The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

But better suited in the bottom 6 thatn Baertschi ergo no room for Baertschi. He is simply the odd man out and rightfully so wadr 

The idea of a 3rd line having to be a 'checking line' is archaic. These days you need at least three lines that can pose an offensive threat. Baertschi brought depth scoring to a lineup that desperately needed it, and I can't see Leivo or Schaller providing near the offensive upside that Baertschi does. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Leivo Sutter Virtanen

Schaller Beagle Motte

[spare, Eriksson, Gaudette]

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher

[spare, Fantenberg]

There's the team as it sits.  Now, Benning has said all along that he wants a team that is fast and hard to play against.  But of all the players on the list above, none of them could be called a soft player or a perimeter player.  Well, the 2 that you could call soft make up for it by being supremely skilled.  I think that this is the evolution of the team that Benning wants to build.  

I like Baertshi a lot and since he has a $3.3M cap hit, I don't expect him to be picked up.  He'll be back.

As I said before, I was pretty sure Baer was gone sometime this year, I just wish they did it a different, more respectful way

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The idea of a 3rd line having to be a 'checking line' is archaic. These days you need at least three lines that can pose an offensive threat. Baertschi brought depth scoring to a lineup that desperately needed it, and I can't see Leivo or Schaller providing near the offensive upside that Baertschi does. 

You're hurting my head. 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I never said it was or had to be a checking line, Leivo provided 5 more actual goals than Baertschi last season. Leivo has the size and health edge as well and Schaller will be the 4th line/13th forward. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1

FWIW, Green didn't think Baertschi had the greatest training camp:

I'm sort of sensing that the team feels that Baertschi at his current form isn't the best fit for the current lineup, which I can understand. I don't necessarily think they've given up on him entirely, otherwise you wouldn't be hearing any talk about him rebuilding some confidence in the AHL.

I don't love the fact that he has to go on waivers. There's a part of me that wishes they could have slowly re-integrated him into the NHL lineup but I can see how more playing time right now would be good for him.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I said before, I was pretty sure Baer was gone sometime this year, I just wish they did it a different, more respectful way

Benning did say that he tried to trade him.  I don't blame any GM for not wanting to go there based on his concussion issues.  The hit that took him out was not very hard but was very well directed.  I really hope that those days are behind him

• Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

But Baertschi played better than Eriksson & Schaller in the pre-season. He played better than Eriksson & Schaller last year. He's played better than Eriksson since Loui signed. 

If anything one of these guys deserve to be sent down. Loui's legs are shot & Schaller's brought nothing. Sven can actually score goals. What happens if Pearson struggles? Loui in the top 6 again?

Why don't we wait to see if he's picked up before jumping to conclusions? If he clears, it's all good

• Cheers 2

I never said it was or had to be a checking line Leivo provided 5 more actual goals than Baertschi last season. Leivo has the size and health edge as well and Schaller will be the 4th line/13th forward. 

That Leivo stat is somewhat skewed by the fact that Leivo played 50 more games that Baertschi did. 

Leivo may have the size, speed, and health advantage, but he's not a dynamic offensive player. Not even close. I can't possibly fathom a line of Leivo, Sutter and Virtanen providing any sort of offensive upside, as not only are they all offensively undynamic, but none of them have any real semblance of playmaking ability. Baertschi, by contrast, would have provided an element to that line that would have made them much more dynamic, much more dangerous, and could have potentially taken some of the pressure off the top two lines to score. As it stands right now, if our top two lines aren't going, we're not scoring. 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That Leivo stat is somewhat skewed by the fact that Leivo played 50 more games that Baertschi did. 

Leivo may have the size, speed, and health advantage, but he's not a dynamic offensive player. Not even close. I can't possibly fathom a line of Leivo, Sutter and Virtanen providing any sort of offensive upside, as not only are they all offensively undynamic, but none of them have any real semblance of playmaking ability. Baertschi, by contrast, would have provided an element to that line that would have made them much more dynamic, much more dangerous, and could have potentially taken some of the pressure off the top two lines to score. As it stands right now, if our top two lines aren't going, we're not scoring. 

No it's not skewed its the fact your missing Baertschi has NEVER played a full season. Sorry man wadr actual goals>>>>>>>potential goals

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KeslerWho? said:

Hate is the wrong word; he seems to be on a decent amount of peoples cut lists

Those people are out of it. He’s a PP1 guy now, middle 6 player. He ain’t going anywhere

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

No thanks.

Ya I was taking to iBatch not you.

Edited by J-23

No it's not skewed its the fact your missing Baertschi has NEVER played a full season. Sorry man wadr actual goals>>>>>>>potential goals

That's disingenuous and you know it. It's like saying McDavid isn't even a 50 point player after his first season.

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But Baertschi played better than Eriksson & Schaller in the pre-season. He played better than Eriksson & Schaller last year. He's played better than Eriksson since Loui signed. 

If anything one of these guys deserve to be sent down. Loui's legs are shot & Schaller's brought nothing. Sven can actually score goals. What happens if Pearson struggles? Loui in the top 6 again?

Eriksson better defensively, Schaller the better 4th liner/13th forward both healthier in their stint here, not that hard to figure out. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

Why don't we wait to see if he's picked up before jumping to conclusions? If he clears, it's all good

I’m bored af right now and need to entertain myself.

He probably does clear tbh.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1