller are/were short term deals so the fact they haven't worked out is not hurting the team. 

The team is in a great position going forward whether you think we should have held onto a couple more 2nd rounders. He has done a great job all things considered. Drafting has been good/great so far, free agents have been pretty decent, and trades, again, have been pretty decent. Nothing of note lost in any of his trades/free agent signings. This will be interesting time though. This is where trades and free agent signings are gonna matter more and draft picks will start to matter a bit less. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Off the top of my head, Joe Sakic? Probably just for that Duchene trade alone. I wouldnt say theres many.

He did get MacKinnon (under the old system) but we got Pettersson. 

I thought the same thing however he is really the only one.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Off the top of my head, Joe Sakic? Probably just for that Duchene trade alone. I wouldnt say theres many.

Sakic became GM with a team that had Duchene, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Landeskog and Barrie all around 22 or under. Plus guys like Paul Statsny and Erik Johnson.

MacKinnon alone is a different starting point from Benning and Benning had to use scouting and balls to make that pick at 5 (he clearly knew he wasn't rated as highly as he wanted to trade down). EP is another product of Benning and crew (while again not winning the lottery, but taking fate in his own hands and stealing the lottery money).

Despite starting around the same time, they've only squeaked into the playoffs the last couple of years with a decent core/tradable pieces already in place. Not knocking on Sakic's work, but he gets a lot of praise here that he wouldn't have had he done the same here (see Benning). If MacKinnon hadn't found a new level to his game, I don't think the Avs even make the playoffs the last couple of seasons either.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We would have been a bubble team already last year had we been healthy.

Jim Benning essentially went all in for a playoff push this offseason. We are a cap team that sacrificed a future first rounder and dropped about 15 mill on new assets. If Bennings investments don't push us into the playoffs and he isn't fired it'll be because the man is an oversized sock puppet who the Aquilinis shake every once in a while to make him say and do what they want. 

He didn't really go 'all in' though. And you're still being far too reductive. Reality is bound to have a whole lot more shades of grey than your allowing for.

50 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm glad weve added players this summer so we can legit compete for a playoff spot, but we also need to continue to draft & build that depth. Miller, Ferland, Myers, exc. will help us for the next 3 years make the playoffs. Long term we are still going to have to continue drafting our next wave of supporting cast after them. 

Who's arguing otherwise? What suggests we won't?

20 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sakic's also had some pretty large horse shoes up his kiester in comparison to Benning as well as a lot of extra years of high draft picks to make things like the Duchenne trade available in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

yeah that would probably be one GM thats done a bit better, but he did also have better talent to move in trades too. 

Jim is what he is, I do think the the good well outweighs the bad, and I like stability right now for seeing this particular rebuild through. At least if this one goes sideways there's better talent to move. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

excluding lotto luck, what GM has done more in the same time frame from a similar starting point? 

Toronto has had a 1st OA and signed one of the best centerman in the league which has now handicapped them from have a decent defence and signing Marner.  But Dubas is a media darling!

• Cheers 4

Imo too much is being made of  our drafting ,

Boeser -  (drafted exacted where he was expected )

EP - (Hockey prospects had him #5 and Mckenzie right there) He was listed as #2 European  - Sure glad they drafted him

Hughes -  fell to us

I was thinking before Benning was good, but they weren't drafting anyone way out of their rankings

They missed on earlier drafts 

Benning has stated that the guys above were pushed by his scouts and gave credit to them

Canucks have had much more opportunity to draft higher draft picks in every round in many years, so naturally we should get some players

You don't need all 1st rounds to make a Great team

The Greatest of all Canucks Teams had late draft picks and  trades !!

D Sedin - #2

H Sedin -  #3

Kesler -  #23

Burrows -  Undrafted

Raymond  - #51

Edler -  #91

Hanson -  #287

Bieska -  #151

Rypien -  undrafted

Tanev -  Undrafted

We need to see our late picks ( and not only the no brainer, expected picks ) to develop and perform and get Chemistry and build a great team

Acquiring tough players has been needed (If the refs don't punish us foolishly, on every hit out hungry fan base cheers on)

But we need late draft picks to make a BIG contribution to our club like the ones mentioned above and be steals for us !

3 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Imo too much is being made of  our drafting ,

Boeser -  (drafted exacted where he was expected )

EP - (Hockey prospects had him #5 and Mckenzie right there) He was listed as #2 European  - Sure glad they drafted him

Hughes -  fell to us

I was thinking before Benning was good, but they weren't drafting anyone way out of their rankings

They missed on earlier drafts 

Benning has stated that the guys above were pushed by his scouts and gave credit to them

Canucks have had much more opportunity to draft higher draft picks in every round in many years, so naturally we should get some players

You don't need all 1st rounds to make a Great team

The Greatest of all Canucks Teams had late draft picks and  trades !!

D Sedin - #2

H Sedin -  #3

Kesler -  #23

Burrows -  Undrafted

Raymond  - #51

Edler -  #91

Hanson -  #287

Bieska -  #151

Rypien -  undrafted

Tanev -  Undrafted

We need to see our late picks ( and not only the no brainer, expected picks ) to develop and perform and get Chemistry and build a great team

Acquiring tough players has been needed (If the refs don't punish us foolishly, on every hit out hungry fan base cheers on)

But we need late draft picks to make a BIG contribution to our club like the ones mentioned above and be steals for us !

You mean like some of...

Gaudette, Madden, Jasek, Stecher, Tryamkin, Woo, Demko, DiPietro, Rathbone, Hoglander, Brisebois, MacEwan etc?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Congrats to Benning.

Canuck fans have such low expectations from what they expect from the clubs management team.......

Add a  5/6 D man and a 4th line forward and Canuck Fans think we have the top GM in the NHL ......

Benning will most likely be fired next April if the club misses the playoffs once again. 

• Wat 3

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canuck fans have such low expectations from what they expect from the clubs management team.......

Add a  5/6 D man and a 4th line forward and Canuck Fans think we have the top GM in the NHL ......

Benning will most likely be fired next April if the club misses the playoffs once again. 

You're still here?

Of course Benning can still be fired, but why not at least give him the chance to see the team that he's made do something first?

Also, 5/6 dman and a 4th liner? We added Myers who is a top 4 albeit probably a #4, Benn who fits your criteria of being a 5/6, a legit top 6 in Miller through trade and a top 9 forward that can play up and down the line up in Ferland.

I feel like your hate for Benning is blinding you to the fact that the actual players he signed are good pieces.

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is debatable. The playoff bar last year was so low and we still finished well outside. And even that stronger finish last year hinged entirely on Markstrom's goaltending. If he wasnt elite it couldve very well been a bottom 5 team. This year we will he much improved I agree. But him continuing that elite play is an absolute must to get in.

Vegas is a cup contender.

SJ lost Pavelski but still have a playoff team. Karlsson, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, Meier, exc. It's still a good roster.

Calgary will take a step back but should still be a playoff team. Still have Gaudreau & Gio. Plus a deep defense.

Winning a division spot will be tough. But aside from Arizona we are better than all the other teams.

Arizona had 4 more wins & 5 more points than us last year with worse injuries than we had. And theyve improved. I wouldnt totally write them off as a playoff team.

We'll be compete with AZ & the Central teams for 2 spots. And the central teams might be the bigger challenge.

It won't be easy. Some things will have to go in our favour like injuries, markstrom, and Petey taking a big step IMO.

It's not debatable, we were. We also had a winning record against tougher divisions. 

The fact that the point totals in the west were slightly lower is irrelevant. We were still a bubble team. Point totals from previous seasons have nothing to do with a current season.