The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bold Predictions for the upcoming season (Discussion)

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

green is runner up to the coach of the year

we only have 3 major injuries and sutter, tanev and edler are not among them. 

quinn hughes, in calder race. 

demko takes over number 1 goaltender on canucks.

cdc finds a new whipping boy after louie is moved at the trade deadline. 

canucks win on the night, burrows goes into the ring of honour. 

it won’t be known until the last 3 games of the season, whether canucks make or miss the playoffs. 

I like your predictions! Green as a Jack Adams candidate was my bold prediction last year. He will have a real good chance this year if the team plays for him right. Love all the rest lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1. Canucks make the playoffs easily.  

2. Hughes wins the Calder. 

3. Jake has 20+ goals. 

4. Bo is named captain on the same night as the Sedins are honoured. 

5. Petey, Bo, and Boeser all improve their point totals. 

• Upvote 1

1.Miller gets 50 points.

2. Gaudette assumes the 3rd line center role when Sutter and Beagle go down to injury. Pots 15 goals. 

3. Tanev and Edler get injured so OJ comes in and puts up 20 points in 50 games after being called up. 

4. Hughes will get 48 points and get a Calder nomination like his bro.

5. Canucks make the playoffs and also aquire picks at the TDL. 

Eriksson will score 20 goals next season. Either in the AHL or NHL lol. :lol:

Can we harness this Eriksson's powers please?

Image result for eriksson stars

I use to love watching this guy on sportscentre in the morning before school. 

You can do it Louie!!! The Comets or Canucks will be grateful! lol. If anything is going to get through to Eriksson this s#*t storm of a summer should do it lol. Go get em Loui!!!!! I was excited we landed you in the summer of 2016! Don't leave me disappointed here. Juolevi will arrive and Eriksson will transform into Loui Eriksson of old. Sign me up baby!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1.Vancouver finishes top 5 in the league

2. Hoglander makes the team.

3. Bo Horvat gets the C at the sedins ceremony.

4 Tyler Myers establishes himself as a team leader.

5. Alex Edler sucks 

6. Goaltender controversy by Christmas

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Upvote 1

I feel like this team is built somewhat like the 2011/12 Kings. We don't quite have the defence they did but the F group comparison is interesting to me:

Kopitar - 25g 76p  - Petey can match that 

Williams -  Boeser

Brown - Ferland

Richards - Horvat 

Stoll - Miller

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baer all quality in the bottom 6

Quick is far better than Markstrom but LAs goalies only had 40 wins that year. 

I don't think this is "our year" but I think the comp is interesting. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel like this team is built somewhat like the 2011/12 Kings. We don't quite have the defence they did but the F group comparison is interesting to me:

Kopitar - 25g 76p  - Petey can match that 

Williams -  Boeser

Brown - Ferland

Richards - Horvat 

Stoll - Miller

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baer all quality in the bottom 6

Quick is far better than Markstrom but LAs goalies only had 40 wins that year. 

I don't think this is "our year" but I think the comp is interesting. 

If Markstrom plays like Quick did, especially their first cup, then yes we can do it.  Don’t think we have the same team as far as possession goes .... but you never do know.   I hated that they beat us and went on and one a cup as an eight seed.   At the time said Doughty was the most overrated player in the league (scored two goals in the Olympics and becomes the next coming of Orr according to the media - the love was sickening - easily could have been Weber too...Benn deserved way more love IMO - he was becoming one of the best at that time).  

Unfortunately for my narritive (luckiest team ever to win a cup) - they did it again.   Hate them.  After 2011 that was supposed to be our year.   We won another presidents trophy - damn Keith and his elbow.   Still think if we got by LA another deep run was available to us. 

With some time and some perspective I begrudgingly accept what they achieved.   Grunted out two cups - despite barely making the playoffs at all - Sutter had them playing great defense and puck control - and that team was built for the playoffs.   Even now Doughty publicly states they will make the playoffs this year...and if they do would it shock me if they did alright?  Yes it would.  And it would hate them all over again.   

