The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Derick Brassard to sign with Oilers

Rumour per Georges Laraque that Derick Brassard has agreed to a one year deal with the Oilers. No dollars mentioned at this point.

He would be a good fit with the Oilers if this is true. Oilers don’t have a lot of cap space so assuming a lower priced deal. Good for player with chance to get career going again. Good for Oilers - player delivers team benefits. Player doesn’t deliver, it is only a 1 year deal.  

Edited by drofssalg
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

Brassard? A little young and inexperienced to be a difference maker on a terrible team. They really have no idea how to develop there.  

EDIT - my bad, wrong Brassard (Matt).  But I stand by that last sentence.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

Rumour per Georges Laraque that Derick Brassard has agreed to a one year deal with the Oilers. No dollars mentioned at this point.

He would be a good fit with the Oilers if this is true. Oilers don’t have a lot of cap space so assuming a lower priced deal. Good for player with chance to get career going again. Good for Oilers - player delivers team benefits. Player doesn’t deliver, it is only a 1 year deal.  

A little surprised Brassard couldn't find a spot but it looks like this year's cap crunch has been particularly tough.

Brassard should be a decent fit for the Oilers.  At the very least, he's probably a much better depth player than many of the guys they currently have under contract.  I have liked Brassard's game over the years but his play definitely fell off last season (but then again, he was traded a couple times).  At best, Brassard gives the Oilers a versatile forward who should compliment the top-9 well and could be very productive.  At worst, they have a depth player who could still be dangerous in that role.

• Upvote 1

Cap crunch is hitting a lot of teams. Oddly enough I think Brassard sees the Oilers as a great opportunity (there is some talent there). He certainly is an upgrade for 3rd line center from what the Oilers had the past couple seasons. He likely gets power play and penalty kill time as well. 

Oilers have many short comings but if they did sign Brassard that does help them with forward depth. 

4 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

Cap crunch is hitting a lot of teams. Oddly enough I think Brassard sees the Oilers as a great opportunity (there is some talent there). He certainly is an upgrade for 3rd line center from what the Oilers had the past couple seasons. He likely gets power play and penalty kill time as well. 

Oilers have many short comings but if they did sign Brassard that does help them with forward depth. 

Brassard is good enough to play in their top 6.  Doesn't change the fact the city is a dump and the team should have been relegated to the AHL years ago.

• Haha 1

If they only expect 3rd line production out of him, he will fine.  The guy has been lucky throughout his career getting chances to play with some of the best players in the game. (Karlsson, Lundqvist, Sid, Geno, Barkov, McKinnon, and now McDavid and Drysaddle. He’s gotta find his spot and succeed with one of these teams or he may be riding the bus in the “A” sooner than later.