The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's not debatable, we were. We also had a winning record against tougher divisions. 

The fact that the point totals in the west were slightly lower is irrelevant. We were still a bubble team. Point totals from previous seasons have nothing to do with a current season. 

They were 9 points out. A bubble team is right there within striking distance till the end. We were out weeks before the end of the season. We finished 12th in the conference & were basically as far away from last in the west as we were to the last playoff spot.

I'm not saying we arent much improved this season from last. Never said that once. Is just q little disingenuous to act like we were right on the edge till the very end.

We were in a playoff spot with a month or two left, with opportunities to make up ground on the other teams & dropped the ball. Without Markstrom we wouldve been much closer to LA than Colorado.

Its a good thing we bolstered our offense this off season b/c it really cost us down the stretch last year.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They were 9 points out. A bubble team is right there within striking distance till the end. We were out weeks before the end of the season. We finished 12th in the conference & were basically as far away from last in the west as we were to the last playoff spot.

I'm not saying we arent much improved this season from last. Never said that once. Is just q little disingenuous to act like we were right on the edge till the very end.

We were in a playoff spot with a month or two left, with opportunities to make up ground on the other teams & dropped the ball. Without Markstrom we wouldve been much closer to LA than Colorado.

Its a good thing we bolstered our offense this off season b/c it really cost us down the stretch last year.

Point totals have risen every year and we have added 2 good forwards, 2 good dmen, and get a full season with Hughes, Pearson and Baertschi. Wadr you're selling the team real short 

I also said bubble team until injuries piled up. Healthy we were a bubble team, period. 

Edited by canuck73_3

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You mean like some of...

Gaudette, Madden, Jasek, Stecher, Tryamkin, Woo, Demko, DiPietro, Rathbone, Hoglander, Brisebois, MacEwan etc?

Hopefully, but you're comparing long time NHLers with a bunch of maybes (and Stecher). 

59 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canuck fans have such low expectations from what they expect from the clubs management team.......

Add a  5/6 D man and a 4th line forward and Canuck Fans think we have the top GM in the NHL ......

Benning will most likely be fired next April IF the club misses the playoffs once again. 

Nobody knows how the season will unfold but most agree that the future don’t look so bleak and we have the makings of a very exciting young team.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, the grinder said:

not at all   we understand why gillis did the the moves he made   and we understand why the prospect pool was depleted   because of a cup run  we get it  , we understand why ntc clause were handed out  to lower the price in a exchange  for  a player stability ,   some people are wondering why the rebuild has taken 4 years  so I am trying to explain ,      when the core is stale   and they have ntc  it is much more difficult  to trade the core  for draft picks   ,  

the prospect pool   ok   mike gillis regime  the drafting record wasn't great  except for Horvat ,Schneider  that's ok   we get it  ,  but when rebuilding and there is nothing in the pool again it gonna take time to  restock the pool.   

we understand the cup window is only open so long  but when it closes , it gonna take time  to get back  there  especially when the stale core has ntc  and there is no prospect pool  so basically starting from ground zero till now   gmjb  has done a pretty good job from what he had to start with    that's all     

I keep hearing you say we get it we get it, yet you go and read some of the posts and it doesn't show they get it.... Definitely not with the way some are still arguing regarding the prospect pool after he was gone.

Gillis also wasn't able to draft as high as Benning has been able to due to where they end up in the standings, do people put that into account when he was drafting? And of course trading picks off, to not be able to draft because they went for the win now instead, which to this day I support 100%.

I'm not here trying to argue that Gillis was the greatest GM no, I do question some of his stuff and didn't like hearing he wasn't very liked around the league by other GMs, so that limited him with who to trade with due to them not really liking him in the first place. I feel he did a good job at trying to build and keep a strong favorite team to win the cup and he got them to within the last game to do it, yeah it sucks we didn't win and yes it sucks for when the vets slowed down after a couple years, because we didn't draft high or draft at all, but that's the price you pay sometimes. I just don't believe Gillis deserves any crap for it if anything he should be praised more by the fans, for almost getting this team it's first Stanley Cup ever, but he doesn't seem to get that by the fans because of this crap he didn't care about the future instead.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canuck fans have such low expectations from what they expect from the clubs management team.......

Add a  5/6 D man and a 4th line forward and Canuck Fans think we have the top GM in the NHL ......

Benning will most likely be fired next April if the club misses the playoffs once again. 

such a dumb and weak paraphrase wadr.

my low expectations are actually spent where your posts / straw 'conversations' are concerned.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Just using boeser as an example

So you are saying all those years Canucks drafting late 1st round picks like Jensen, Gaunce, Schroder; all they had to do NOT to screw up on these picks was to draft someone 'expected' on Hockey prospect list or Bob's list? I get it... is so easy even I could out GM GMJB.

Wow so easy. I wonder why the other 30 GMs haven't figured this out yet.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Wow so easy. I wonder why the other 30 GMs haven't figured this out yet.

You got to use the 'right' list depending on the year. So Petey's year you got to use Mckenzie's list but for brock you got to use hockey prospects list!

Even I can figure that out! :bigblush:

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I keep hearing you say we get it we get it, yet you go and read some of the posts and it doesn't show they get it.... Definitely not with the way some are still arguing regarding the prospect pool after he was gone.

Gillis also wasn't able to draft as high as Benning has been able to due to where they end up in the standings, do people put that into account when he was drafting? And of course trading picks off, to not be able to draft because they went for the win now instead, which to this day I support 100%.

I'm not here trying to argue that Gillis was the greatest GM no, I do question some of his stuff and didn't like hearing he wasn't very liked around the league by other GMs, so that limited him with who to trade with due to them not really liking him in the first place. I feel he did a good job at trying to build and keep a strong favorite team to win the cup and he got them to within the last game to do it, yeah it sucks we didn't win and yes it sucks for when the vets slowed down after a couple years, because we didn't draft high or draft at all, but that's the price you pay sometimes. I just don't believe Gillis deserves any crap for it if anything he should be praised more by the fans, for almost gietting this team it's first Stanley Cup ever, but he doesn't seem to get that by the fans because of this crap he didn't care about the future instead.

I totally get where you are coming from , I think it comes down to a comparison to the two gms   the anti benning group will be " that idiot benning trading for guddy   what a waste " and a pro benning will go" well gillis got garrison " ,   So to me those a very similar players and very similar problems   by two different gms   so really is one any better than the other ,  I agree gillis does deserve credit  but in the same breath , benning deserves credit from starting over again and dealing with management wishes ,  

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is exactly what leads to problems. Impatience to want to win it all.

You have to get into the playoffs, get experience on what it takes to win the playoffs. 

Also have the depth to win a long playoff run. What it takes to win the cup generally is 3 forward lines that can score, and play against no matter what style the other team has.

You need good goaltending. And most important you need 1-2 Norris calibre d-men, and 4-5 other solid d-men. 

All 31 teams want to win the Stanley Cup. (Soon to be 32)  Only one makes it every year. 

The problem KOS you seem to have, is you think your way is the only way to get there. Last season no one thought St. Louis would win it all. They looked dead in the water.

Surprise! I don't mind what Benning is doing. Probably because I see the pattern of what he wants to do. 

A critic will always find things to be critical of. Just agree to disagree. We all want the same thing. To win a cup. We just disagree how to get there, and what mix works best.

Amen  brother   patience is needed     there is only one draft per year  and that.s where you get core pieces  ,   look at Washington  it took them awhile to win a cup with their core of ovie Backstrom holtby and others  ,  winning a cup doesn't happen over night 

• Upvote 1