The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bill Guerin is new Minnesota GM

https://www.tsn.ca/minnesota-wild-to-hire-pittsburgh-penguins-agm-bill-guerin-as-general-manager-1.1354003

The Minnesota Wild will hire Bill Guerin as the team's new general manager, according to Michael Russo of The Athletic.

Guerin, 48, has been serving as assistant general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins and will replace Paul Fenton who was fired last month after just one season on the job. Russo reports Guerin is flying to Minnesota on Wednesday to finalize his contract and could be introduced by the club on Thursday.

Guerin first joined the Penguins front office as a player development coach in 2011 and was promoted to assistant general manager by Jim Rutherford in 2014.

He played 18 seasons in the NHL, winning two Stanley Cups - first with the New Jersey Devils in 1995 and then with the Penguins in 2009. He retired in 2010 and won two more Stanley Cups with the Penguins as an executive.

The Wild missed the playoffs for the first time since 2012 last season, with Fenton masking several moves to reshape the team's roster, including acquiring Victor Rask, Ryan Donato and Kevin Fiala, while trading away long-time players like Nino Niederreiter, Charlie Coyle and Mikael Granlund. Fenton also signed winger Mats Zuccarello on a five-year contract on July 1.

The Wild have $9.4 million remaining in cap space this summer with restricted free agents Fiala and Joel Eriksson Ek in need of new contracts.

Guerin reportedly interviewed for the vacant Wild general manager position last year before the team elected to hire Fenton.

Looks like a good hire.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Meh. Guy always seemed like a bit of a douche. Cant say I'm all to positive on this hire. 

I’m not positive because I wanted Chiapet to be hired and have him drive another Western Conference team into the toilet.  Increases our chances of making the playoffs.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Absolutely. 

I just can't see Bill Guerin being the best available option out there. 

He was the AGM in Pittsburgh when they won back to back Cups and was focused on the analytics part of the business. Got some experience being in charge fully for their AHL team. Who else is "better" out there?

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He was the AGM in Pittsburgh when they won back to back Cups and was focused on the analytics part of the business. Got some experience being in charge fully for their AHL team. Who else is "better" out there?

I've got a bunch of colleagues that have been part of very successful projects while doing very little during those projects if you catch my drift. Not saying that applies to Guerin, it's just, he's not really been a part of any discussions of "the next big" thing in management. I guess I'm just surprised by the move. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I've got a bunch of colleagues that have been part of very successful projects while doing very little during those projects if you catch my drift. Not saying that applies to Guerin, it's just, he's not really been a part of any discussions of "the next big" thing in management.

Like how Dubas was the next big thing? Sometimes going under the radar is better and you shock everyone when you hit the big stage.

Was there a better known candidate out there? All good GMs were unknown at one point.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

Perplexing. 

Liepold was saying he wanted an experienced guy for next GM. Apparently he wasn't happy with Fenton's organizational skills. He was good scout and not great at everything else required to run the front office as GM according to Liepold. 

Maybe Bill Guerin comes on and hits it out the park. He was a good player. Hard working player. Enjoyed watching him play even tho didn't cheer for him much. His mug kinda annoyed me. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Perplexing. 

Liepold was saying he wanted an experienced guy for next GM. Apparently he wasn't happy with Fenton's organizational skills. He was good scout and not great at everything else required to run the front office as GM according to Liepold. 

Maybe Bill Guerin comes on and hits it out the park. He was a good player. Hard working player. Enjoyed watching him play even tho didn't cheer for him much. His mug kinda annoyed me. 

Fenton had poor people skills - he didn't treat people right.  That was the biggest issue.  They were trying to work with him on that but he wasn't changing his ways per Russo.  It was just a lot of small fires that created a poor working environment.  Leipold talked of how Fenton wasn't fitting in their culture.

59 minutes ago, mll said:

Fenton had poor people skills - he didn't treat people right.  That was the biggest issue.  They were trying to work with him on that but he wasn't changing his ways per Russo.  It was just a lot of small fires that created a poor working environment.  Leipold talked of how Fenton wasn't fitting in their culture.

I was going on what Liepold said himself regarding Fenton not what a reporter said. 

This is from Liepold. 

It was the other part of being a general manager, the organizational part, the strategic part, the management of people, hiring and motivating the departments," Leipold said. "When I'm talking about not being fit, that's what I mean."

I also read somewhere Liepold saying he would look for an experienced GM as the new hire. 

Edited by WHL rocks

Bit of a strange hire but he's been part of a winning organization so there's that. Minny's nearing the crossroads we and Calgary were at not too long ago. They should be competing with their roster but they should be taking a hard look at rebuilding pretty quick too. Not sure any GM's gonna come in to that scenario and last very long.