I do think that the team we have now thanks to the hard work of JB and his drafting has a decent chance of doing some damage if we make it.  More of a playoff team then a regular season one.  Could see a lot of amped up middle six forwards making it very difficult to defend against - wouldn’t matter if our first line was shut down - others would pick up the slack which is what wins cups.    Never in the history of the league has a one line team won the cup - OTT was the closest in recent memory and ANA picked them apart in five. 

Exceptional goaltending wins cups - Quick did - as did Roy in MTL his second time.    Markstrom would have to  join that club for us to get one in the next two or three years.   After that I’d expect we move up in our division and battle Vegas and CAL for tops...ARI too but they will be gone by then...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If Markstrom plays like Quick did, especially their first cup, then yes we can do it.  Don’t think we have the same team as far as possession goes .... but you never do know.   I hated that they beat us and went on and one a cup as an eight seed.   At the time said Doughty was the most overrated player in the league (scored two goals in the Olympics and becomes the next coming of Orr according to the media - the love was sickening - easily could have been Weber too...Benn deserved way more love IMO - he was becoming one of the best at that time).  

Unfortunately for my narritive (luckiest team ever to win a cup) - they did it again.   Hate them.  After 2011 that was supposed to be our year.   We won another presidents trophy - damn Keith and his elbow.   Still think if we got by LA another deep run was available to us. 

With some time and some perspective I begrudgingly accept what they achieved.   Grunted out two cups - despite barely making the playoffs at all - Sutter had them playing great defense and puck control - and that team was built for the playoffs.   Even now Doughty publicly states they will make the playoffs this year...and if they do would it shock me if they did alright?  Yes it would.  And it would hate them all over again.   

I do think that the team we have now thanks to the hard work of JB and his drafting has a decent chance of doing some damage if we make it.  More of a playoff team then a regular season one.  Could see a lot of amped up middle six forwards making it very difficult to defend against - wouldn’t matter if our first line was shut down - others would pick up the slack which is what wins cups.    Never in the history of the league has a one line team won the cup - OTT was the closest in recent memory and ANA picked them apart in five. 

Exceptional goaltending wins cups - Quick did - as did Roy in MTL his second time.    Markstrom would have to  join that club for us to get one in the next two or three years.   After that I’d expect we move up in our division and battle Vegas and CAL for tops...ARI too but they will be gone by then...

I do think a combo of Marky and Demko can get 40 wins, but I guess you have to step up and show it in the playoffs to be the "next guy". 

Our F group might have a bit more scoring ability but not quite the physicality, but for a decade later thats maybe what you want too.

Dunno, just was looking back at teams and the F group looked like a curious comp to me.

The big question is our d. Can they move the puck? Is Hughes really a "one man breakout"? Is Myers set to have a career year? Thats what will make or break us imo. 

I do think our team has the potential to be resilient the way LA was tho, we were hard to play against most of last year without the  5 new roster guys. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:21 PM, The_Rocket said:

Canucks will add 64 (!) goals this season and finish the year in the top 5 in scoring with 283 goals. Breakdown of goal totals below:

Ferland - 17  Petey - 32  Boeser - 35

Baertschi - 14  Horvat - 29 Miller - 21

Pearson - 16  Sutter - 12  Virtanen - 18

Roussell - 8  Beagle - 6  Leivo - 14

Motte - 7

Goldobin - 9

Gaudette - 9

Schaller - 2

Edler - 8  Myers - 7

Hughes - 6  Tanev - 1

Benn -  4  Stetcher - 4

Joulevi - 2

Fantenburg - 1

Biega  1

Seems almost crazy to say 283 goals in a season for the Canucks but the goals you predicted of each player seems to be realistic. I like it.

My own bold predictions for this season.

