The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Breeze is a guy I want to see more of.  Rather have him up than Biega if it means losing one vs the other.   To me Woo could earn  a 9 game stint as a carrot, but he is going back to jr for sure.  

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Neither are competing with Biega for a spare D slot. They both need to PLAY, not sit in the press box.

Do people not actually grasp the role of spare D? That is not where we want guys like Brisebois.

Waive Eriksson.  

Amen to that though :lol:

Beiga should be a waiver player.  If he clears, his value to the club and as a trade chip go up.  If another team takes him, he gets an NHL gig, he's earned it. 

Unless another team ends up losing d men in preseason, he isn't the type of guy usually picked up on preseason waivers.  

Goldy, Motte and Leivo are suited to the 5th line atm.  All have room to grow, fit in different lines and are cheap, cheap cheap.  

Rafferty and OJ are all but Utica bound.  A good thing IMO.  Breeze is a guy I want to see more of.  Rather have him up than Biega if it means losing one vs the other.   To me Woo could earn  a 9 game stint as a carrot, but he is going back to jr for sure.  

We have to remember that Trymakin likely becomes available by the end of season.  It's like a TDL deal for a huge mobile defender with upside.  Nice to have that in the back pocket.  

Can we start packing Erikssons things yet?  I will help him move, maybe Burkie can drive him to airport.  

I doubt a cool dude like Eriksson will report to Utica.  Still some relief from him is better than none.  We have other guys that can kill penalties.  

Waive Eriksson.  

so surely, in fact, that it happened 2 days ago. 

• Haha 1

Per Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

13. Teams trying to move bodies include Carolina and Vancouver. Both are tight to the cap and roster limits. The Canucks have made four or five players available, but I’m not sure Jake Virtanen is one of them. Head coach Travis Green was frustrated with Nikolay Goldobin last season, but GM Jim Benning opted for a longer view. Could be the same here. Calgary may have to manoeuvre something once Matthew Tkachuk is signed.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Is JB trying to move bodies because of Roussel - when he is out of LTIR at least-?

Or would that be some kind of precautionary move, in case somebody gets injured during the season?

Edited by BrazilianCanuck

Canucks reduce pre-season roster by three players:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by three players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Arseneau, Vincent

DiPietro, Michael

Gadjovich, Jonah

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-roster/c-309305566

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good to hear Virtanen isn't being shopped.  Enjoyed seeing him get some pk time.   Would like to see more of that 

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
Auto correct
  • Like 1

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

Good to hear Virtanen isn't being shipped.  Enjoyed seeing him get some ok time.   Would like to see more of that 

Very few players in the league could score the goal Jake did in OT vs the Flames the other night.  No way we trade that kind of skill-set in such a big body. 

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Good cuts, expected. Lind is higher on the depth chart than Gadj is all I take from that. 

As for the 31 thoughts bit, if it's not Jake or Goldy then Motte/Leivo/Schaller? Says 4 or 5 guys being shopped, I'm thinking they're all forwards. No one would touch Eriksson. 

Id bet Schaller / Leivo / Sutter / Eriksson / Goldy - Jake has intangibles and can go anywhere in the lineup, too versatile, too much potential, too much invested.. (Maybe just wishful thinking, I love Jake!)

1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Id bet Schaller / Leivo / Sutter / Eriksson / Goldy - Jake has intangibles and can go anywhere in the lineup, too versatile, too much potential, too much invested.. (Maybe just wishful thinking, I love Jake!)

I worry Baertschi might be in there. He has yet to line-up with NHLers, in camp or in game, he's been stuck with depth guys. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1