The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe, maybe not. I'll give you Miller without question, but  Ferland's PPG average is roughly on par with Baer's, and Baer has more seasons as an offensive threat under his belt. Sure, he's missed a lot more time, but at this point you're virtually guaranteed a .5 PPG + player with Baer. With Ferland, I'd say it's a bit more up in the air. As for Pearson, if he slips into a funk like he was in for most of last season, well....the numbers will speak for themselves. 

And furthermore, even if all three forwards you mentioned are better than Baer. Even if they put up better numbers, you still need three lines that can score if you want to be successful. Having a dynamic offensive force like Baertschi on your 3rd line could really give other teams headaches. 

I ask you. If you have Ferlund and Baertchi, who is going to be the headache and the threat in the playoffs? Sorry but the softies didn't make the team this year.::D

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Baertschi is going to miss 1/2-2/3 of the season anyway how is his loss so bad that you have to split hairs and make ridiculous scenarios to justify him having a spot on the roster. And that is without even considering the coach feeling he had a lacklustre ctraining camp. 

Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen, Hughes, stecher are some others had a underwhelming training camp too. It camp for a reason to help get prepared for the season , stecher

JB and Green views were clear. It's an evolution. The team has better players now.  Baer did not look great in preseason. So he was deemed expendable. 

Pretty tepid response from the pro Baer crowd.  So I'd say the decision was met largely with acceptance by the Canuck faithful. If he's not claimed then jury has gone out and come back in. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Not in this case they don't. Whether you get a full season of Baertschi or not, your still getting more production & upside from him than you would Tim Schaller or Loui Eriksson while he's playing. Don't you remember how good he was at the start of last year? Him playing with Horvat, adding the secondary scoring they did was a big part of our start.

And your not risking missing out on anything or losing anything with Eriksson or Schaller not playing instead of Baertschi, as far as I'm concerned.

I can understand + respect preferring Schaller on a 4th line. But personally, there's nothing of seen of Tim Schaller that makes me want him above Sven Baertschi on any NHL line, even 4th line. Maybe if he returns to Boston-form I'll change my opinion on that. 

Baertschi is not going to play on the 4th line so Schaller is irrelevant wadr

Eriksson is useful both defensively and on the PK. So he edges out Baer there whether you like it or not. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning did say that he tried to trade him.  I don't blame any GM for not wanting to go there based on his concussion issues.  The hit that took him out was not very hard but was very well directed.  I really hope that those days are behind him

In a few weeks teams will have injuries or might need to tinker and a guy like Baer might be moveable.  I know he can still do that, but waiting those three weeks would have helped him save some space

I know it's not a huge thing, overall, but I just think he's earned enough respect.  I hope we see him back in blue, but I doubt it.

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen, Hughes, stecher are some others had a underwhelming training camp too. It camp for a reason to help get prepared for the season , stecher

Disagree with all of those and Stecher and Hughes are defenseman so what that has to do with Baertschi is beyond me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I ask you. If you have Ferlund and Baertchi, who is going to be the headache and the threat in the playoffs? Sorry but the softies didn't make the team this year.::D

Sven 18 hits in 26gp

LE 3hits in 81gp

I also think Sven could be used in a pk role, which would suit a 3rd liner role and could jump up into the top 6 or onto 1 of the 2 pp units if they are slumping. LE can't do that and make a Positive impact

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Baertschi is going to miss 1/2-2/3 of the season anyway how is his loss so bad that you have to split hairs and make ridiculous scenarios to justify him having a spot on the roster. And that is without even considering the coach feeling he had a lacklustre ctraining camp. 

The potential remains. If Baertschi can scrap together a 70+ game season, odds are extremely favorable that he'll wind up with at least 35+ points, which would dwarf whatever numbers Leivo will put up. And if Baertschi does run into the same injury problems, Leivo would likely still be available to fill in. It's not like the 3 line LW position would just go vacant if Baertschi takes an injury. If Baer stays healthy, we lose a lot of production. If he takes numerous injuries, we still lose some production.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The potential remains. If Baertschi can scrap together a 70+ game season, odds are extremely favorable that he'll wind up with at least 35+ points, which would dwarf whatever numbers Leivo will put up. And if Baertschi does run into the same injury problems, Leivo would likely still be available to fill in. It's not like the 3 line LW position would just go vacant if Baertschi takes an injury. If Baer stays healthy, we lose a lot of production. If he takes numerous injuries, we still lose some production.

Just going to agree to disagree at this point, at this stage Baertschi playing 70+ games is a big if 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Sven had a better pre season than Jake. I didn't notice that "kid''. Sven showed some chemistry with Gaud atleast. Which could have been a 3rd line combo

Sven LW Jake RW not competing for a spot with each other. 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are mistakenly only comparing the two on point production..... much more to hockey than that.  You need to look at their complete games.

Sure, but you also need to deem what's more valuable, which in most cases, production wins out. You also need to gauge what effect it will have on the rest of the lineup. My contention is that if Baertschi is playing on the third line, the production of whoever he's playing with likely goes up. Then there's the effect that it has on the top two lines. If we have an offensive threat on the third line as well, that likely spreads the opposing D out a little more, resulting in more offensive opportunities for your top two lines. All of this comes into play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Sure, but you also need to deem what's more valuable, which in most cases, production wins out. You also need to gauge what effect it will have on the rest of the lineup. My contention is that if Baertschi is playing on the third line, the production of whoever he's playing with likely goes up. Then there's the effect that it has on the top two lines. If we have an offensive threat on the third line as well, that likely spreads the opposing D out a little more, resulting in more offensive opportunities for your top two lines. All of this comes into play. 

And on the third line Baer would be playing a lot against the other teams’ bottom pair D.  

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just going to agree to disagree at this point, at this stage Baertschi playing 70+ games is a big if 

Maybe, but even if he only plays the 25 or so games he played last year, which I feel is highly unlikely, we'd still have Levio to slot into the position anyways. And if he does play something closer to a full season and produces at the rate we know he can, this team is much deeper offensively.