3 of Baertschi, Sutter, Tanev, and Edler play 65+ games

Virtanen scores 20+ goals

Hughes puts up 40+ points

Pettersson put up 80+ points

Canucks finish season top 3 in their division with 98 points and make playoffs eventually losing in the 2nd round

On 8/28/2019 at 11:27 PM, wildcam said:

Vancouver 3rd in Pacific

Pettersson 75 points

Boser 33 Goals-- 67 points

Horvat 64 Points

Miller 55 points

Ferland 44 points -- 22 G

Pearson 23 G -- 42 Points

Hughes - 42 points - 3rd in rookie votes

Big Jake - 19 G

Myers, Benn along with Hughes really change look of back end..

Markstrom 52 games and Demko 30 games -- Both have good year..

Juolevi - up at Xmas and has fans excited-- Shows his skill...

Very very exciting year with this hard working aggressive skilled team..

Good predictions.

what about Edler?...he is an important player....how will he do? Hopefully play around 20 minutes per game, rather than 26 minutes per game with the added depth at "D" and Hughes getting PP1 minutes...this would go along way for him to stay healthy.

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Upvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 10:41 PM, -AJ- said:

Boldly optimistic versions of my current expectations:

- Vancouver has 102 points in the regular season

- Pettersson scores 90 points

- Hughes gets 45 points

- Tanev plays 70+ games

- Canucks get knocked out in round 2 of the playoffs

- Boeser scores 38 goals

That's the spirit! Best yet.

1. Canucks 2nd in Pacific

2.Lose to Vegas in 2nd round

3. Miller gets 60+ pts

4. EP40 gets a ppg

5. Boeser gets 38 goals

6. Marky 0.930 save percentage and 1.9 goals against

7. Added depth at "D" helps Tanev and Edler play healthy for major part of season.

8. Bo is named Captain and repeats last year's stats.

9. Ferland will disappear for part of the season.

...if it wasn't for Vegas, then Canucks make the SCF

OR

major injuries will  prevail and "same Sh&t, different pile"...Canucks win the lottery.

Goldy gets picked up on waivers.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Good predictions.

what about Edler?...he is an important player....how will he do? Hopefully play around 20 minutes per game, rather than 26 minutes per game with the added depth at "D" and Hughes getting PP1 minutes...this would go along way for him to stay healthy.

And more often play well.  He's no longer a top 2 guy.  No shame in that.  A Tanev-Hughes pairing will (barring injury lol) be our number 1-2 by mid-season. Myers/Stecher/Edler are 3-4 material. 

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

And more often play well.  He's no longer a top 2 guy.  No shame in that.  A Tanev-Hughes pairing will (barring injury lol) be our number 1-2 by mid-season. Myers/Stecher/Edler are 3-4 material. 

Yeah, Edler, Myers would be a good #1 pair if they meet expectations...then Hughes, Tanev and Benn, Stech with Tryamkin joining the team just before the playoffs...this would bode well for the team...Fantenberg will also play a role along with OJ....could be good if everyone stays healthy and lives up to expectations.

• Upvote 1

1. Boeser signs but for only 3 years, 4 max.  7.25 million.

2. EP40 is above 1 point per game.  Out for only 4 games due to blocking a shot (don't do that EP.) 

3. Canucks finish in 3rd place in division ahead of Calgary, behind Vegas and SJ.   Lose in first round, but games are close, fantastic series. 

4. Hughes gets 50 points, Boeser 40 goals, Horvat 60 point range.  Miller and Ferland finish slightly below expectations but are good in playoffs.  PP is best in years.

5. Virtanen has 22 goals, 24 assists, breakout year.

6. Woo makes team out of training camp. Canucks keep him up as 7th D.  Gets 30 points in the season, plays on 2nd pp. 

7. Markstrom is injured/fatigued in February, Demko takes over. The two split duties in playoffs, surprisingly.

8.  Green wins coaching award.

9. Juolevi breaks in with team after injuries hit in early December. 

10.  Eriksson refuses to play in Utica.