The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Its unlikely Goldy and Sven both get claimed tomorrow, but I hope they do...Then we are 1 injury away or poor start from needing an offensive F to play in our top 9. Enter sensational call up....Reid Boucher. Man that is pathetic if it comes to that, Canucks have 0 depth of NHL caliber players who can produce offensively, 0 call ups can do that...

MacEwen/Graovac/Boucher/Bailey/Jasek are all capable of playing on the third line. Don't get your panties in a bunch. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dombrova22 said:

MacEwen/Graovac/Boucher/Bailey/Jasek are all capable of playing on the third line. Don't get your panties in a bunch. 

Are you kidding me? That list is full of  AHL players with little to NO NHL experience. 

• Upvote 2

This is ridiculous. Sven couldn't make Calgary. Now that we are half decent he can't make the Canucks and we cry?

The NHL is a top 6 bottom 6 league. He's not good enough for top 6. He's too good for bottom 6. Bye bye.

He'll be back. Maybe not for Vancouver but we won't miss him. If he is the difference we suck yet again.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

No.  That's what Benning explained:

"He’s been one of our skilled players the last four years around here. He had good chemistry with Bo, and they played well together. But (Tanner) Pearson plays well together with Bo, too. It’s kind of the evolution about where we’re at as an organization, where we have better players now and we’re going to have to make these hard, tough decisions.”

Schaller

Eriksson

Gaudette

Sutter

Virtanen

All players not as good as Baertschi. The guys a legit middle six NHLer. I can't believe there was literally 0 market for Sven.

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Schaller

Eriksson

Gaudette

Sutter

Virtanen

All players not as good as Baertschi. The guys a legit middle six NHLer. I can't believe there was literally 0 market for Sven.

That's just it....everyone thinks he's so good yet we can't even trade him. Either our expectations are wrong or Benning is terrible.

I'm betting on Jim.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

He also comes with post season experience.

I don't have a problem with any of these 3 being waived. It means we are that much deeper this year. They have a combined 2 games of NHL playoff experience and both those games are from Sven. If these are the cuts JB and TG believe are right then I am 100% behind them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

I don't have a problem with any of these 3 being waived. It means we are that much deeper this year. They have a combined 2 games of NHL playoff experience and both those games are from Sven. If these are the cuts JB and TG believe are right then I am 100% behind them.

Are these JB and TG’s cuts though, or is this our owner getting involved?  Loui should have been cut, not Baer. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

It sucks to see Baertschi waived but someone was going to have to get the short end of the stick to make room for Roussel when he gets back.  The way I see it:

Firstly, Goldobin was cut because he just didn't earn a spot.  I like Goldobin but he didn't seem to be able to step up his play to earn a spot.  Goldobin was always on the list of one of the final players who could be cut to make the roster limit.

Second, Gaudette making the team may not have affected the forward group as much as it may have influenced the Canucks to run with 7 D instead of the usual 8 D we have typically seen.  They have waiver flexibility on D this season with Rafferty, Brisebois, Teves and Chatfield all not requiring waivers, so maybe that's one factor.  Of course, management could pick up Schenn or another D off the waiver wire and then run with 8 D but then they'll end up with same roster problem not only now (they would have to waive someone) but when Roussel gets back.

Lastly, waiving Baertschi right now is of course disappointing but it's clear that Baertschi has been considered the odd man out when factoring in Roussel.  Roussel's return was always going to force out another player.  Leaving aside demoting Eriksson, there were definitely question marks about Baertschi heading into camp so it's not entirely surprising to see him waived.

I guess management figured they couldn't make a deal to help Baertschi stay in the NHL now and that it was unlikely to change this season, especially not at the time Roussel is expected to return (in the next month or two).  In that case, it makes no different waiving him now or doing it later.  Of course, the trade market might change in a month or two.  If I'm not mistaken though (and I might be...), then history has shown that there are very few deals until later in the season.

There's a good chance Baertschi gets claimed but there's also a really good chance he doesn't.  He's under contract for another year and I do believe his concussion history would keep teams leery.  Most teams seem relatively healthy and all teams need to get to the roster limit right now.  Waiving Baertschi later might be harder when teams start having injuries or are disappointed with how players have started the season.  At that point, it makes way more sense to waive a guy like Schaller.

At the end of the day, we'll see what happens tomorrow morning.  It's not a move I would say I like but I do think it's defensible.

• Upvote 3

Said a few times since NG was qualified that it was just as much about giving him a chance to be picked up as a depth option on waivers (a favour to him for his time with us) as it was to prove he belongs here.  He didn’t prove anything in the preseason, more so so moments - good luck.  Bear was a surprise, I’m sure they have their reasons (they say it wasn’t about cap space BUT maybe that’s ultimately the play, as he’s got a shot of getting picked up - and that clears up a bit of cap for the team.   Plus they can always use his injury history as a reason for it.  It’s a testament to our new team that we are waiving guys of this caliber. 

• Upvote 2