The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This has to be the dumbest argument I've ever seen. I'm not even someone that's super hot on the Miller trade, but one only has to look at the stats to see what a complete load of horse crap this argument is.

The first pic is a snapshot of Miller's stats from the last 4 seasons. The second  is a pic of Virtanen's stat sheet over his last 4 NHL seasons.

I know I don't need to spell it out this plainly for 99% of the board, but for the "special" 1% that do need it spelled out for them, there it is. 

You see, there are these things called assists. JT Miller has accumulated quite a few of them over his relatively young NHL career. Jake Virtanen has not. Eriksson in his time here as not. Also, Miller was averaging over 20 goals a season before being pushed down the lineup of an absolutely stacked Tampa team. So one can see how referring to Millier as a "13 goal scorer" is pretty intellectually dishonest. 

Also, it needs to be mentioned that Miller's best season in terms of goal scoring was actually 23 goals. He scored 13 with the New York Rangers before being traded to Tampa and put up 10 with the Lightning before the season ended. 

It literally just takes grade 1 level math to figure that out. 

miller stats..png

jake.png

Exactly!!! I can’t understand for the life of me what this guys deal is. Everything is so clear, but he gets none of it. 

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This has to be the dumbest argument I've ever seen. I'm not even someone that's super hot on the Miller trade, 

\

Who would be super hot on getting a 13 goal a year goal scorer and giving up a First Round pick  that could turn out to be a lottery pick......

Who would be super hot on that deal...... ?  Sounds like a team desperate for a few playoff home games that is willing to see out the long term interests of the club....

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Who would be super hot on getting a 13 goal a year goal scorer and giving up a First Round pick  that could turn out to be a lottery pick......

Who would be super hot on that deal...... ?  Sounds like a team desperate for a few playoff home games that is willing to see out the long term interests of the club....

I like the Miller trade.  When a team has a young core, that us ready to compete for the playoffs it’s time to use first round picks to support those players.  Whether JB used that first now or a year from now is the key.  I think a lot of teams wait too long to use their picks, and their window closes.  Miller is 26.  He’s big, fast, skilled, and high compete.  He will compliment Bo.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Who you say. Only about 95% of those here. The other 5% just need to open their mind and eyes. 

• Cheers 4
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Did u see the wingers we had in the top 6 last year? Lowest scoring team in the league after Xmas. We needed all the skill we could get. Nyquist had 60 pts wouldve been our 2nd best winger last year.

Miller is a better fit I agree. But at the difference of a 1st round pick? I'm not so sure. That's the point.

Pretty sure Dahliwal tweet he wanted to come play with Petey but we ran out of cap space.

I think we'll be a bubble team. Which team that made it last year are we better than? I dont see us as better than Vegas, SJ or CGY for the division. And theres alot of good teams in the central also vying for the wildcard spots. We are on the rise but hardly a lock.

Whether that pick is top 10 or top 20 it's still a good chance to add a core piece. Theres almost always good defenseman drafted in the middle of the 1st round. Am I not allowed to be optimistic about the one area Benning has done very well at?

See response to Stawns. Miller > Nyquist but Miller > nyquist + 1st? Idk

I think they'll be a bubble team as well

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are in a group that thinks we should never use draft picks to make a deal. I get that. What I don’t understand is you seem to think. you know more about building a competitive hockey team than our GM.

You should come down from your Ivory Tower and apply for the job and see if you can get Jim Bennings job.

• Cheers 2

benning's rebuild will flesh out to have, lind, podkolzin and maybe macewen on the right side; hoglander on the left side; gaudette and madden at centre; woo, juolevi, brisebois and tryamkin on his defense. the place holders he has assembled will hold their spots until they are ready. then lets judge the job he has done. you add in ferland, miller, pearson, myers, benn, beagle, baertschi, sutter, leivo, stecher, pettersson, boeser, motte and roussel and i think the future looks bright.  horvat, tanev and edler were already here.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I have lived a 49 year Canucks bubble and I can tell you there have been worse periods of time than this. Here there is hope for the year coming. At times before Pat Quinn there was no hope and a threat the team would move

yep exactly   4 years from not making the playoffs is nothing  like 82 to 94   lol

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep exactly   4 years from not making the playoffs is nothing  like 82 to 94   lol

Until we drafted Linden our best players were rarely guys we drafted.  We traded our young guys (and picks) for older guys.  We really were terrible fir a very long time.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

#shouldveletgillisrebuild.

Granted, this can only be said with the benefit of hindsight. No owner in the league would allow a rebuild after back-to-back President's Trophies.

• Cheers 3