The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Ferland, Miller, Pearson>>>>>>> Sven wadr 

Maybe, maybe not. I'll give you Miller without question, but  Ferland's PPG average is roughly on par with Baer's, and Baer has more seasons as an offensive threat under his belt. Sure, he's missed a lot more time, but at this point you're virtually guaranteed a .5 PPG + player with Baer. With Ferland, I'd say it's a bit more up in the air. As for Pearson, if he slips into a funk like he was in for most of last season, well....the numbers will speak for themselves. 

And furthermore, even if all three forwards you mentioned are better than Baer. Even if they put up better numbers, you still need three lines that can score if you want to be successful. Having a dynamic offensive force like Baertschi on your 3rd line could really give other teams headaches. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

So then you yourself are saying it is JB that does not want to send Loui down. You yourself are saying JB telling Aqua he is sending loui down is JB admitting he blew that signing to the guy that pays him.

There you go. You solved the riddle yourself. It is JB that wants Loui up. It has nothing to do with Aqua. Read your own posts and connect the dots Alf!

I see why I’m confusing some people. :picard:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aquilini already paid Loui 5 of the 6 million for this coming season.  JB said that his conversation with Aquilini about sending 

Gagner to the minors was the worst one he’s ever had.  From this I infer that JB discussed sending Loui down and Aquilini said to find another option.  IMO Aquilini is hoping Baer will be claimed.  

Does it not make more sense to you infer that JB did not want that conversation because in it he admitted to screwing up the contract???

And if JB had to have another similar conversation with Aqua that JB would AGAIN have to admit he made an even bigger screw up in signing Loui?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe, maybe not. I'll give you Miller without question, but  Ferland's PPG average is roughly on par with Baer's, and Baer has more seasons as an offensive threat under his belt. Sure, he's missed a lot more time, but at this point you're virtually guaranteed a .5 PPG + player with Baer. With Ferland, I'd say it's a bit more up in the air. As for Pearson, if he slips into a funk like he was in for most of last season, well....the numbers will speak for themselves. 

And furthermore, even if all three forwards you mentioned are better than Baer. Even if they put up better numbers, you still need three lines that can score if you want to be successful. Having a dynamic offensive force like Baertschi on your 3rd line could really give other teams headaches. 

Had Baertschi played a full season before I'd agree with you but with Gaudette’s play and the three I mentioned he just ended up drawing the short straw. It's not as big of a deal anymore as what is being made of it on here wadr. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Had Baertschi played a full season before I'd agree with you but with Gaudette’s play and the three I mentioned he just ended up drawing the short straw. It's not as big of a deal anymore as what is being made of it on here wadr. 

Since we're bringing Gaudette into the equation, he showed more chemistry with Baertschi than he did with anyone else in the lineup. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Does it not make more sense to you infer that JB did not want that conversation because in it he admitted to screwing up the contract???

And if JB had to have another similar conversation with Aqua that JB would AGAIN have to admit he made an even bigger screw up in signing Loui?

You make a good connection.  That’s not what I was trying to say, but it makes sense.  Does it make any sense for Green to want Loui gone, and (not getting his wish) he puts Loui in the press box?  I guess I’m wondering if our owner, JB, and Green are all in agreement about keeping Loui over Baer?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Could have had all four.

Its not about the additions being better. We could have had 4 balanced lines now our depth on the left is lacking.

Look at any legit playoff team and they have 4 lines that can score. We’ll be lucky to get 35 goals from our 3rd line. Which puts a lot more pressure on the top 6.

Wow...talk about being disingenuous!!   3rd line:

Leivo  24 points last year (between Tor/Van 14 goals)

Sutter  29-40 (in a close to full season so 13-21 goals)

Virtanen  20-25 (10-15 goals)

Total = so if we take both Leivo and Virt at their lowest pts per then that line gets 73

But you say "We’ll be lucky to get 35 goals from our 3rd line".

Haha..yeah ok pal.  :picard:

Edit: my bad. I thought you typed points not goals.  So then our 3rd line based on past history would have maybe 37 goals at the low end or 50 on the high end)

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 3

Since we're bringing Gaudette into the equation, he showed more chemistry with Baertschi than he did with anyone else in the lineup. 

I don't disagree but with Gaudette being a righty he is destined for RW or C and that still leaves Baertschi as the odd man out on the left side. 

Just now, Alflives said:

You make a good connection.  That’s not what I was trying to say, but it makes sense.  Does it make any sense for Green to want Loui gone, and (not getting his wish) he puts Loui in the press box?  I guess I’m wondering if our owner, JB, and Green are all in agreement about keeping Loui over Baer?  

Fear not, Alf-man..predicting LouiE gets flipped to Ottawa. He has a Melnyk-friendly contract.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How does that make Baer the odd man out?

Simple

Miller>Baer

Ferland>Baer

Pearson>Baer

equals no more open spots. And one of those three will be playing on their offside and imo better suited for that than Baer as well. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

You people are losing sleep over a 15 goal scorer.

Miller(15?) + Ferland(18?) + a full season of Pearson(18?)/Leivo(15?)+ Gaudette(10?) in the lineup gives us roughly 75+. Take a deep breath, everythings gonna be fine. 

Edited by Dombrova22
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Simple

Miller>Baer

Ferland>Baer

Pearson>Baer

equals no more open spots. And one of those three will be playing on their offside and imo better suited for that than Baer as well. 

Miller will be playing RW, which leaves the LW spot on the 3rd line open. Leivo and Schaller are the guys he'd be competing with, and both are fringe NHLers.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Virtanen plays on the right and is better defensively and Leivo is more versatile so I disagree. 

Sorry 73, I’m just confused at this decision and disagree with it. I’d rather have Baer as one of our 3 LW’s. Good depth can move him up and down the lineup if any injuries. What if Pearson and Bo don’t click anymore or Gaudette not the same guy we saw in preseason.

Feel like the team wants to get rid of him because of his injury history

Edited by J-23

Miller will be playing RW, which leaves the LW spot on the 3rd line open. Leivo and Schaller are the guys he'd be competing with, and both are fringe NHLers.

But better suited in the bottom 6 thatn Baertschi ergo no room for Baertschi. He is simply the odd man out and rightfully so wadr 

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Sorry 73, I’m just confused at this decision and disagree with it. I’d rather have Baer as one of our 3 LW’s. Good depth can move him up and down the lineup if any injuries. What if Pearson and about don’t click anymore or Gaudette not the same guy we saw in preseason.

Feel like the team wants to get rid of him because of his injury history

That is a lot of what ifs to base on to make room for a player who has never played a full season. The fact that we have enough depth to push a borderline top 6 forward in Baertschi out of the lineup is fantastic.

• Cheers 4