The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's disingenuous and you know it. It's like saying McDavid isn't even a 50 point player after his first season.

Omg seriously you don't get it. Baertschi has not played a full season McDavid has. One is a generational talent the other is a borderline top 9 forward/tweener. Baertschi has also never scored more than 35 points and only hit 35 once. Wadr that McDavid comparison is reeeeeeeeeeallly reaching. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson better defensively, Schaller the better 4th liner/13th forward both healthier in their stint here, not that hard to figure out. 

How is Schaller the better 13th forward? You didn't even realize he was actually playing in the games most of last season.

If Baertschi was even a 13th forward atleast he could bring some offense here & there. Eriksson is 'better' defensively because he can't do anything other than try & contain + defend. 

Going with the old, slow & unskilled/unproductive option over the younger, faster, skilled option is a regressive move in todays NHL. Just wait till Loui's playing top 9 again. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its still a bad more regardless. Eriksson starting on our 3rd line doesn't make up better. If Eriksson is still a top 9 option this isn't a playoff team. 

Agreed, but it's done. Hopefully he clears tomorrow and all of this will blow over 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its still a bad more regardless. Eriksson starting on our 3rd line doesn't make up better. If Eriksson is still a top 9 option this isn't a playoff team. 

To be fair, Eriksson was skating as one of the extras today:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

How is Schaller the better 13th forward? You didn't even realize he was actually playing in the games most of last season.

If Baertschi was even a 13th forward atleast he could bring some offense here & there. Eriksson is 'better' defensively because he can't do anything other than try & defend. 

Going with the old, slow & unskilled/unproductive option over the younger, faster, skilled option is a regressive move in todays NHL. Just wait till Loui's playing top 9 again. 

Leivo 24 pts

Eriksson 29 pts

Schaller 10 pts can hit and fight, one full year removed from major hand injury now, Schaller is a better 4th line option period don't even know why this needs further explanation. 

vs 

Baertschi 14 pts 56 games missed 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Who's gonna make up the 100 points of the Sedins??!

Not an argument.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For one period.

As I recall, they played two games together and were able to hook up for points in both games. Also, the argument itself is disingenuous, unless your standard of 'chemistry' is so unbelievably high that two particular players must be able to pile up points every minute that they're on the ice together. 

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Omg seriously you don't get it. Baertschi has not played a full season McDavid has. One is a generational talent the other is a borderline top 9 forward/tweener. Baertschi has also never scored more than 35 points and only hit 35 once. Wadr that McDavid comparison is reeeeeeeeeeallly reaching. 

I'm comparing the argument, not the player smh. 

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson better defensively, Schaller the better 4th liner/13th forward both healthier in their stint here, not that hard to figure out. 

Schaller proved last year he was NOT a good 4th liner or 13th F. Loui also proved to be making 3x too much for the role he has been tasked with. You don't keep a 6m bum on the NHL roster because he kind of fits a 4th liner role with some pk capability.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm comparing the argument, not the player smh. 

It was a bad comparison, a better comparison would have been a top 9 forward who struggled with multiple injuries then stayed healthy, not a generational superstar wadr. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Leivo 24 pts

Eriksson 29 pts

Schaller 10 pts can hit and fight, one full year removed from major hand injury now, Schaller is a better 4th line option period don't even know why this needs further explanation. 

vs 

Baertschi 14 pts 56 games missed 

Baertschi has been more productive than Schaller's career high literally every season Baertschi's been a full time NHLer.

Baertschi was on pace last year for 28 goals & 44 points. Eriksson can't dream of that production.

Games missed means nothing because if he's out then he goes on LTIR & you just call up Schaller or Eriksson (who wouldn't be claimed on waivers) to replace him.

Then when he's playing he's the best player of all of them, & he adds secondary scoring/offensive depth we've lacked.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Schaller proved last year he was NOT a good 4th liner or 13th F. Loui also proved to be making 3x too much for the role he has been tasked with. You don't keep a 6m bum on the NHL roster because he kind of fits a 4th liner role with some pk capability.

Since your someone hoping for the team to fail as mentioned earlier in the thread your opinion is irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Baertschi has been more productive than Schaller's career high literally every season Baertschi's been a full time NHLer.

Baertschi was on pace last year for 28 goals & 44 points. Eriksson can't dream of that production.

Games missed means nothing because if he's out then he goes on LTIR & you just call up Schaller or Eriksson (who wouldn't be claimed on waivers) to replace him.

Then when he's playing he's the best player of all of them, & he adds secondary scoring/offensive depth we've lacked.  

I'm not saying Schaller is the better player, he IS better suited as a 4th liner period. 

Games missed do in fact matter because actual production>>>>>>>>potential production. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 3

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

It was a bad comparison, a better comparison would have been a top 9 forward who struggled with multiple injuries then stayed healthy, not a generational superstar wadr. 

I'm taking your argument to it's logical extreme to point out where the flaw in it lies.

I'll also point out that, even if Baer was penciled into the lineup, Levio were the 13th forward, and Baer missed just as much time to injury this season as he did last season, Leivo would still make in into that slot regardless, but I'm willing to bet that 25 games of Baertschi + 57 games of Leivo on the 3rd line LW would be more productive than 82 games of Leivo in that position. 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, EdgarM said:

Baertchi is unfortunately stuck between a rock and a hard place. He does not provide enough offense as does Boes or Petey and he does not bring a combination of offense and physical presence such as Bo,Ferlund,Miller or Pearson. 

He is similar to Goldy in that they do not provide enough of either. That is Virt's concern as well. He can produce more offense and more physical presence but is kind of in between. He does produce more defense/physicality then Baert or Goldy though, so I see him as a step above these two.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:28 AM, DeNiro said:

If they want three lines that can score, Baertschi brings more to the table than someone like Sutter or Virtanen.

If anything it’s Sutter that doesn’t really fit the third line the way they wanna build it. I think a combo of Baertschi, Gaudette, and Leivo or Virtanen would go a lot farther in creating three scoring lines.

That leaves us our 13 million dollar fourth line of Eriksson, Beagle, and Sutter!

On 9/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, EdgarM said:

The third line is probably more of a checker line that is equipped to occasionally help with the scoring. Sutter fits that bill more then Baert. Baert is pure offense and would need to prove himself worthy of the top 6. He is a tweener in that he doesn't provide enough physical/toughness or offense to warrant a spot in the top 6. His lack of physicality/toughness also prevents him from being in the bottom 6. 

Sutter has offense and can produce when healthy. The last couple of years he has been impeded by injury. 

I see the third line players as the question marks in the entire line up. If players are going to be moved around, it will be from this line. The only other variable will be injuries and the ability to fill spots with the tweeners.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, DeNiro said:

From everything I’ve heard they don’t want the traditional shutdown physical third line though. They need offensive guys there to help take the load off the top two lines.

Baerstchi has averaged 16 goals over three seasons before last season (where he was on pace for 28). They need those goals, otherwise they’re not a playoff team. If he can stay healthy that’s 15-20 goals they’re not likely to get from other guys.

I guess Baert is not the guy they want there after all.B)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm taking your argument to it's logical extreme to point out where the flaw in it lies.

I'll also point out that, even if Baer was penciled into the lineup, Levio were the 13th forward, and Baer missed just as much time to injury this season as he did last season, Leivo would still make in into that slot regardless, but I'm willing to bet that 25 games of Baertschi + 57 games of Leivo on the 3rd line LW would be more productive than 82 games of Leivo in that position. 

You are mistakenly only comparing the two on point production..... much more to hockey than that.  You need to look at their complete games.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Baertschi is going to miss 1/2-2/3 of the season anyway how is his loss so bad that you have to split hairs and make ridiculous scenarios to justify him having a spot on the roster. And that is without even considering the coach feeling he had a lacklustre training camp. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Baertschi is going to miss 1/2-2/3 of the season anyway how is his loss so bad that you have to split hairs and make ridiculous scenarios to justify him having a spot on the roster. And that is without even considering the coach feeling he had a lacklustre ctraining camp. 

Sutter and Tanev miss large parts of the hockey season for us too tho. They didnt get waived or dangled as trade bait

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Since your someone hoping for the team to fail as mentioned earlier in the thread your opinion is irrelevant. 

I'm not saying Schaller is the better player, he IS better suited as a 4th liner period. 

Games missed do in fact matter because actual production>>>>>>>>potential production. 

Not in this case they don't. Whether you get a full season of Baertschi or not, your still getting more production & upside from him than you would Tim Schaller or Loui Eriksson while he's playing. Don't you remember how good he was at the start of last year? Him playing with Horvat, adding the secondary scoring they did was a big part of our start.

And your not risking missing out on anything or losing anything with Eriksson or Schaller not playing instead of Baertschi, as far as I'm concerned.

I can understand + respect preferring Schaller on a 4th line. But personally, there's nothing I've seen of Tim Schaller in a Canucks jersey that makes me want him above Sven Baertschi on any NHL line, even 4th line. Maybe if he returns to Boston-form I'll change my opinion on that. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian